AJ37 Viggen "Attackviggen"

And in the later days too.. if today counts as a "later day".. There are indications that there might be a Viggen flying over Såtenäs this afternoon, and that one is bare metal.

I will not hold it against you if you decide to go bare metal on this one. I think the Viggen looks great "nude". Also, there are quite many splinter camouflaged Viggen models around, but not so many bare metal ones. Combine it with a pilot figure wearing the older tan flight overalls and you´ve got a real piece of nostalgia :-)

/E

Naw, I think Viggen belongs in Splinter cammo :D

What individual to do however is a bit tricky...

I´m looking for a machine from F15, they flew overhead a lot when I was a kid..I lived in a smal town called Sandviken and it was pretty much right between F16 (uppsala) and F15(Söderhamn) I suppose Sandviken was where they met :P

So it´s a bit of 80´s nostalgia I want to build..and that means it has to be an AJ and it has to have splintercammo and it has to come from F15!

Brake time...

Being a bit fed up with puttying and sanding around the intakes I took a brake and did some other stuff for a change.

I´ve got resin main wheel bays from Maestro and to fit them I need to first grind off the details in the upper wing halfs...

IMG_4451.jpg

Then I glued the bays to the lower wing half...need to do some scribing there as well.

IMG_4452.jpg

Next it was time for some PE for the air brakes.

A pE insert was glued into the aibrake wells.

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

Then bit of origami and I had the upper Airbrakes done....looks nice I think.

IMG_4457.jpg

And then the lower airbrakes...they are glued together with CA.

IMG_4458.jpg

Well that´s it...back to sanding and filling :P

Cheers!

This project looks like a real putty monster :deadhorse1:... It seems you are getting the Viggen to cooperate, with some forceful sanding... Those side projects sure are a relief after hours of sanding and scribing. Keep up the good work...

/Jesse

Better still, this one is REAL, sort of:

tarangusviggen.jpg

Just got the newsletter from Tarangus:

As earlier advised, the J32B fighter Lansen will appear in Q3 this year. However, we're already working on the next kit from Tarangus, which is the JA37 Viggen! The Viggen kit is expected to hit the shelves no later than during Q1 2013.

Hooray!

Winging it...

Cutting off the rudders is a delicate operation since you can´t just saw it off straight. The reason being the that the rudders are longer on the underside than on the upper side, so you have to make a sort of misaligned cut like a step.

IMG_4461.jpg

More cutting, I need to make room for the exhaust...

IMG_4462.jpg

Then I realized I needed to make room for the new wheel wells as well :P

IMG_4463.jpg

Like so...

IMG_4464.jpg

And it would fit like this..

IMG_4466.jpg

Then I glued the wing halfes together.

IMG_4468.jpg

Time to start on the exhaust!

I startred with priming the parts with Alclad Grey microfiller/primer.

IMG_4467.jpg

At the rear is the thrust vectoring paddles, they close off the exhaust and directs the thrust forwards through slits on the sides and belly.

I´m not entirely happy with the look here... the thing is that the paddles should fit in to recesses in the exhaust...

IMG_4469.jpg

Well, what to do? Plasticard to the rescue! ( I really shouldn´t have to do this on an aftermarket part, it should already have been thought of! )

IMG_4470.jpg

The upper paddle hangs down slightly when the engine is off so the recess should show.

IMG_4471.jpg

There, I got a start at least...more tweaking is needed however.

CHeers!

Thanx Mareku :D

LOL Jörgen, there there.....just a year left :D I hope it won´t be a short run kit but a nice highpreassure injection molded kit! I think the market is bigger than for the Lansen and they´d get a return on the money put into serious highpreassure molds. Since they alrerady have a cooperation with EEduard they might get to borrow their machines if they just get the funding for the molds.

I got a big update for you today, so big it´s even a two parter :D

The work on the exhaust area continues.....

I thinned the edge considerably on the edges of the reverse thrust slits, botth on the plastic...

IMG_4472.jpg

...and the resin exhaust. On the resin it meant that I had to emove some details....but I couldn´t realy see those detaisl on any ref pics I´ve seen. All they did was obstruct the view, when you look into the slits from a forward angle you should see out the exhaust pipe.

IMG_4473.jpg

I then detailed further with addingtwo strips of plasticard into every forward edge of the slits.

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

Further I added a couple of theese thingies on the nozzle, I have no idea what they are for tho :P

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

More in part two.