1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

Thanks for the info guys.

I agree that the '89- mid 90s is the most likely timeframe for what I'm looking for.

The problem is finding pictures from that period, just before the internet and digital photography took off.

While there are lots of photos from the era on Airliners and Jetphotos etc., most have been taken at

airshows open to civilians, and full combat loads at such events are very rare.

Good evening all,

Small update for tonight. I managed to finish up the plaques for the 103 display. I'm still throwing ideas around for the base display itself.

Thanks to all who are staying interested in this project. Have a great weekend everyone.

Steve

IMG_5166_zpseul2z39n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

Minor update for tonight. It's been really tough to find time to work on the Big Cat recently but, I did draw up an idea for the base of the display. I draw my ideas on cardboard 1 to 1 scale, this gives me an idea of sizes, helps

me with my cut list for materials and, allows me to change things without wasting materials. I wanted to do something different for this build instead of the stained wood base I made for the 154 jet. I going to use 3/4" MDF because

this base will be painted, not stained and, I have enough MDF laying around so why not use it and, it takes paint very well. The base itself will be roughly 27" X 27" X 10" tall and with the acrylic cover on top of that, the entire

display will be about 76" tall. Hopefully you can get the general idea from the pictures, they only show 1 of the 4 sides, of what the base will look like. The base and all the trim will be black with the "victory sash" in yellow.

The entire base will be finished with a satin poly spray.

That's the plan as of now anyway. I didn't want to go too crazy with the base because it's only 10" tall and I didn't want to draw attention away from the main subject. Thanks to those of you who still show an interest in this

never ending project, I do appreciate it. Hopefully my next update will be something more substantial.

Steve

IMG_5207_zpspjhbcvz0.jpg

IMG_5208_zpsgvtcppzp.jpg

IMG_5209_zps9sepbukl.jpg

I love your planning process. I need to build a display table for my B-17 build and you've helped point me in the proper direction.

It works for me and I'm glad you found inspiration in it as well F20D. I have a lot of ideas floating around in my skull but, I'm the kind of person that has to see it first before I can say that I like something or not.

Steve

n addition to the wonderful work that you are doing, I am envious, in a good way of the word, of the space that you have available in your workbench :woot.gif:

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone, it's about time to bring this thread back from the dead.

I've managed to find time to get some work done on the display base for the Big Cat while I wait to pick up my lacquer thinner. All the materials were cut, sanded and primed. I gave everything a few days to dry really well then

sanded the primer. I made the corner piece and top trim pieces out of poplar and the rest of the box out of 3/4" MDF. Next I layed out for the "victory stripe" and sprayed the entire area gloss white. I'll give this a few days to

dry and then I'll mask off for the yellow stripes. I also painted the corner piece and top trim pieces satin black. Once these are dry I will give them a few coats of semi-gloss poly spray. I'm not rushing this because I want

the paint to dry really well so I don't get any marks on the paint from the masking tape. Slow and steady wins the race.

IMG_5372_zpschalfo4g.jpg

I've also been staring at the fuel dump area near the tailhook so, I finally addressed this area. I used my dremel bit to hollow out the area, drilled a small hole and, added a piece of brass wire for good measure. It looks a lot

better IMO.

IMG_5368_zpsxlbwu81d.jpg

I am hoping once the base is finished I should be ready to send this jet to the paint barn (fingers crossed), it's about time to finish this project. Thanks to all who are still along for the ride, til the next update ....

Steve

I'm glad your back at it. You build the coolest displays I've seen.

Thanks bud, appreciate it.

Wow.

I am not entirely sure how I missed this. Incredible work!

Really looking forward to seeing this progress.

Thanks, I think it will be pretty cool when finished (fingers crossed).

Steve

Small update for today on the display base. I shot the yellow striping early this morning and unmasked everything. Once the yellow is good and dry I'll mask off the yellow stripes and mask off the white triangles (4 per side),

then I can spray the black on the four base pieces. The corner piece and top trim pieces are already clear coated and finished. Thanks to those who still show interest in this project.

Steve

IMG_5382_zpsqmjd26nz.jpg

How could we not show interest? This build is awesome. And, that your wood working skills are just as good as your modeling skills just adds to it. Keep it up!

Thanks very much F20D.

Still show interest??? you should thank us for not sending messages everyday asking for updates!! this is an awesome show!

That's pretty good kike, thanks for the kind words.

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the display base top just yet but, I did find this today at the craft store. I was hoping to find something like this, stay tuned.

Steve

IMG_5385_zps8ikquved.jpg

Man, that's some scary, powerful s**t for your display.

Whoa, how cool would that be for your display?! Man, you have to figure out a way to incorporate that.

This is about to go to a whole new level of awesome.

Thanks guys much appreciated. I'm trying to approach this display like my 154 display, I want to make a display that would be "Ready Room" worthy. The skull and bones need some sanding to get rid of their seam lines and of course

a repaint and weathering but, I think they'll fit right in with the display. The skull would also be right at home in a VF-2 display as well.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY!"

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Greetings all,

Today's update, finally after 3 1/2 hours of tedious masking, what a PITA this was, I'm ready to spray black.

IMG_5393_zpskyf8a35i.jpg

IMG_5394_zps8wbd6o0w.jpg

This better be worth it or I'm gonna be one pissed off human being. I'll let the black dry overnight and unmask everything tomorrow. Once everything is good and dry, I'll give it a few coats of clear poly. Once the clear dries

I can then assemble the base. So, we'll see what tomorrow brings, til next time .....

Steve

Greetings everyone,

Well all that time spent masking was time well spent. All 4 sides came out very nice and I'm very happy with the results. Next up some coats of poly clear spray and this display base will almost be finished. Thanks for stopping

by and having a look. Until the next update, .......

Steve

IMG_5395_zpsb4gwkbhk.jpg

• 1 month later...

Greetings all, very glad to be back. Thanks for all your hard work Mr. Bamford for getting IMO, THE PREMIER site back up again.

I finally got the base finished for my Big Cat. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do on the white primer section yet so, for now we'll call it complete. This was quite the project in itself and I'm really happy with how it came out. I'd say it would look at home in the "Ready Room". Now I just have to get the important part finished.
Thanks for having a look and until the next update.

Steve

IMG_5406_zpsgroma2jx.jpg

IMG_5405_zpsnwjxdmwa.jpg

Well, eventually the display will get an acrylic cover over it so, I think the cotton clouds would been fine but,
I'm still tossing around ideas for the top of the base. I can either ;
A ) use cotton as a cloud cover.
B ) have my friend, who is a very talented artist, do something on it or,
C ) go with one of these designs, which means I would have to paint the white primer area black. Plus, I still need to finish off the skull and bones.

Plus, nothing will be permanently affixed to the base so I can change up the display from time to time to keep things fresh.

IMG_5402_zpsgllqa25w.jpg

IMG_5407_zpstpm4cxuo.jpg

IMG_5411_zpspdlyw58o.jpg

Edited by A-10 LOADER