1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

Sir, this is on epic build as far as I can see. :jaw-dropping: Congrats. I have the same model so sometime will be reworking mine as well. On the note of the pilots in the pit, have you considered sculpting them a bit? I mean to cover the toy-looking body joints with milliput or similar putty to add more realism? Your model is very accurate and pretty close to reality so if you are planning to address the bang seat handles, might as well address those pilots, it woul add more realism to your already great build. In my opinion you have gone so far, this may be just a minor work on the crew.

Just my two cents worth to the discussion.

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbsup::salute:

Thanks for the kind words Jarda. I did consider "working" the aircrew and that can be something that I can still do later on. I suck at painting figures and didn't want to ruin them. For now I want to focus on getting the Big Cat finished. Thanks for checking in however.

Steve

The crew were obtained from Bad Cat Toys. When they were first offered you could get them in painted form or unpainted. I ordered two sets, one for my VF-154 jet and one for this build. I have seen them on EBAY so, I know they are still obtainable. I still feel they should have come with the jet.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New plaque remade, thanks to Brian for the info.

IMG_4299_zps98bb98a2.jpg

On a side note, my mom has been in hospice care for the last 3 weeks so, progress has been REALLY SLOW on the Big Cat lately. I've tried to sit and get things accomplished but, my mind wanders and it's really no use. At this point I don't want to screw up anything because I can't focus. Not sure when the next update will be but, thanks to all of you who are still keeping a watch on this project.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Greetimgs everyone, hope you all had a great Christmas. Thanks Aurora Mark.

I've managed to get my head straight long enough to complete a few items so, on with today's updates.

I decided to fill in the wing root where it meets the Radar Warning ECM antenna fairing, it was too severe for my liking. Good call BUZZ, it does look better. I'll have to go back and redo some of the "panel fastener" detail however.

IMG_4331_zpsb6bc5c09.jpg

The front windscreen is all set to be glued into place. The tape is to keep the clear parts glue from getting all over. I need a clean, seamless joint to the fuselage and I do not want to sand anywhere near the glass. I'm hoping once I lay the glue in place I can smooth it out with a damp Q-Tip .... fingers crossed.

IMG_4300_zpsde2d733d.jpg

I drilled the main canopy and inserted some small brass rods to help spread the canopy back to where it needs to be. Now when the canopy is closed it lines up nicely with the forward windscreen. The main canopy also got sanded with some 600 grit to accept the black paint before the primer. I also added the lightning dissapaters to the underside of the canopy. I cut thin strips of .010" sheet plastic and used the clear parts cement to attach them then colored them with a bronze sharpie.

IMG_4334_zpsf8eb2a44.jpg

IMG_4333_zpsb65dcaef.jpg

Some forward progress, better than nothing I guess. Thanks to all who are still following along and enjoy your weekend.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Brief update for today, it's been a tough 9 weeks for our family and on Friday afternoon my mom passed peacefully. I know she is in a better place now but, it dosen't make it any easier to accept. I will miss her very much.

Needless to say, no updates this week. I WILL get back on the Big Cat however, mom would have wanted it that way.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Thank you crackerjazz, very much appreciated.

Well now, time to get this forum back up and running again.

Today's update is brief but, still progress. After many coats of clear cement I finally got the forward windscreen blended in to the fuselage. Some primer will give me a better idea of how it really looks. I also took a suggestion from Chuck and used Rust-Oleum texture paint for the walkways on top of the intakes. I tested it on an old A-10 that I use to practice various airbrush techniques. I think it looks the part and will work out nicely on the Big Cat. Thanks very much Chuck, great idea.

I really appreciate all of you who are hanging in there and still showing interest in this project. Til the next update, all the best.

Steve

IMG_4358_zpsa00zr6ao.jpg

644b3f3e-3aab-434d-a49f-a7a2f701db8e_zpslf9bvb7c.jpg

IMG_4359_zpsssrphbwi.jpg

Looks great Steve! When those walkways get good and hard (~ 1 week), sand them down a bit to get them more to scale.

Also, the Rustoleum idea is all Marcel's. I just use it more often than he does! ;)

Will do Chuck, thanks.

Well then, I guess I have to thank both of you guys equally. It really is a great idea, simple to do and, looks very authentic when finished .... at least for this scale.

Steve

Greetings all,

I managed to get some time in today on the Tomcat. I restored the " panel fastener " detail to the areas that I did a little bodywork to.

IMG_4382_zpss4z9plda.jpg

I also attached the small brass pins to the canopy with some JB Weld 2 part epoxy and, got the main canopy masked off and ready for black paint. Once the black dries I'll apply the medium gray FS35237. This all depends on how my airbrush decides to act. I just ordered a bunch of needles, aircaps and, tips.

IMG_4383_zpsmyffcigy.jpg

IMG_4380_zpsgitnclbn.jpg

I also managed to solve my compressor issue. I picked this new one up back in January. This should be a major upgrade over my old diaphram compressor and it's alot quieter. Now I need to get my Grex airbrush and I should be set for a while. Thanks for stopping by and your continued interest.

Steve

IMG_4381_zps3ghzkjoi.jpg

Thanks falcon20driver. The prices are nuts for these Cats today, I'm glad I got them when they first come out.

Small update for today, I managed to get the canopy painted flat black and, as I usually do, I mixed too much paint so I used the extra to check all my bodywork, rescribed panel lines, panel lines that I had filled in, etc. Things look pretty good, IMO at this stage so, the next step will to be to join the nose section to the main body and address that seam that I will need to make disappear.

IMG_4384_zpspo2aatog.jpg

IMG_4385_zpsme4vlqpt.jpg

IMG_4387_zps81x0x3th.jpg

IMG_4386_zpszowc909w.jpg

Thanks so much to everyone who still shows an interest in this lengthly project.

Steve

Steve, I'm sorry to read about your mothers passing. My folks talking about their time with us and though I know they will be in better place but it's not easy to comprehend that one day they will move on. It's part of life we all have to live through. I just pray good Lord gives us all needed strength when that time comes. So, my prayers goes out to you and your family.

I am pleased to see you are building again. I have always enjoyed seeing your work on the big Cat. I wish I could afford one but I don't feel like giving a months rent for a kit :wacko:/> but she sure is looking nice :thumbsup:/>

Mike

Steve, great to see you moving this project along.

Also, the Rustoleum idea is all Marcel's. I just use it more often than he does! ;)

Thx Chuck! Fear not, will get back into that F-4J which has those walkways (unlike Chico) as soon as the Growler is done.

:cheers:

Marcel

Thank you Youngtiger1 and Marcel111.

Very brief update for today. I am very fortunate and honored to have a " professional " model builder for a friend. He is also a Vietnam vet and a GREAT person. Throughout this project I have refered to him many, many times to guide me on certain things, ask him questions and get his opinion on how to tackle that next step.

A few weeks ago I asked him if he would be willing to make me a new pitot tube for each of my Big Cats. Yesterday he delivered a homerun !! He turned this out of 1/4" aluminum stock and it looks great on the jet. The one that came with the jet was plastic, which was destined to get broken and, was proportionally incorrect. Here is a shot of the new one installed on my VF-154 jet, much better IMO and I don't have to paint it.

IMG_4396_zpsu6oftp7u.jpg

We also have been talking about how I am going to prime / paint this beast ?? I figured on using Tamiya spray cans just because of the shear size of this thing, then going back with the airbrush and washes for weathering. He suggested I give this a try and that I wouldn't be disappointed. I am anxious to try this baby out but, I'm not quite ready for primer just yet. Again, I am fortunate to have such a good friend and can't thank him enough for all his guidance and expertise, YOU ROCK BUZZ !!!

IMG_4394_zpsqpfigwex.jpg

Next up is to get the forward nose section mated to the main body. Thanks again to those who still find this project of interest and til next time, take care.

Steve