To the world she was just a dog, to us she was family

Today started great but sadly at 2:45pm went pear shaped when our 14 yr old beautiful Blue Heeler, Kelpie, German Shepherd cross suddenly went from being in reasonably good health, to her back legs giving out (she had severe arthritis in them) and her breathing becoming difficult and body temp going through the roof. I rang Mike who was at the model club and we made the hard decision that if she did not pass away before he could get home we would take her to the local Emergency Vet Hospital and have her Euthanized; which unfortunately, as the fates would have it, was what we ended up having to do.

Rest in Peace Sheba – Forever Chasing Butterflies in God’s Garden and running with your Pack mates. 1-6-1997 to 2-4-2011.

We will all miss you.

sheba01.jpg

So sorry to hear your sad news :cheers: It's so hard to watch them grow old. I once heard a story about a little boy who asked his mother why dogs couldn't live as long as people. She wisely answered that that's because God had made dogs so they came into the world knowing how to love perfectly - without precondition or criteria. No matter what we're going through, they're always there for us, ready to make us smile and empathize with us. I know you'll miss your Sheba terribly, but it does get better with time. I lost my beautiful (if somewhat neurotic in her own lovable way) Daisee back in 2005, and the day doesn't pass that I don't think about her and smile. I'm getting closer each day to going through the same with my now-15-year old Pancho, so I try to treasure every moment with her, even the not so pleasant ones that are more frequent as she gets older and less able to control her body. But I have my Lulu to be there with us as Pancho slowly exits stage left.

My sincerest sympathies to you and your whole family. RIP Sheba...

Daisee - ~1992 - 2005

Daisee1.jpg

Pancho (b. 1995 - yes, that's a cow on top of her head!)

PICT0033.JPG

PanchoStick.JPG

Lulu (little snot ball!)

DogComfort.JPG

Edited by Jennings

You all have had such nice dogs. They each look like they would be a lot of fun to have around. Enjoy the time you had together!

I'm too allergic to have a pet and if things were different, I would have a dog too.

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences. They really are members of the family, and losing them is heart-wrenching. I've had to euthenize two of my three cats in only the last eight weeks, and the house is very quiet and lonely now, though the remaining cat and I are spending a lot of extra quality time together.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Thank you for the condolences this morning was horrible, waking and not hearing her snuffling outside my bedroom window - just horrible. Still in a few weeks time Mike and I will be taking on our Eldest Daughter's dog Shadow he is a black border collie cross and he and Sheba got on very well together - you could say that Sheba hung on long enough to make sure there was going to be someone to look after the family after she left. Shadow will never replace my lovely loopy lady but he will help to stop the empty feeling that now fills my heart where a furry person once dwelt.