1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

7 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Very cool display, Steve!   I've tried using cotton for clouds before -- for some reason they look like cotton up close.  But they look like real clouds in photos.

Thanks crackerjazz, I'll have to see how cotton looks when I get to that point.

2 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Majestic! No many words indeed... :) Goliath Tomcat!

Thanks very much.

Steve

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

Looks great Steve.  I'm still amazed at the size of your 1/18 Tomcats.:worship:

Thanks very much John. They do make for a very impressive display in my " READY ROOM ." I just want to get this finished at this point so I can get back to my 1/48th A-6E.

Steve

11 hours ago, falcon20driver said:

I want that room!  Just too cool.

Thanks bud, it's still a WIP however. I want to make my own display cabinets, with glass doors, for all my collectables and models. Plus redo the ceiling lighting with high hats. Get the rest of my artwork matted and framed and ................ the list goes on and on.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Greetings all,

Major update for today, well for me anyway. I FINALLY got the Big Cat in primer today. I decided to take advantage of the unusual warm weather we are having on the East Coast. Last night I finalized the sealing of the canopy using some Elmer's Tack.

I cut thin strips and rolled them into "worms" that I applied to the cockpit sill. Then I just installed the canopy and used enough pressure to get a good seal. My modeling amigo, Ed Miranda, gave me a hand with mixing the primer. I used an automotive

lacquer primer and sprayed thin light coats. The Anest Iwata, RG-3L-2 spray gun, did a beautiful job. It atomizes the paint so well and it went on beautifully. Great gun, highly recommended. Hopefully I can get the rest of the colors on the jet and a gloss

coat shortly so I can get to decaling. Again, thanks to everyone who still shows an interest in this project and hopefully the next update will come sooner rather than later. Enjoy your weekend all.

Steve

IMG_5448_zpsw8pvt2lr.jpg

IMG_5450_zpsmdnov5aq.jpg

IMG_5451_zpswacj2hnk.jpg

46 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Cool!  Nice to see this big bird nearing completion. :thumbsup:

Thanks John, yeah it's wayyyyy overdue to be finished. I'm just glad it's finally all one color now.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

A brief update for today, I managed to get the insides of the intakes painted white. It was a big PITA to say the least but, I mixed the paint fairly thin and applied multiple light coats. It was rather difficult holding the jet, shining a flashlight down the intake so I could see what I was doing and trying to spray paint  all at the same time !! I tried to get pics but, no matter what I tried you couldn't really see the difference. Not earth-shattering but, a step forward so that makes me happy. Now I can get back to sanding the airframe and get her ready for the bottom color.

Thanks for those who still show an interest in this " never ending project. "

Steve

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

Gee Steve, I thought those intakes on a 1/18 would be big enough to crawl into for painting.  lol

One step closer to completion. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately no John, just another reason I wish this was a regular " kit form " model. Thanks for stopping by and following along.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update,

The sanding of the primer continues, I'm also addressing the areas that required additional attention after the primer was applied making them more obvious.
Hopefully for my next update I will have something worth showing. Thanks for hanging in there with me and this project.

Steve

21 hours ago, afterburner said:

This whole package is like my dream package. Superb display design and excellent engineering on that huge beast to make it work. Fantastic job. 

Thanks very much.

15 hours ago, Spook said:

Steve....This is awesome work! I can't wait to see it finished! 

Thank you, that makes two of us.

Steve

Greeting's all,

Status update as of today, 95% of the airframe is sanded. There are still a few areas that need attention, STILL !!  It's hard to believe that after all this time of looking over the jet for issues, before priming, I still missed things. The most obvious area being the radome. There is a seam that should not be there and I didn't catch it until after the primer was on so, I had to go back and fill and sand the area, that's why I prime. Better to catch it now than after the color is applied. Hopefully not too much longer and I can work on de-canting the Tamiya colors for the body and start bringing this jet to life.

Thanks to everyone who is still following this project, til next time ....

Steve

IMG_5473_zpslw5pwlxn.jpg

IMG_5474_zpsbojr8cdb.jpg

IMG_5475_zpsqm8japle.jpg

19 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

... still a few areas that need attention, STILL !!  It's hard to believe that after all this time of looking over the jet for issues, before priming, I still missed things. ...

I'm always amazed that no matter how careful or thorough we are in checking for & correcting issues, there always seem to be those elusive problems that are missed and found later near the end of the build. :bandhead2:

Another step closer to completion. :thumbsup2:

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

I just wanted to keep all of you, who are still interested, updated. I really haven't had much time to work on the Big Cat lately but,  I have sanded the entire air frame and I am currently working on fixing some areas that still require attention. After all this time and effort I don't want to skimp on the details at this point just to get her finished, I want her done right.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve