'Hangar Queen' Diorama. 1/72 Scale

I did a little more spraying of olive drab over the muck around the fuel fillers to tone down the dirt. Looks a bit more subtle now, though the camera flash did make it look more harsh than it really was. It's been baking hot here today, and not really the weather to be doing anything until the temp drops a bit! It's never just nice in England, always extremes!

I've done some more detail painting and weathering this morning. Exhausts and superchargers are painted, a little water staining along the bottom of the fuselage, and some Future where the few decals are going. Waiting for the future to harden now so the stars can go on, then a little more weathering over the top and almost there. Landing gear was also painted this morning.

Just remembered I still have hinge points to make and squadron codes to add, but other than that, it's finished. I've no decals, so the squadron codes will have to be painted.

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Jumping back a few steps, here's the painted superchargers. The colour is based on photographs I have of the B-17G on display at RAF Hendon.

fort117.jpg

Once the Future was dry on the wing, the large star was added. It is seen here after about three applications of Microsol, and is still settling.

fort118.jpg

The starboard side star fell right across the flak hole. It was applied as normal and then drowned in tons of Microsol until it conformed to the twisted metal. Once it had hardened off to some degree, the excess overhanging the hole was trimmed away with the scalpel.

fort123.jpg

The landing gear was missing one drag strut. I don't know if this is a kit error or whether they were just knocked off my kit parts. Replacements were made from thin brass wire. Some 1/4 x 1/8 strip wood was cut up on my bandsaw, stained, and glued together to represent the planks seen in the original "Hangar Queen" picture I based the model on.

fort180.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

In this picture, you can see one of the main fuel tanks sticking out of the wing tip. I didn't realise this tank spanned the wing joint until I found a picture of the CAF B-17 "Texas Raiders" undergoing its rebuild.

fort147.jpg

fort188.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Being so close to the finish line now, I got straight back on to the B-17 this morning. Elevator hinges were made from thin copper wire, bent into a V shape, and inserted into two small holes drilled in the tailplane trailing edge.

fort205.jpg

Because the wing section is thinner, and hinges smaller for the ailerons, the copper wire was doubled back on itself like a split pin, but with one very short leg, and one long. The long leg was inserted into a drilled hole, leaving about 3/32 inch of length sticking out of the wing.

fort206.jpg