Hi Guys,

I'll be modeling Lt.Col Glenn Eagleston's "Feeble Eagle"...I like this particular aircraft for the "bare bones" look of it's markings and because this will be my first attempt at adding rivet detail and I wanted as much bare metal showing as possible.

P51.jpg

102_4133.jpg

I'll be using:

Tamiya's 1/48 P-51D kit/Black Majic canopy masks (won on evil-bay!)

Eduard P-51D p/e detail set

Quickboost exhaust/shroud

Vector resin wheelbays

Superscale Decal's # 48-914 P-51D Mustang Aces, ETO

Dave

Hi Guys,

Well, time to get started!

I started with the wings as they will be the most work...I will be modifying the wing parts to accept the Vector wheelbays...filling in the panel lines and reworking the gun ports to receive brass tubing gun barrels.

102_4136.jpg

I started by removing all the molded on wheelbay details with a saw.

102_4137.jpg

102_4139.jpg

Then I used my Dremel tool to remove material from the parts per the Vector instructions.

102_4149.jpg

102_4151.jpg

102_4150.jpg

After 2hrs of repeated grinding and test fitting...the resin wheelbays fit perfectly inside the wings.

Dave

Looking pretty good so far. What type of Dremel are you using and what RPM setting?

I've got a Dremel MultiPro that I'm still trying to find the sweet spot on. I've melted a bit of a part or two along the way. :)

Hi Jason,

It's a 30yr old Dremel 380...the numbers on the speed selector dial are so worn I have no idea what RPM it was running at...I had it set at the lowest speed setting on the dial.

Dave

Thanks for that info Dave. I've been using the second or third from the lowest setting. Maybe I'll try the absolute lowest setting and see how that works for me.

Kit is looking great so far, can' wait to see her finished. I've always liked these markings with that big eagle on the nose.

No...this will be my first attempt at a NMF and the Alclad system may be a little over my head right now so I'll be useing Model Master Chrome silver enamel.

Dave

Dave, I don't want to talk you outta anything, but the Alclad system couldn't be easier, really. The key is a good primer coat. First, that will show any blemishes that may be present. Now I know there's always a lot of talk about which undercoat to use, but frankly, I've found the Tamiya light grey primer right from the can to be perfect. A light rub down makes the Alclad go on like glass. And the toughness facilitates any type of masking you may need or want. The shot is of the masking so I could do some slightly different color panels. Lots of tape as you can see and no pullup anywhere.

P-47-12.jpg

and the slightly diverse panels after a different shade of Alclad and tape removed

P-47-17.jpg

And from experience, the MM crome silver will not hold up under even the lightest tack tape. It'll pull right up. Don't be afraid of of the Alclad, it's great stuff and easy to usewith the right primer.

McLents

Edited by mclents

Dave, I don't want to talk you outta anything, but the Alclad system couldn't be easier, really. The key is a good primer coat. First, that will show any blemishes that may be present. Now I know there's always a lot of talk about which undercoat to use, but frankly, I've found the Tamiya light grey primer right from the can to be perfect. A light rub down makes the Alclad go on like glass. And the toughness facilitates any type of masking you may need or want. The shot is of the masking so I could do some slightly different color panels. Lots of tape as you can see and no pullup anywhere.

P-47-12.jpg

and the slightly diverse panels after a different shade of Alclad and tape removed

P-47-17.jpg

And from experience, the MM crome silver will not hold up under even the lightest tack tape. It'll pull right up. Don't be afraid of of the Alclad, it's great stuff and easy to usewith the right primer.

McLents

oo nice,Did you use aluminum and duraluminium or other metalizers?

oo nice,Did you use aluminum and duraluminium or other metalizers?

Yes, I think that was the only two I used. They are really pretty low contrast to one another so it doesn't give that too patch work looking appearance. Great, tough stuff that Alclad. I don't want to highjack the thread, so I'll go picture-less here, but that was just the fist set of taping. The plane ended up being "The Blond Angel" so ended up with painted on full invasion stripes. The only place I had the slighest issue was some touch up I tried to do to the Futured canopy. The future did not allow the Alclad to "bite" into the plastic, so a minor touch up to the frame that required a small piece of tape did lift the Alclad from the Future-d surface of the canopy. And no undercoats or sealers for thwe decal work either. I think the stuff works great (and no, I have no connection to the product).

McLents

Continuing with the wing work, I modified the gun ports by simply drilling them out starting with a #80 drill bit and using progressively larger bits until I got the size I need for the brass tubing...I will be using 1.2mm for the gun sleeves and 0.8mm for the gun barrels. Next came modifying and detailing the wing pylons and drop tanks. The pylon stabilizing brackets were made from 0.20" plastic rod and the molded on brackets were removed from the tanks. After sanding the tanks smooth I used 0.10" plastic rod to make the fuel plumbing lines.

102_4173.jpg

102_4188.jpg

102_4178.jpg

Dave :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finnished up the wing portion of this build by filling in the panel lines with stretched sprue and wet sanding them smooth...next I painted up the Vector wheelbays gave them a greasy black wash and installed them for the last time...finally I added the brass tubing sleeves for the guns.

102_4196.jpg

102_4222.jpg

102_4421.jpg

102_4422.jpg

With the wings out of the way it was time for the pit area...I started by removing all molded-on detail that will be replaced with p/e parts and place cards. I modified the seat by adding p/e braces and armor plate then used a styrene disc to make a new head rest...the kit IP was sanded smooth to accept a p/e "sandwich" that makes up an awesome new panel...finally the p/e rudder peddles were installed.

102_4277.jpg

102_4278.jpg

Next came the sidewalls and fuselage detail.

I removed most of the kit details in favor of p/e place cards and some plasticard pieces. I made the oxygen hose from fine copper wire coiled around a piece of 0.20" brass rod. Lastly I ground down the fuselage wall thickness and drilled out the holes in the front cowling vent panels.

102_4279.jpg

102_4280.jpg

102_4281.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the pit sandwiched between the fuselage halves now...I cut off the locating pins and sanded the glue surfaces true on a piece of glass with 600 grit sandpaper. I must say the fit of the two halves were perfect. I did need a little Mr. Surfacer on the belly scoop to smooth things out and a few places where the parts attached to the sprue. I bought the kit on ebay and the original owner twisted and ripped the parts of the sprue tearing the plastic.

102_4566.jpg

102_4575.jpg

The finished pit

102_4557-1.jpg

102_4558.jpg

Now the fun begins...adding rivet detail!...this was a first for me but allot of practice on junk models made me confident I could do it. I used Radu Brinzan's Rivet-R mini riveting tool guided by thin strips of vinyl tape for curved surfaces and Dymo tape for the strait runs. The Rivet-R tool produces very fine holes that look convincing at 1/48 scale.

102_4591.jpg

102_4227.jpg

102_4232.jpg

I had make up a little jig to rivet the hard to hold canopy frame.

After all the rivet work was done it was time to add the wings and here is were the fun stopped!!!...the Vector wheel bay that fit so nice in the wings interfered with the fit between the fuselage and wings...alot of sanding, grinding and clamps were required to join the two assemblies resulting in a wing join that needed filling using stretched sprue and Mr. Surfacer...a sad note to a join that without the resin wheel bay was virtually perfect.

102_4440.jpg

102_4443.jpg

As she sits now.

102_4431.jpg