Hi all,

Here is the beginnings of my sharkmouthed Hellcat. I can't recommend this Eduard kit enough. So far it has been a great amount of fun. And for under $30 you can't go wrong. Sorry for the grainy shots. I will make sure they are better next time.

6e3010c3.jpg

56b83866.jpg

Edited by twhite80
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. I am having a hell of a time finding a bottle of paint that matches the color I need. You would think that "Navy Blue" would be easy to find. After spending time on the internet and at the local hobby shop I came away with Tamiya Royal Blue. I will be weathering it a bit so I will mix to the shade I need I guess. The challenge I see is getting the shark mouth inside the cowling painted correctly.

Thanks for the comments. I am having a hell of a time finding a bottle of paint that matches the color I need. You would think that "Navy Blue" would be easy to find. After spending time on the internet and at the local hobby shop I came away with Tamiya Royal Blue. I will be weathering it a bit so I will mix to the shade I need I guess. The challenge I see is getting the shark mouth inside the cowling painted correctly.

Tamiya do a Sea Blue XF-17

Stephen

Well, I can't find my stash of built models instruction sheets, but I was able to find them on 1999. Take a look here

I think the one you need is: XF18:3 + XF2:1 for the top surfaces and XF19:2 + XF2:1 for the undersides.

I used the tri-color mix on my F4F, and the two color scheme on my Dauntless and was very happy with it. HTH

Brian

Thanks for the comments! The exhaust is not quite done. The black needs to be toned down and new grey and brown reapplied but I like it so far. What I did was layer on a little black around the edges then some light grey in between that. I then did some dark brown around the grey to make it look more warn then some black along the panel lines to make it look as though the soot has settled in. But if you look closely the black looks a little sloppy along the vertical fuselage panel lines. I will fix that. It's all glossy right now and I have looked at as many pics of the paper doll that I could find, and when it was finally pitched overboard it was still pretty glossy. So some of it will be glossy but some will be flat, especially the exhaust and the warn and bleached panels on the top of the aircraft which will be either flat or at least dull. That is unless someone has a better pic with more detail. What do you think? Less gloss?

Edited by twhite80

Personally I'm not all that fond of a gloss finish on a warbird. One thing to consider is the effect the elements would have on the gloss of an aircraft finish. Being at sea, the salty air and sun would have it's way with the gloss rather quick I would imagine. A satin might be more in line with what it really was, but then again that's pure speculation on my part.

I think maybe one thing that's throwing me off is that you have weathering (faded panels, darker panel lines, etc.) but the whole thing has a uniform sheen to it. I know you say some will get some satin to flat coated later, so perhaps that would fix it in my eyes. I would think the faded panel areas shouldn't be glossy. :hmmm:

Personally I'm not all that fond of a gloss finish on a warbird. One thing to consider is the effect the elements would have on the gloss of an aircraft finish. Being at sea, the salty air and sun would have it's way with the gloss rather quick I would imagine. A satin might be more in line with what it really was, but then again that's pure speculation on my part.

I think maybe one thing that's throwing me off is that you have weathering (faded panels, darker panel lines, etc.) but the whole thing has a uniform sheen to it. I know you say some will get some satin to flat coated later, so perhaps that would fix it in my eyes. I would think the faded panel areas shouldn't be glossy. :hmmm:

So I will sort of dull coat it and then hit the weathered areas with a dead flat. Some of those hellcats were very glossy and some were worn flatmand then some had a mix of both where some areas were worn and others stillmhad a bit of a sheen. This is a hard one to figure...

Im pretty sure these guys tried to keel them glossy. Some one told me Bearcats pilots use to was the leading edge to get more speed out of it.

Being at sea, the salty air and sun would have it's way with the gloss rather quick

Actually you would be surprised i live on a sail boat for 10 year in the Caribbean and out boat was gloss blue and it only required a wax 1 time a year and you could see you face in it all the time. Just a little wash with salt water and Dawn soap to maintain it.

But our boat was Fiberglass and those plane where aluminium so there are differences

Cheers

Neo

OUCH! Sorry to see that man! That's one of the reasons I prefer to use the Tamiya flat base mixed in with Future, that and I can vary my gloss/flat to whatever I feel I need. That's a shame, she was looking real good.

What did you end up using for the color coat? Were you able to use that Tamiya color mix I posted?

I have never seen that happen. Wow. Can only suspect the paint had separated from it's mixing agent (or whatever it's called) inside and all that came out was that which then ate paint. Very weird. A tragic thing to happen to a stunning aircraft so far. Guess next time you'll keep it glossy.

You hadn't put the decals on yet had you?

I can't remember.