1/48 Tamiya P-51D with 55 FG Decals

I haven't had much time recently to do much on this build, but here's what I've done so far. I am using Vallejo paints to paint the model, I used the Model Air Interior Green to paint the cockpit interior and weathered it with the Flory (formerly Promodeler) wash, and the Tamiya Weathering Master Set C.

091.jpg

Here are a couple of close up shots of the sidewalls

093.jpg

092.jpg

I painted the instrument panel and added Mike Grant Cockpit Decals to add the intrument dial faces.

Instrumentpanel.jpg

Hope to get some more time this upcoming weekend to work on it some more.

Edited by marvin20
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've been able to work on models, but here's some photos of some progess that I've made.

Cockpit assembly

DSC_0722.jpg

Another photo of the cockpit assembly

DSC_0723.jpg

Here's wat it looks like now, with the fuselage halves joined together, and wings and stabs installed, and the model has been primed. I had to rescribe a few of the panel lines that were sanded away during seam removal, using the scribing tool produced by UMM-USA. I used wet paper towel as the mask for the cockpit and the wheel wells.And tookpicks to act as the supports for the model to stand on during this process.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Edited by marvin20
  • 1 month later...

Mike,

Yes I used Alclad for the NMF. I was hesitant to use it, as the first time I did on another model, I used the Alclad primer and had horrible results. This time I used some regular household primer in a can that a fellow modeler told me about. It worked very well.

Very nice. Just noticed this we're doing the same bird. So much for me trying to find something different. lol

Looking good I hope my masking turns out that good. I almost want to put the red decal on first just so I know where but don't know how I'd mask it then.

Very nice. Just noticed this we're doing the same bird. So much for me trying to find something different. lol

Looking good I hope my masking turns out that good. I almost want to put the red decal on first just so I know where but don't know how I'd mask it then.

Ham,

What I did was take and blow up the instructions from the decal sheet to 1/48th scale, and cut out the forward fuselage section, and then cut that along the red stripe, then used it as a template to cut out a mask for the left side of the aircraft on some of the blue low-tack painters tape. Then I flipped over the template to cut out the mask for the right side of the aircraft.

HTH

QT

Paint the yellow stripe on the nose cone!

I went through two of the decals trying to get it right. Still not entirely happy with it but it's livable.

The checkers for just aft of the nose cone worked great as long as you cut them as the decals say to. Everything else went on without a hitch. They're a littl thick but reacted to microsol well.

Paint the yellow stripe on the nose cone!

I went through two of the decals trying to get it right. Still not entirely happy with it but it's livable.

The checkers for just aft of the nose cone worked great as long as you cut them as the decals say to. Everything else went on without a hitch. They're a littl thick but reacted to microsol well.

Hamm,

Thanks much for the heads up on the decals. I actually did paint the yellow on the spinner, didn't want to fight with the decals on the irregular shape of the spinner. Who's paint and what color did you use for the green on the cowling and the spinner? I know it calls for Green 46, which is a Gunze color (emerald Green), I cross referenced it to a Model Master color, but they don't have a comparable color in Vallejo which I'm currently using.

Edited by marvin20

Hamm,

Thanks much for the heads up on the decals. I actually did paint the yellow on the spinner, didn't want to fight with the decals on the irregular shape of the spinner. Who's paint and what color did you use for the green on the cowling and the spinner? I know it calls for Green 46, which is a Gunze color (emerald Green), I cross referenced it to a Model Master color, but they don't have a comparable color in Vallejo which I'm currently using.

I used Flat Green 1164 in the little Testors bottles straight from the bottle thinned with thinner. Looked close enough to me. Tamiya flat yellow for the yellow on the tail. I despise trying to mask and paint round spinners like that so I wanted to use the decal. I didn't work out so well the first time. Second time I scored it in a ton of places so it's a little better. Painting would have been best though.

Also the white stripes on the stabs are a bit see through so you may want to paint them as well.

Here are a few more progress photos. The first three are of the model after being gloss coated with Future sprayed on with my airbrush.

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

003.jpg

The next few are of my progress applying the decals. I am not happy with the black striping, and will mask and paint the rest of them on the model. I mixed the green paint using Vallejo paints, it is a close match for the color depicted on the instruction sheet for the decals as well as the Green 46 (Emerald) color specified on the instruction sheet.

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Nice job on painting the spinner. The black weren't bad for me but more confusing than anything. Did your starboard one tear? The ones on the underside of the wings gave

me a headache. Almost there looking good.

Yes it tore, and the port side one crinkled up from the setting solution and never flattened out at the leading edge. I'm going to mask and paint the areas where the decal is torn/missing, and paint the remaining stripes on to avoid any further issues with them.

This model is now finished. I have pictures of the finished build in the Completed GB folder. This was my first Group Build, and I had a blast doing it and posting the photos here. I'm looking forward to particiating in more GB in the future.

QT