'Hangar Queen' Diorama. 1/72 Scale

but the unusual hot dry weather this April,

Those of us in Ohio can't sympathize.

Seriously though do you take the Weapons carrier to air shows and meets and such?

I always see the reenactments at shows and think that would be cool as heck to do and awesome to own something like that.

Yes, both my Jeep and Dodge clock up a number of miles going to events each year, usually around twenty between March and October. Both are marked up as airfield vehicles, the Jeep a 'Follow Me' vehicle, and the Dodge a mobile 'Flying Control' vehicle.

I've had a few working weekends too....

p51a8.jpg

leeming6.jpg

wash13.jpg

dli_feb1.jpg

Glad you're haven' a good time with your 1:1 scale models, they look super.

Was delighted to see you have left them in their "original configuration" (i.e. left hand drive) lends an air of the ol' import mystic-eh?---just kidding.

Seriously they both look great and am glad you get a chance to realy use them in real life vs a static display.

p.s. here in Southern California we are having our usual spectacular weather too. The rest to the country -not so much :whistle:

(THAT'S why I live here rather than there) :rofl:

p.s. here in Southern California we are having our usual spectacular weather too. The rest to the country -not so much :whistle:

(THAT'S why I live here rather than there) :rofl:

Yeah, the rest of the country is bad but there is the joke about cali falling into the ocean. Plus, I get rain and snow but never had an earthquake, you can have that!

We get everything here in the North East UK. Sun, rain, hail, snow, wind, fog; usually within 10 minutes of each other!!! Forest fires right now; tornados too, more per square mile than any other country, though few cause severe damage. Even earth quakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got all the new/refurbished brake parts fitted to the Dodge on Friday and it's all working again. So I'd like to get some primer and grey sprayed on the Fort today. Pictures hopefully later. I need to get my finger out, there's not much time left in the group build!

I got the primer on the Fort, but then found several small areas that needed more filler!

fort92.jpg

I personally like the wing venting and the funnel on the dorsal, it makes your model--uh--unique!roll.gif

Seriously: Very nice job AAF

I haven't taken any more photos yet since I sprayed the grey. Must do that later! How about you Mark, have you managed to get anything done recently? ( other than get us all a build date extension!! )

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Nope... aside from the radio's and the tool box, nothing. I'm going to take a break from the fuselage I think... as that is about 80% of the build, and 100% of my frustrations right now, and think I might work on the wheel wells, and click into the wings for a while.

Anywho, can't wait to see more of the Queen!

Cheers,

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Would you believe me if I told you I'd spent most of the day working on the B-17? and there's pictures to prove it!

The first thing to do was to mask off the underside grey. This was a combination of paper and masking tape over the larger areas, and 'Blu-tack' sausages on the dividing line between the olive drab and grey. The nose section was masked out with wet tissue and the waist and radio hatches with pieces of foam.

fort95.jpg

A few different shades of olive drab were sprayed around the model, but the overall colour is a fairly tired, faded OD. 'Blu-tack' was then used to mask out the areas of wing behind the wing vents.

fort93.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

All of the wing vents masked out ready to spray. The left side dirt trails are generally straight, while the right side curve inwards. This is a combination of the interaction of the air passing over the wing and being drawn inward at the trailing edge where the air is sucked under the fuselage, and it's interaction with the prop wash. The fuselage side seems to block the spiralling effect on the port side, but not on the starboard side.

fort96.jpg

A few shades of black were then sprayed freehand across the nacelles. When the 'Blu-tack' was peeled away, the edges were a little harder than I wanted.

fort99.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

To help correct the vent pattern, a thin lithoplate mask was cut and held just above the wing while combinations of olive drab and black were sprayed through until I got the result I wanted.

fort100.jpg

Here's the finished result. The staining was added to with slight cream/browns after the black. The colours look odd both indoors with the flash and out doors under natural light. I'm going to have to mess around with the camera settings when it's finally finished to get a nice true looking picture.

fort103.jpg

The underside had a light dusting of exhaust staining.

fort102.jpg

Topside, outdoors, with the flash. Still can't get true colours!

fort104.jpg

Now for some detail painting! We're getting close now, but still relieved the group build was extended.

Did a little more detail painting tonight. Touched up the bare metal areas in silver, and some of the interior green, plus a bit of dry brushing dirt around the fuel filler caps from all the ground crews crawling around while it was operational. The camera flash exagerates the contrast between the colours, and it actually looks much more tame in real life.

fort105.jpg

fort109.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force