1/72 P-51B Mustang of Tex Hill

Username: Dirkpitt289

First name: Dirk

Scale: 1/72

Manufacturer: Revell

Model Type: North American P-51B Mustang

Accessories: None

I'm not going to get into a long history of Tex Hill as most of us are all fimilure with his story with the infamous AVG. The only real thing I can add at this point is that Tex Hill claimed 6 kills in his P-51B steed.

TexHill03.jpg

TexHill02.jpg

TexHill01.jpg

Color profile of Tex's P-51B Mustang

TexHillP-51b.jpg

The Kit

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

I realize I don't have a lot of time to complete this build so I'm not going to go crazy but one thing I did want to do was re-position the flaps.

So its time for a little surgery

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

Installing the lower scoops

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

Next it will be time to fill in the gaps in the wings where the flaps will be reattached

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

I used the same method to fill the gaps in the flaps also. That gives both parts a flat surface rather then one rounded and one concave to receive the rounded piece.

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

Filling the seams on the fuselage

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking

I'm looking forward to seeing the next installment on the flaps mate. At first I couldn't work out what you were doing with the platsticard and then it came to me. That will just blank off the gap. :whistle: , it's been a long day.

Deacon

Moving onward and upward

After the joints were taken care of and the primer was dried I brought out the Alclad aluminum. Everything I've seen on this aircraft showed that it was worn out so....

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Next after a few days drying time I applied some liquid masking agent and randomly applied it to the mustang. If you look closely to the red arrows you can just make out the agent. This is a first time technique for me

This shows the wing joints and covers

IMG_0084.jpg

Walkway and such

IMG_0085.jpg

Next goes the Olive Drab

IMG_0091.jpg

Next will be the revile

Here we sit with the top cote of Model Masters Olive Drab applied.

IMG_0092.jpg

Now with a little rubbing with my thumb over all the locations where I put the masking we have the following result.

IMG_0096.jpg

Next added the attachment points for the external wing tanks

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Drop tanks installed

IMG_0101.jpg

Tanks as viewed from the top

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Next will be the bazooka pack

Thanks for looking

Edited by Dirkpitt289

Thanks. With the short time left in the GB I'm rushing this and the kind words help. As for the well worn affect every photo I've seen of this particular Mustang is just that. Well worn. If you look at the photos at the beginning of the thread you'll see the wear and now in this color shot you can see it as well. I could have easily gone with what I'm comfortable with and not weathered it but I felt this one needed to be worn to do it justice. Not to mention I need to expand my skills at some point.:P

P-51BMustangTexHillColor.jpg

P-51BMustangTexHillCloseupofnose.jpg

The wing tanks have been mounted and now it's time for the wing mounted bazookas. Not much to them really. the bazookas were in two parts and then you had to add the end caps. Easy peasy. Also got the landing gear installed. She now sits on her own three wheels:p

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

I sprayed with future and then started the decals

IMG_0126.jpg

Prop and spinner installed. In this kit the prop was individual blades. What a pain in the arse.

IMG_0153.jpg

Dirk

Outstanding build!! :thumbsup: I really like the weathering. I have never tried to achieve that look, but now I have a bit more confidence after learning from your build. Well done!

I have a question regarding your choice of kit. I have only built one Mustang so far (the one in progress in this GB) and I definitely intend to build some more. Would you recomend the Revell kit as the one I should go for in 1/72 for a P-51B? Would there be a better kit option for the B version? I am not up on who makes what kits of the P-51B but I really liked the way yours came out.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

As another one building the same kit for this build (I've got the other boxing, as the Mustang III) I would definitely recommend this kit for a P-51B. It's an easy build and looks very good. The only issue seems to be getting the canopy to fit correctly as it's a bit fiddly.

There's no really definitive B in 1/72, but the Revell's one of the best of the bunch and builds really well. And no decal lottery unlike the Academy, the Revell decals are excellent.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Finished photos are in the gallery

@ Mike. I would recommend this kit to anyone. The other kit I would recommend for the mustang would be Academy kits. I had a Academy P-51a on the bench at the same time as this one and found them to be very similar in detail and build-ability (if that really is a word).