Advice for the vendors

Hi all,

Click over to Scale Model Soup for the next in my series of articles leading up to next week's IPMS Nats. This one is about "that guy" who shows up at every contest. I guarantee you'll know him.

As always, I'd love to hear your stories. Enjoy!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

EDITED Aug 7.

Edited by thegoodsgt

There is a large kit swap meet three times a year in Buena Park. One time, a guy on HS joked that they probably wouldn't let him in because he had bathed just the day before. Having gone to this swap meet numerous times, I completely understood the guy's point.

Excellent article, Steven.

I've only been to a handful of shows but I am a keen observer. In the area of the non-professional vendors I see two types of guy: The guy who wants to sell his models and the guy who really doesn't.

I get the guy who wants to sell. He has a big stash, he wants to buy other models, he's selling for friends... who knows... but he is there to move models. Want to make a deal? This guy makes you buy two at a discount. Package deal? No problem. Price too much? Make me an offer. These guys I understand. I've bought way too much from this guy... and yet, I still want to see what he might have.

I don't get the guy who does not want to sell. I mean, yes - he likes the idea of selling his models... in theory. But really he doesn't in practice. Maybe its some strange idea of his to make a 'profit' off his 20 year old models. Maybe he promised the wife that he would 'try' to sell off part of that 600 model stash he has never touched in 10 years. But he packs it all up for the show... sets it all up for the show... and ends up taking most of it home as the show shuts down. I just don't get the point of this. Want to buy a 20 year old Hase Corsair for $25? Yeah the box is open, parts might be missing and the decals are gone but HLJ has these for $30! I can usually see these guys from a mile away. Its got to be something in the DNA.