'Hangar Queen' Diorama. 1/72 Scale

I had every intention of a full day's modelling today, and even made a start. However, the hot sunny weather resulted in me changing to do my Spring maintenance on my Willys Jeep. Engine, diffs, gearbox, transfer case and steering gear oils checked/replaced, nipples greased, brake shoes reset etc.

The B-17 did receive some attention first. The hole where the fin was removed was filled with styrene, shaped and filled, and all the seams were sanded, and filled, then the filler was left to harden in the sun. The filler on the tailplane false trailing edges was rubbed down, tail turret joined, landing gear trimmed from the sprue and cleaned up too.

fort82.jpg

fort83.jpg

Am I right in thinking the Academy kit has an issue with the dihedral? and I presume that Airfix did nothing to correct this when they re-boxed the kit? Looking at the angle of the wing root, it does look a bit excessive.

Am I right in thinking the Academy kit has an issue with the dihedral? and I presume that Airfix did nothing to correct this when they re-boxed the kit? Looking at the angle of the wing root, it does look a bit excessive.

Yeah, it's pretty excessive. When I dry-fitted my Academy Forts, the wingtips ended up even with the top of the fuselage!

I was thinking of either adding a shim to the top of the wing root or sanding the bottom of the wing joint down to reduce the angle.

<_<

• 2 weeks later...

3M Acrylic Red Putty.

stopper.jpg

Ah, I'm using 3M bondo glazing and spot putty. Looks the same.

Is/are your choices due to a cost differance between products such as Squadron,Tamiya, Milliput? or because your choice is better in some other way ?

I can get a 409 gram ( 14.4 ounce ) tube at trade price through where I work. It dries fast, sands easy and is cheap for me. It is much used in the automotive industry in the respray shops.

PS I've never used Tamiya or Squadron.

Edited by Army_Air_Force

I can get a 409 gram ( 14.4 ounce ) tube at trade price through where I work. It dries fast, sands easy and is cheap for me. It is much used in the automotive industry in the respray shops.

PS I've never used Tamiya or Squadron.

Thank you for the reply. That sounds like a good thing for you.

Saddly my days of getting things through work are over......

I retiredhappy0005.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've done nothing on the Fort over the Easter holidays as I've been elbow deep in engine oil, grease and brake fluid. I started doing the Springtime service on the Weapons Carrier, and ran into trouble with the brakes. I've had the truck since September, but the unusual hot dry weather this April, gave me the first opportunity to get the overhaul done on the driveway. The pictures of the wheel cylinders speak for themselves.

brakes_wheel_cylinder1.jpg

brakes_wheel_cylinder4.jpg

Master brake cylinder, scored and leaking....

brakes_master_cylinder2.jpg

and bodged fixings for the brake shoes.

hub_rear_left5.jpg

There were also 101 other small irritations, such as rusted bolts, waiting for parts and possibly a slightly warped drum, which resulted in 7 full days work to get it moving again. So that's where all the Bank Holidays and weekends went over the last couple of weeks! Too many hobbies and not enough time, but with the end of the group build not far away, I should really get my finger out as my Fort is quite close to painting now.

Edited by Army_Air_Force