New Med Flight Project In Progress

Hey Gang,

I'm working on 3 models depicting the generations of Med Flight 1. I'm doing 1x 1/32 BK-117 (old ship) and 2x 1/32 EC-135s in the old and current paint scheme. I'm using various photos for reference. Here are some pictures of the interior of the EC-135.

I had to scratch build the following

-Stretcher cushon (Made from balsa)

-Added railing to the stretcher. (Used styrene scrap)

-Seat Cushons (Made from balsa stock)

-Belts and starps. (Made from medical tape and styrene scrap)

-various equipment and accesories. (Pouches are from Balsa stock, Overhead console from stryene sheet, various bags from cast urethane resin and Mr. Sculppy other stuff from runner scrap, twist ties, styrene scrap.)

Those of you who are familiar with the kit, you'll notice I modified the rear seating position and far rear seat with the seat belts.

Sorry, my digital camera isn't the greatest.

MdFtInt1.jpg

MdFtInt2.jpg

No such thing as "out of the box". Thats what makes model building so much fun!

Cheers

John

As usual awesome work John!! :whistle:

You do a great job on esp the EC135. I have built more than a handful of them but have not been able to get results like yours! The kit ofcourse has its problems and fit issues and I find it hard to overcome these.

Your interiors are amazing, about time you build an EC135 with opened doors I guess!

What version of the EC135 do you use as starting point? I find the Swedish Polis- version the best, because of the much improved landing gear.

Funny: I have two 1:32 EC135's on the bench right now,and the difference in mould quality is striking: one kit (Swedish Polis) goes together reasonably well, while the second (Bundesgrenzschutz) appears to be too "narrow" or the front windscreen is too wide!

Question: I read here and there that to obtain a proper EC135P (or -T?), the tailfin should be shortened. Do you know how many mm I should remove?

Thanks in advance, and keep us informed!

:worship:

Gertjan

Everyone, Thanks for the kind words.

Gertjan

Never heard anything regarding shortening the tail fin. The only thing I know of with the earlier kits is the lower tail fin needs to be bigger and the v-stabilisers need to be replaced with larger ones.

The kits I've managed to obtain are the ADAC EC-135s. Having a molding background myself, I am always examining the parts. Big difference as to who was molding at the time or when it was molded during a production run. (start, middle, end.). Flash, warpage, flowlines, britllness; big difference between the two kits I'm building. The one is a mess and the other is pretty clean. I have noticed the newer kits are molded much better. I have a German Polizie kit and that one is sharp.

When it comes to picking a kit, the final price makes my final decision.

As for open doors. I have a horrible time cutting doors open. No matter how clean I try to do the job, It turns into such a hack. So I quite while I'm ahead, patch the damage and never do it again. LOL!

Cheers :huh:

Happy New

John

• 8 months later...

Hey Gang,

Here's the latest update on my project. These were the two paint schemes of Med Flight 1. Sadly, the EC-135s will be replaced with by EC-130s.

I have some small details to finish up and the 135's will be finished. Next will be the BK-117.

You can see the progress and other builds on my new, official webapge. www.airmedicalpost.com/builds.html

Picturex96.jpg

Picturex98.jpg

Hope all is well.

John

Edited by AirMedical

John,

Do you know why they would be going to a smaller helicopter? To me it doesn't make any sense to use anything smaller then a BO-105. I think they were great for getting into and out of small places. In another turn of events, Sky Flight Care out of Brandywine Hospital has closed down. They were about the fastest and safest helicopter around our county. They had BO-105s then they bought a MD-900 NOTAR and now went belly up. John you should have seen how the BO-105s were painted and maintained, immaculate.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I'm sure it boils down to the economy, maintenance/operating costs aswell as what health insurance comapnies are willing to pay to cover flights. I'm sure theirs more to it than that. Med Flight is a non-profit program. They originally were called Grant Life Flight in the 80's. They had a BO-105 and 2 BK-117s. Then they merged with SkyMed of OSU (S-76A & BO-105) to form Med Flight of Ohio. Again, an effort to reduce cost and competition.

The BO-105 was put to rest a couple years ago and is no longer being manufactured. So it will be a matter of time before support dwindles down and parts become scarce. The BO-105 is a good ship but it is an older machine and subject to being replaced with new technology. Hence the EC-135. (Which was the BO-108). Acadian AirMed is slowly replacing their 105's with EC-135s. A pilot I know that flies for them loves the 105 but is impressed with the 135. In general, many programs are dropping the larger helicopter (S-76, 412, Dauphin)for either smaller twins (A109, BK117, EC145, EC135)or going to single engine (Astar, EC-130, 407, A-119) or forming joint ventures or worst case, closing their doors. Times are tough on everyone. Helicopters are very expensive to run.

I remember when SkyCare was called Aeromedics flying a A-109C. They had a great PR department and they were great to chat with!. But when they became SkyCare. The PR changed. My experiance with them..... Not exactly what I would call warm and fuzzy. When they closed their doors. I wasn't really too suprised.

The EC-130 is a cross between the Alouette III (width of fuslage), 350 Astar. (powerplant and mechcanics) and the EC-135 (fenestron & avionics). Kind of a best of both worlds machine. There have been more programs starting to get them. Tulsa Life Flight, Univ. of Iowa Air Care, LifeNet of Georgia/Alabama & MedFlight of Oklahoma to name a few.

Now if someone would just make 1/48th and 1/32nd scale models of the EC-130 we would be in good shape. Hello Revell? Hello Heller? Anyone!? PLEASE!!!

Hope all is well

John