well looking at the model that i bought, its a good thing you say that cause the one i bought is the Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-4, i also purchased the Verlinden Cockpit and Gun Improvement set. this is my first time working with PE and AM Resin so any tips are mush appreciated!

Your photo could also be a late model -4 too. Model cement doesn't work with resin. You'll have to use superglue. I've also used epoxy. PE can be easy if it's on a flat surface. On a contoured surface I roll a dowel (or similar) across it while it's on a semi soft surface. I keep rolling till I get the shape I need. Also, I seem to re-call there's an issue with the rubber tires in that kit. I'm not 100% sure it's this or I'm confusing it with another kit that has rubber tires. I'd check in the "prop" section and see if anyone has run into this.

Anyway, good luck with the build.

Your photo could also be a late model -4 too. Model cement doesn't work with resin. You'll have to use superglue. I've also used epoxy. PE can be easy if it's on a flat surface. On a contoured surface I roll a dowel (or similar) across it while it's on a semi soft surface. I keep rolling till I get the shape I need. Also, I seem to re-call there's an issue with the rubber tires in that kit. I'm not 100% sure it's this or I'm confusing it with another kit that has rubber tires. I'd check in the "prop" section and see if anyone has run into this.

Anyway, good luck with the build.

Thanks Tenspeed!, ive always used superglue Model cement doesnt dry fast enough for my shaky hand. ill check out the Props section to see as this kit does have rubber tires.I only wish he had some photos of the aircraft that he worked on but havent found any yet. <_</> :crying2:/>

EDIT: did a search for various topics that would pertain to the rubber tires in this kit but could not find anything.

Edited by Spokane-Modeller

Built this as a Christmas present for my dad end of 2010.

Ancient Revell 1/32 with as much after market as I could find.

Those were the first markings I did when I got back into the hobby - Tamiya's F4U-1A. I messed up the dark blue but I got hooked again!

Thanks Tenspeed!, ive always used superglue Model cement doesnt dry fast enough for my shaky hand. ill check out the Props section to see as this kit does have rubber tires.I only wish he had some photos of the aircraft that he worked on but havent found any yet. <_</>/> :crying2:/>/>

EDIT: did a search for various topics that would pertain to the rubber tires in this kit but could not find anything.

I remember now, with the help of google, it wasn't the tires but the tire/rim being too slim. Some replacing it with a resin set. Not having built this kit I don't know how the stock parts look.

Tamiya F4U-1A for sure in 1/48 or 1/72. Best corsair kit on the market.

In 1/72 the Academy F4U-1 is second (it's actually a 1A kit), not sure who is second in 1/48, Academy again maybe? I know they do a decent 1D

Can anyone point me to a good -1A? if i can muster to get this one done plus the phantom for the PAA GB I'd like to do Gregory "Pappy" Boyington's F4U-1A 883 "Martha" Also any AM for said kit would also be much appreciated :woot.gif:/>

I have not done the Academy or Hobbycraft -1As but Tamiya's is an excellent model. I am told the Hobbycraft is fine but somewhat hard to come by.

Ultracast (one of the GB sponsors) has a pile of great AM for early Corsairs. If you want to go all out, the full meal Aires is one amazing piece of kit. The price reflects that however!

• 1 month later...

Well, here's my tamiya F4U-1 top surfaces painted. tThis model is being built out of my spares box, the only parts not from that source, are the outer wing panels from a friend, who also sent along the Ultra cast flaps. I blew one outer flap, and had to make do with a Tamiya part, suitable adapted. Topside Blue/Gray is from WEM. Hal Sr

P1010017-1_zpse1ef671e.jpg