The 1/48th scale Kfir Showdown

:woot.gif: That's such an impressive job, Janne, for which I'm eternally thankful. Ever since I learnt 'bout the releasement of both kits, I've been tryin' to figure out which one was best.

Being a fan of the Mirage, I was only left with the bliss of puttin' together the old Esci offerin' - meanin' the 1/48 Kfir C2 "Dog Kit" :rolleyes: Not that I'd be prone to put down a kit 'cause of its inaccuracies in shape, but rather, it was everythin' else on it that put me off.

There was a whole plethora of issues with that kit, even though it was the only game in town 'til these two finally came along this year. Be that as it may, this is Argentina, where new releases might take forever to arrive - or not arrive at all. :crying2:

As I was tellin' ye, I had the bliss of puttin' together the Esci Kfir, for which - again - I had to purchase a whole plethora of aftermarkets; namely, Ricardo Dacoba's IAI Finger resin nose conversion, Scale Aircraft Conversion's white metal landing gear, Eagle Design's resin bits for the Kfir 'n' a lotta Plastruct styrene stock in many shapes 'n' sizes.

Ya might as well imagine how I felt when I saw Kinetic 'n' AvantGarde release their Kfir kits, both of which looked as though they would build just awesome right out of the box... :bandhead2:

After all the grief, as far as I've seen, me thinks the Kinetic kit would suit me better. Reason for it being the cockpit. Still haven't had the pleasure of gettin' my hands on any of 'em personally. Guess I'll have to either order one online or wait 'til our president leaves government in December 2015, huh?

One of the matters which makes up my mind on the Kinetic kit so far is sumthin' ya've mentioned regardin' the cockpit 'n' bang seat sizes; AMK's does feel a tad oversized to me. Bang seat dimension in 1/48th scale should be round 1 centimeter in width, whereas cockpit width should also be 1cm wide from wall to wall. Mirage cockpits are real narrow.

Would ya kindly measure width on both the Kinetic 'n' AMK seats, please, my mate? That oughta tell me sumthin' with regard to it, methinks. The one other feature I like on the Kinetic offerin' is the intake trunks goin' thru' 'n' thru' - even when one can hardly notice it once they're built together. It's just that I've been searchin' all over for the trunk internal scheme in the Mirage - bought a couple of French books to no avail. Y'see, it's been ages since I was intendin' to do a Mirage goin' thru' an engine overhaul procedure, hence, needed to learn how the intake trunks looked like from within the airframe in the Mirage.

Thanks again for a kick-arse job, Janne. :worship:

Cheers, bloke

UncĀ²

PS: A sheila goin' by the name of Alexandra Larsson says hi. Told me to give her regards to both ye 'n' Bosse. :whistle:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya guys :)/>

Not forgotten just buried under work and family :P/>

About time you got back to work :) But that doesn't mean you can shirk your responsibilities to your model-building friends.

Cheers,

Dave

• 5 months later...

Ah well...this is a sign of life :D

IĀ“ve installed the HUDs.... fixed some gaps on the kinetic IP shroud.(I liked the little touch in the Kinetic kit with a separate HUD projectorlens)

IMG_0975_zps27e857b8.jpg

And dipped the clear parts in future.... now which was which again?

IMG_0976_zpsf1b29401.jpg

More to follow during the week

Cheers!

PrimeĀ® time

Begun the evening with masking the canopies and windscreens...

IMG_0978_zpsc88e824e.jpg

And stuffing foam plastic in holes....

IMG_0983_zpsc882fb80.jpg

Then some flat black around the frames...

IMG_0984_zps053f6b65.jpg

And topped it off with some Alclad grey primer.

IMG_0986_zps4dcb1419.jpg

Hmmm...I primed the small stuff too that I had in my forrests of parts...tho seems they had been culled since last

and IĀ“ll have to have a look-see around the hobby room for some pylons and launchers and stuff :P

Cheers!

Hmm...ok, I found a launcher that was missing but the missing pylon is nowhere to be found....

Its the right side forward fuselage pylon for the AMK kit thatĀ“s gone. Chances of finding it are growing slimmer...

Darn!

Oh well... got bored from looking for the part (tho the hobby room starts looking cleaner)

So I put on a little preshade on the Kfirs :D Going for a little more subtle shade this time so I shaded with Tamyia XF-65 German grey instead of black.

The upper sides done with squiggles and all :D

IMG_0987_zps2825f655.jpg

As are the bottom sides ...

IMG_0988_zps8c9785b7.jpg

Cheers!

Meh, sometimes I'm just stupid ( no need to agree). I just realised that on the c7 I used the new pylons under the intakes. ..that means I can use the old type pylons from the kinetic kit on the AMK kit.

Of the two kits, which one is overall the better one?

I really canĀ“t tell...both have their pros and cons, itĀ“s more a matter of taste, I think itĀ“s that close between the kits.

Looking through the topic I think everybody has to make the decision on their own based on whatĀ“s been presented. I tried to be as unbiased as possible in the thread and just present things as they are.

OK then we have some paint.....At least on the under sides :P

First off was the AMK Ecuadorian C2, it recieved thn coats over the preshade wtih FS 36622, I use Lifecolor acrylics btw.

IMG_0990_zps5a6d0d79.jpg

And the KInetic Israeli C7 got coated with FS 36375

IMG_0991_zpsbc70315b.jpg

Then I brought forth my rarely used Iwata CM-B with a .18mm needle, yeah IĀ“m thinking freehand cammo here........

Well since I rarely use it and IĀ“ve never used it with Lifecolor before I set out to make a test run. Just to get the preassure and mixture right.

My GP airbrush is an Iwata HP-CH+ and IĀ“ve used it constatly for the last 5 years or so...IĀ“m pretty good with it by now and know how it behaves with different paints.

The CM-B tho...my big prize...is still pretty much unused, I used it on a freehand scheme on an IAF MirageIII CJ a few years ago....

Anyways, time to see how it behaves and how well I can use it...

I tried it on a 1/48th scale F-14 droptank.....

IMG_0992_zps4e3ed21f.jpg

Well...that went so so.... The controll was gorgeous and I used plenty of retarder in the acrylic paint (otherwise it builds up on the needle too fast)

But the atomisation doesnĀ“t look 100% still some overspray splatter. I tried a pretty thinned paint at first and 1.8 Bar of preassure. That proved a bit hard to put down.

I increased the ratio of paint with 50% and dialed down the preassure to 1.3 Bar. That worked much better that I still got splatter....I believe the splatter isnĀ“t from

the airbrush itself but from paint bouncing off the surface and splatter outside the color border caused by me spraying to slow so the paint builds upp too fast and pools

a wee bit.

I think the problem now lies in the angle IĀ“m shooting at and and the pace I move the airbrush....guess I need some practice :P

Cheers!

Interesting to read about your experience with the Iwata...

I've been wanting to buy one for a long time now, but still haven't. Since we both live in Sweden: where did you buy your Iwata? (if I may ask...)

/Kristian

Interesting to read about your experience with the Iwata...

I've been wanting to buy one for a long time now, but still haven't. Since we both live in Sweden: where did you buy your Iwata? (if I may ask...)

/Kristian

Sure :)/>

I bought my HP-CH in the US by proxy....got a good deal on that, 1/3rd cheaper than in sweden. But my CM-B was bought right here in Gƶteborg. there's an Iwata outlet here.

http://www.lackman.se/produkter/tillverkare/iwata/

Edited by Aigore

OK then we have some paint.....At least on the under sides tongue.gif

First off was the AMK Ecuadorian C2, it recieved thn coats over the preshade wtih FS 36622, I use Lifecolor acrylics btw.

IMG_0990_zps5a6d0d79.jpg

And the KInetic Israeli C7 got coated with FS 36375

IMG_0991_zpsbc70315b.jpg

Cheers!

They're starting to look sexier now that you're applying color!

And the painting continues.....

I begun todays session with masking off the undersides....

The C2...hard edged border so I just used tape

IMG_0995_zps89f6aa57.jpg

The C7 got some tac-it since the border is a wee bit softer...

IMG_0996_zpsc52cc34a.jpg

and some tape...

IMG_0997_zpsd722a388.jpg

Now I didnĀ“t have the recomended FS34257...but I got a wee shade darker in FS34258...shouldnĀ“t make that much difference :P

IMG_0998_zps44979a63.jpg

And some FS33531, this is the first time I try Gunze acrylics and well they feel fine....just like Tamyia...neato!

IMG_0999_zpse4de8bc1.jpg

Well then.... after this comes the fiddley freehand painting with the Custom Micron... I might do some more trainign before I get on with it..

Cheers!