P-51D aka F-6D Dragon 1/32

Good day all.

This is my first post of my first WWII aircraft build since I was a kid.

Be kind. I'm new at this.

Anyway here we go. Step 1 was the engine so here is how things started.

Most painting is done with Vallejo and Citidel acrylics brush painted.

Cheers

Zoomer

1-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

You're progressing nicely with good results for being new at this. However, with the subject kit, don't be surprised when parts (i.e. cockit floor) don't seem to fit. It's not you, it's the kit. Unless Dragon fixed it, the cockpit floor is too narrow to fit in the fuselage halves. Also, the windscreen will also need to be reworked to fit correctly. There may be some other sticky areas but those are the two that jump to mind immediately when the 1/32 Dragon P-51D (and the F-6) are mentioned. There are other accuracy issues with the kit but I don't need to go into them if you're just building the kit as a shelf sitter.... Enjoy and good luck with your project. :whistle:

You're progressing nicely with good results for being new at this. However, with the subject kit, don't be surprised when parts (i.e. cockit floor) don't seem to fit. It's not you, it's the kit. Unless Dragon fixed it, the cockpit floor is too narrow to fit in the fuselage halves. Also, the windscreen will also need to be reworked to fit correctly. There may be some other sticky areas but those are the two that jump to mind immediately when the 1/32 Dragon P-51D (and the F-6) are mentioned. There are other accuracy issues with the kit but I don't need to go into them if you're just building the kit as a shelf sitter.... Enjoy and good luck with your project. :)

Thanks timc. Yeah this one is strictly for fun OOB just to get my modelling skils sharpened up again. I've heard about the accuracy and fit issues here at ARC, but I'm not too worried. As you said it's only bound for the shelf. Modelling should be fun, and for me that means getting it togather and getting some paint on. Ficticious markings don't bother me much, so I'll likely bend some "rules" in that department.

I'll post more as I get a chance.

Cheers

Zoomer

There is an article on recce-Mustang ace C.B. East in this months Air Classics magazine. 14 victories is quite a record for a recon pilot.

Good luck with the Dragon kit, I understand it to be a bit problematic. But so is pretty much EVERY other Mustang kit on the market. Jerry Rutman's resin kit looks like a thing of beauty but it's still in pre-production. Your's looks good so far, keep up the good work and fight the good fight.

Edited by Expat Tomcat

Looks great Zoomer!! Glad you figured out photobucket!! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

By the way, I still have a mug from Doc that I was supposed to deliver to you. I need to pop down on a Tuesday night at the Unit.

Cheers,

Tilt

Thanks guys.

Yeah I have a lot of pictures to post. I just have to get them in the right order LOL.

I'll be describing my methods as I go along, so maybe with some constructive criticism, it'll come out all right.

Yo, Tilt. C'mon down to the unit anytime, you know you're always welcome. We even have a functioning coffee pot, but you'll have to bring your own mug. Or you could use Doc's!! LOL.

Cheers

Zoomer

ZOOMER,

The engine is very neat..and already you have the detailed mind of yours working fast on this one..

Keep it going.

Be back for more soon :D

HOLMES :salute:

Thank you Holmes.

I have more to post, I just have to remember how heh heh heh.

Cheers

Zoomer

After the engine was glued together, it went for a warm soapy bath. I noticed that the sprues in this kit were REALLY covered with a slimy mold release agent. Brush painting started with Vallejo Reaper Series paint. I use dark greys to represent black because to my eye, it just looks better. Followed up with a lighter grey bry brush and the first wash using Citadel Badab Black.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Hope you like them.

Cheers

Zoomer

Good afternoon all.

Continuing on, the small parts were painted in colours using photos for reference that I found on the web, rather than any particular prototype.

I just went with whatever I thought would break up the overall black colours. I'm not sure abour the specific equipment on the engine, so please disregard my descriptions if they are incorrect. My goal was to get some colour down, whether it is historically acurate or not didn't bother me. Modelling is supposed to be fun right?

For instance, the parts along the side were painted a base colour of Vallejo Reaper 194 Clouded Sea, follwed by a wash of 193 Stormy Sea, and completed with a drybrushing of 195 Seafoam Blue. The Vallejo Reaper colours are really easy to work with, and becasue they're acrylic, they dry quickly or I sometimes use and old hair dryer to speed the process:

10.jpg

11.jpg

More detail painting followed using Citadel acrylic Adeptus Battlegrey for the "hose" and the end "filter" painted Citadel Boltgun Metal. The "hose clamps" were made using bare metal foil:

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

All the boltheads on the engine were picked out with a fine brush using Citadel Mithril Silver:

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

A further wash of Citadel Gryphone Sepia along the oil pan gave the illusion of fluid staining:

18.jpg

A light drybrushing of Vallejo Reaper Misty Grey along the bottom, and a few of the other high spots brought out the detail:

19.jpg

That's it for now.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Zoomer

You're progressing nicely with good results for being new at this. However, with the subject kit, don't be surprised when parts (i.e. cockit floor) don't seem to fit. It's not you, it's the kit. Unless Dragon fixed it, the cockpit floor is too narrow to fit in the fuselage halves. Also, the windscreen will also need to be reworked to fit correctly. There may be some other sticky areas but those are the two that jump to mind immediately when the 1/32 Dragon P-51D (and the F-6) are mentioned. There are other accuracy issues with the kit but I don't need to go into them if you're just building the kit as a shelf sitter.... Enjoy and good luck with your project. <_<

So timc,

What is the issue with the windscreen? I knew about the cockpit floor from reading various posts here, but the windscreen is new to me. Sigh...

I hope I can deal with that when I get to it. :salute:

Thanks for the warnings!

Cheers

Zoomer

Thanks Tilt.

Hey are we going to see you tomorrow evening at the Squadron?

More to come...

Cheers

Zoomer

Yessir. I believe I'll be making an appearance. Tilt!! Live, in action!!

Oakie Doakie,

A wee update before this thread gets cold, or I do.

:cheers:

Please excuse the photography in this part. Not sure what I did, but here goes.

The exhaust stacks were first coated with Citadel Tallarn Flesh followed by a couple of washes using Citadel Devlan Mud. After checking my online sources, I discovered that the exhaust stacks should be discoloured from heat and combustion staining but that the shroud should be polished or at least remain the colour of the cowling skin. Oh well too late and I'm not going back. I followed the washes with progressively lighter shades of pink and flesh colours ending in grey and white at the exhaust tips. All in all probably 5 or 6 colours. I drilled out the exhaust stacks so they would at least appear to be uniformly round, and filled each with thinned Vallejo Stormcover Grey and a wash of Citadel Badab Black.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Next step final engine assembly and on to the cockpit.

Cheers

Zoomer

Another great update Zoomer!! Keep it up. :thumbsup:

It was great to catch up with you and the guys down at the Squadron last night. Hope you liked your mug - lol!! Oh, and way to "coin" me. :woo: I owe ya now.

Zoomer I'll be watching this one verrrrrrry closely, as I have one started and got totally frustrated and it bummed me out so much so that it's on the suspended shelf for now. So I'll watch you and if yours goes good; it may come down again soon to the work table. I did my engine almost the same; not as nice as yours looks though. Great start keep it going :cheers: .

Edited by Angels49