Guys i am very new to modeling. When i look at a tomcat that other people produce I am amazed at some of the scratch building that people do to make their parts (or parts not included with their kits) realistic. I need help on scratch building. Like i said i am new to modeling and i am wondering if anybody has any suggestions or books on scratch building that will help me out with. Believe me i have everything that i need to do it (styrene, rods, wires) but i cant seem a grasp on it. Any help will be helpful.

Thank you

Tomcat Lover

Seeing as how I'm rather new to scratchbuilding, I think you've already solved the hardest part, which is getting the scratch building material all together. Outside of that, it's just going to take a little bit of artistic license, and imagination. Snip 1/8" of an inch piece of styrene, and rig it into a wheel bay, boom...you got a fire detection sensor. Roll out some milliput very fine, cut the ends, and graft from box to box in the wheel bay, and boom...you got tubing and wiring. I use to think there was a big secret to it as well, and don't get me wrong...some are much better than others at it, but I think that ultimately just comes with time and experience in undrestanding the limitations of some of this stuff. I'm sure it gets easier as you work with it a few times, but just try to replicate what you see in phots by cutting and using what you have. Remember, this hobby is all about simulation on a smaller scale, so it's hard for someone to say what's right or wrong. Hope this helps.

I think that will help but when i look at what people are coming up with by scratch building it really amazes me on how they do it. I will take your advise and practice, practice, practice. And look at my reference photos as well. Thank you for replying.

Note: A lot of what you see is usually just a series of what I've explained built and stacked on one another. A Waldrons punch is also pretty useful for adding dials and such to cockpit, but if you've got some very thin tubing, then that would work as well. I know it seems a bit heavy, but when I started seeing some of the aftermarket guys showing pictures of their "master" molds, I was impressed to see how much of it was just good ol' fashioned styrene on top of an already created product that added boxes, depth, etc. You can get a lot of really good results doing what I have mentioned. May not look that way instantly, but wait until you prime the whole job, and it's all one uniform color, and then it will start to come to life. Use an exacto knife to carve lines and such into some of your work for a bit of depth, and that helps on a limited basis as well.

I looked up the link that you put in your reply and all that i have to say is WOW!! He takes scratchbuilding to another level. But thanks for your repy and i will continued to practice. I am about to do a Trumpeter F14d Super Tomcat in a couple of months and i will post my results when i get the chance to. Thank you for all of your help

Tomcat Lover

Good references (I knew the Internet could be useful for something!); a collection of materials (check! Ultra-small diameter brass tube can be useful too); a set of micro drill bits; a little confidence and some practice. Also, a third hand tool with a good magnifier is indispensable if you want to create marvels of really miniature elegance -a pin vise and the Waldron punch sets will be useful too. I'm still saving up for the latter! :jaw-dropping:

Anything can be used for scratchbuilding. With that bding said, you might have scratchbuilt parts that are pink, orange, blue, etc., etc., etc. on the same model, or even the same part. When you look at this, you'll think that it'll never work. But, like scapilot said earlier, when you prime it, and get it all one color, your model will change from the ugly duckling to the beautiful swan. Don't be afraid to use anything, and I mean anything that will help the looks of your model. I've used items used in farming, law enforcement, food containers, and on and on. So, scratchbuilding is as wide open as your imagination allows.

Thank you guys for all of your helpful advice. My father use to be a fighter pilot in the Air force and he flew F16 and f15 and i should have taken a lot of images when i was a young lad :sunrevolves: and i still have some but i use to models airplanes when i was young but picked it up again. I am use to modeling the planes out of box (i believe that the way you say it) but now i want to make my models look real. When i go to sites and see the planes that some people are doing now it really blows my mind how much real they can make it look by scratchbuilding. I believe you ball47 when you say that you can use almost anything to scratchbuilt the details but it amazes what some people are doing to their planes. I live in the perfect place to do some researching because i live near Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and i see F-16 and F-15 and F-22 take off everyday so i am going to do some research and take a hell of a lot of pictures so my planes and different parts of planes look more realistic.

Tomcat Lover

Good references (I knew the Internet could be useful for something!); a collection of materials (check! Ultra-small diameter brass tube can be useful too); a set of micro drill bits; a little confidence and some practice. Also, a third hand tool with a good magnifier is indispensable if you want to create marvels of really miniature elegance -a pin vise and the Waldron punch sets will be useful too. I'm still saving up for the latter! :jaw-dropping:/>/>/>

If you're looking for a better value on a punch and die set, google CB Model Products. Their set has more punches and is a little cheaper.

Thanks cbowser i was looking at micro-mark.com for a punch & die set. Theirs are about the same price but cb has more punches so i will look at cb model products to get one next payday.

Tomcat-Lover

Thanks cbowser i was looking at micro-mark.com for a punch & die set. Theirs are about the same price but cb has more punches so i will look at cb model products to get one next payday.

Tomcat-Lover

No problem. I just checked Micro-Marks website and they have their punch set listed for $59.95. Last time I saw it listed for $49.95, and that wasn't that long ago. Add in another $10 for shipping, and it starts to get a little pricey.

"Scratch Built," by John Alcorn, George Lee, and Peter Cooke, ISBN 0-88740-417-0, is worth the investment, but another requirement is an active imagination; hold on to parts left over from a kit build, and you'll find (for example) that bomb and droptank halves, with a bit of sanding, can be turned into Spitfire gun bulges.

Edgar

I checked the link out and it is amazing. Its funny, I look at some sites at the progress in works pages and I use to wonder why it takes a person so long to do their kits (4 months, 6 months and sometimes a year) where it usually takes me about 2 or weeks to do mine. Now i know. The next kit I do is going to be the Trumpeter F-14D Super Tomcat and this time I am going to take my time because of all the aftermarket parts that I plan on putting in the kit. AND I plan on doing some scratchbuilding!! I will post my next project when I start it and I hope that you guys like it.

Richard - Tomcat Lover