Sabre 2 and Sabre 4 - NMF

With the completion of the 416 Sqn Sabre, 2 Wing is completely represented. I have decided that for my next installment, I will build two Swords at the same time. Again, appearance and not complete accuracy are the rules of the day.

The first will represent a Mark 2 from 410 Sqn. I'll be using CanMilAir sheet #496

http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=63&pg=29

The second will be a Mark 4 from 422 Sqn using Model Alliance sheet MA-120. It'll be dressed as the middle Sabre shown in the attached page below.

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/ma120...ysia-p-138.html

I've already started construction. With the overall aluminum finish, there will be minimal masking so that should speed up the painting process considerably. When I get these two done, who knows what I'll do next.

Thanks for looking and I'll post photos later.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

:)

Oh but will you have 5 for a new group shot in Hamilton? I'm rootin' for ya!!!! :wacko:

:woo:

Emil

Edited for stupid spelling mistakes....... brain and fingers not working....... need beer.

Edited by Emvar
:whistle:

Oh but will you have 5 for a new group shot in Hamilton? I'm rootin' for ya!!!! :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Emil

Edited for stupid spelling mistakes....... brain and fingers not working....... need beer.

Maaaaaaaaayyyyybbbeeeeeeeee I will...but undecided.

Some progress made. This joint build isn't going to be as labour intensive as I thought.

Side vents sanded off and areas that need to be filled are filled.

Intake runners and exhaust pipes are glued together.

Wings joined.

Wheels glued together.

One set of drop tanks glued together. 410 Sqn Sabre will be a clean wing.

Holes in top of wing for kit supplied wing fences have been filled. This will be the 422 Sqn Sabre.

Lots of cockpit pieces assembled, taped up and ready for painting.

Seats drilled out to accept seatbelts.

Seat cushions fashioned from folded paper towel and Tamiya tape.

Speed brake covers glued in place.

I'll post some photos when the cockpit has been painted and assembled; probably in a few days.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

After a busy weekend and a three day project management course, I was able to snap a couple of photos of what I managed to get done over the weekend. The cockpit tubs have been painted and completed. They have been glued to the top of the intake runner and weights have been glued in place. Both cockpit assemblies are identical. The one in the photo will be the 410 Sqn Sabre.

410Cockpit1.jpg

410Cockpit2.jpg

410NoseWeights.jpg

Here are photos of the decal packaging and sheets. Note the plethora of schemes (8) available on the Model Alliance sheet.

410 Sqn

410Decals1.jpg

410Decals2.jpg

422 Sqn

422Decals1.jpg

411Decals2.jpg

I'm off tomorrow (Thursday) so I'll get a bit more done over the course of the day.

Thanks for looking and I'll post more photos as more progress is made. As always, thoughts and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Mike

Mike

Esthetically pleasing, as always! Quite unlike tonight's hockey game (Habs/Sens)... hope you didn't attend that disaster.

Looking forward to more progress pics, mon ami.

ALF

Emil / Ken / ALF,

Thanks for the encouragement my friends. The fuselages have been closed and canopy glass dipped in Future. It's been curing for a couple of days. All I need is to mask it for painting before attaching it to the fuselage. A few seam lines have been filled and will be sanded before priming.

Fortunately, I didn't pay any money to watch the turd burger delivered by the Sens on Friday night. That was horrendous. It was worse than the pile of doo-doo they left in Philly the night before. :thumbsup::shoot::explode::bandhead2::soapbox:

We were at the Anaheim game on Tuesday night. They ended up losing in a shootout but they played an all around great game. Good hustle. Good fore and back check. If not for a couple of posts, for both teams, the score could have been 4-3 for the Sens. I don't mind them losing as long as they put forward and decent and honest effort and play to their ability. I see a bunch of individuals on the ice and not a team. Everybody wants to 'do it themselves'. The guys making the big bucks should be force to repay some of their salaries. I don't think coach Clousten and GM Bryan Murray will be around much longer. I gues they have earned the title 'Coach Killer'.

Gonna watch a bit of Hockey Night in Canada before hitting the hay. Working days shift again tomorrow. Gotta get up at 04early hours. Will get some work done on these Swords on Monday and Tuesday. I hope to get to the mostly assembled and ready for paint stage by Tuesday afternoon. We have stubs for the Sens / Sabres (how ironic is that!) game on Tuesday night.

Will post some more photos when more has been completed.

Thanks for looking in guys. I appreciate it.

Mike

Edited by AX 365
  • 2 weeks later...
Looking really good! That front office is looking superb.

Thanks Mark. Just a few dabs on select switches and knobs from a toothpick dabbed in red paint, tape belts, a thin sprue buckle and a paper towel / tape seat cushion painted tan along with the kit supplied decal for the IP. Presto!

I've sprayed the Alclad White Aluminum on both models over a primer of light (almost white) grey. They turned out quite nice. It helped make the red nose band and the red tail plane on the 422 Sqn Sabre stand out. The grey is so light, I won't have to paint the white nosecap in front of the red noseband. The red wingtips of the 410 Sqn Sword look good too. I hope to mask and paint the anti glare panels and the fibreglass panels on the top of the vertical stab tomorrow sometime.

Not sure how much progress I'm going to make in the next little bit though. I put my back out on Monday (still going to the chiropractor) and I was diagnosed about an hour ago with shingles on the left side of my face, neck, ear and in my scalp. The blisters / welts are sore and the vision in my left eye is a bit blurred. The doctor, who I know on a professional level, assures me there's no problem with the eye itself. I just have to be very careful when the blisters break. That's when things could get dicey.

Sorry there are no photos but hopefully I'll post a few after I get the Swords completely painted but before I add the decals.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Anti glare panels and fibreglass vertical stabilizer bits painted. Now I have to mask the wheel wells, gun ports and exhaust opening. Should hopefully have that done and painted by tomorrow afternoon. I'll post photos when that's complete.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

All masking and painting done, for the most part. I have to remask and respray the area inside the 422 intake. I got some red overspray on the light grey area. A minor annoyance but a quick fix. Here's the results so far. Main bodies are Alclad White Aluminum sprayed over MM Light Grey. Gun ports and exhaust area is Alclad Steel. All red areas painted with MM Guards Red. MM Light Grey is at front opening of 422 Sabre. All blacks are MM Flat Black. Wheel wells are MM Interior Green.

410 Sqn - clean wing - photos of top side and bottom

410TopRight.jpg

410Bottom.jpg

422 Sqn - to be equipped with aluminum tanks

422TopLeft.jpg

422Bottom.jpg

422Tail2.jpg

422HorizontalSatbilizers.jpg

422NoseBands.jpg

Wheels were sprayed with Alclad Aluminum and then brush painted with MM Flat Black

Wheels.jpg

WheelCloseUp2.jpg

Decaling will begin tomorrow if my eyesight permits. My left eye is swelling shut and the vision I do have is a bit blurry. #&%)(*&@^% shingles!!!!

Thanks for looking my friends. Comments and constructive criticism is always welcome. Again, I'm going for look and not accuracy.

Cheers!

Mike

Well, I'm calling these two complete. I finished the 410 Sqn Sword last night and the 422 Sqn Sabre this morning. There are no sealing coats on either aircraft. All the decals were applied over gloss paints.

410and422NosetoNose.jpg

410and422SidebySide.jpg

There were no issues with CanMilAir Decals for the 410 Sqn Sabre. Followed the directions and they went down perfectly. A little Solvaset and they snuggled down very nicely.

410Top.jpg

410RightRear2.jpg

410RightRear1.jpg

There were a few issues with the Model Alliance decals. Thank goodness I laid down a coat of liquid decal film. Some decals cracked while others didn't. The tail stripes and the tomahawk / stripe decal on the right side were the ones that gave me the biggest problems with cracking. None of the roundels or XB758 serial on the fuselage or under the wings gave me any problems. I don't understand. Fortunately, all were salvageable. Upon looking at the decals on the sheet, they appear to be individually printed but when you cut the from the sheet, you have to remove the carrier film quite close to the decal. It's almost is if they're ALPS printed. The tail stripes were a real PITA. In retrospect, it would have been just as easy to paint them as I'd shot a lot of red on the tail surfaces. Masking wouldn't have been that big a deal. Oh well. Live and learn.

422RightSide.jpg

422LeftSide.jpg

422Top.jpg

422Front.jpg

Both Sabres have the intake and exhaust covers in place.

Thanks for looking and, as always, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Very pretty, Mike! Now that I see those two beauties, darn it if it doesn't make me rethink my idea of doing a CF-5D next... My 1/32 Sabre is starting to call out to me... 'build me...'

Good technique on ensuring the tail stripes are out of focus in the pic where you complained about cracking decals. Selective photography and intelligent use of focus anomalies can always help... :thumbsup:

ALF

Thanks for the feedback my friends. Like some women I know; good from far but far from good. There's method to my photography madness and you've gone and spilled the beans ALF. Thanks! :jaw-dropping:

Barney - I used Model Master Light Grey FS36495 as the primer. I've never used gloss black as a primer for an Alclad finish. I understand that you only NEED to used gloss black as a primer if your spraying Alclad's high shine finishes. I've never used the high shine colours. On my 1/32 Sabre, AX365 version 2, I sprayed white aluminum over flat black sealed with a gloss coat.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....40&start=40

I like the way it turned out. I will be adventurous one of these days and attempt an Alclad high shine finish.

Take care, boys.

Mike

Shawn / Al,

Thanks for the kind words guys. I initially bought the MA sheet for the 421 Sqn markings but I really liked the 422 Sqn markings that were included on the sheet. I've had the sheet for a while so I figured it was time to use them. I found out that one of the guys I work with is the son of an original 'Tomahawk' when 422 was reformed at Uplands. Bill Jupp also flew Halifaxes with 415 Sqn during the war. He was also my brother and sister's music teacher when they were in high school here it Ottawa. What a small world.

As for working, I'm taking as much time off as I can to see how I'll enjoy retirement. So far, retirement seems like a pretty good thing. I can go, with 60% pension, in just less than four years. I've come to the realization that the Service will survive and crime will continue whether I'm there or not. The place will not fall down because I'm not there. This mindset will make my transition to retirement much easier to handle.

As for working, I'm taking as much time off as I can to see how I'll enjoy retirement. So far, retirement seems like a pretty good thing. I can go, with 60% pension, in just less than four years. I've come to the realization that the Service will survive and crime will continue whether I'm there or not. The place will not fall down because I'm not there. This mindset will make my transition to retirement much easier to handle.

And here I'm thinking 13 more for me which would give me 35 years service and 55 years of age...... My crew mates both have just over 30 years each and are just waiting for a 'package' to push them out. When they leave I think I might just transition into management as I can't work with these young kids nowadays. They have no work ethic nor do they have any respect for the work or others.