Camouflage Wars Part VII

And this "green"; its found in nature, and we are painting our vehicles in it again?

And black?!? I have it on good authority - Army authority - that black is not a color commonly found in nature.

“Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye”

- Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the Clothing and Individual Equipment NCO in charge of ACU, 2004.

Edited by Trigger

And black?!? I have it on good authority - Army authority - that black is not a color commonly found in nature.

“Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye”

- Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the Clothing and Individual Equipment NCO in charge of ACU, 2004.

Black is the new black

Always thought that was a bit comical. Spend 5 minutes in the woods and tell me that you don't see anything black.

How many millions did they waste on that camo design? In all honesty, are the new army camo uniforms THAT much of an advance over the 30 year old woodland BDU's?

Next time just put me in charge.

Always thought that was a bit comical. Spend 5 minutes in the woods and tell me that you don't see anything black.

How many millions did they waste on that camo design? In all honesty, are the new army camo uniforms THAT much of an advance over the 30 year old woodland BDU's?

Next time just put me in charge.

JUST LOL that you think the person who designed ACU spent even 5 minutes in the woods. Just LOL

Apparently this guy couldn't be bothered to find out why they used black in the first place. Studies found black broke up the shape so the eye didn't recognize a tank (or man or jeep) outline it saw several individual blobs.

These people have the attention spans of 3 year olds hopped up on Mountain Dew. It's like the quote posted in the F35 thread, where after spending a considerable amount of time explaining that the F35 totally makes the A10 redundant, and then in almost the next paragraph he explains that the USAF never planned for the F35 to replace the A10, they want to get a new dedicated CAS aircraft in the works to replace the A10. :doh:

The F-35 will be able to perform high-threat close-air support in contested environments the A-10 could never survive, Welsh told reporters, although he noted the aircraft won't be fully operational until 2021 and beyond.

The fighter jet is designed "with the entire battlespace in mind" — it is equipped with advanced stealth, integrated avionics and an integrated sensor package, which will provide the pilot enhanced situational awareness, said F-35 Joint Program Office spokesman Joe DellaVedova.

The plane has proven its ability to conduct close-air support missions at night and during the day, according to DellaVedova. During exercises, the aircraft was able to receive targets from terminal air controllers on the ground, and then attack and prosecute targets in a timely manner, he said.

Still, Welsh noted the Air Force never intended to use the multi-role fighter jet as a direct replacement for the A-10, which is a single-mission platform dedicated to close-in attack.

"The idea that the F-35 is going to walk in this door next year when it [reaches initial operational capability] and take over for the A-10 is just silly," Welsh said. "It has never been our intent and we've never said that, so that's not a plan."

Welsh said he would like to see an A-10 replacement, often referred to as A-X, that can perform the low-threat CAS mission even better than the legacy Warthog. Service officials have recently indicated a notional A-X might be in the works.

• 4 months later...

Slowly, the US Army is coming to the conclusion that the color black has uses after all. After years of studies and in a truly revolutionary decision that is sure to enhance the effectiveness of the warfighter:

http://www.army.mil/article/158182/Black_socks_now_authorized_for_PT_uniform/

Slowly, the US Army is coming to the conclusion that the color black has uses after all. After years of studies and in a truly revolutionary decision that is sure to enhance the effectiveness of the warfighter:

http://www.army.mil/article/158182/Black_socks_now_authorized_for_PT_uniform/

The army told nature there is no black in it and that is that, trooper

Black is found all over in nature, especially at night... :)/>/>/>

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

Disagreeing with what the Army declared nature was huh? A lot of wise guys in this thread. Black does not occur in nature for the last time, This is why the entire army switched to black berets entirely, only 2 years before making this statement.

Classic insubordination. What is it with Army guys? or Johns? or Army guys named John? Your punishment is to develop a universal camouflauge that includes both the moon an Mars, along with the standard earth patterns of course.

(If you fail in this don't worry, we will all pretend like it works for at least a few years:)

acu-pic02.jpg

What soldier!? The only thing I see is that black rifle, and classic woodland vest. Wink Wink

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Disagreeing with what the Army declared nature was huh? A lot of wise guys in this thread. Black does not occur in nature for the last time, This is why the entire army switched to black berets entirely, only 2 years before making this statement.

Classic insubordination. What is it with Army guys? or Johns? or Army guys named John? Your punishment is to develop a universal camouflauge that includes both the moon an Mars, along with the standard earth patterns of course.

(If you fail in this don't worry, we will all pretend like it works for at least a few years:)

acu-pic02.jpg

What soldier!? The only thing I see is that black rifle, and classic woodland vest. Wink Wink

The Multicam uniform is pretty good, but the stupid part is replacing it with the almost identical uniform. I have about 10 sets of Multicam, but before too long I'll have to spend a few hundred bucks on new uniforms in nearly the same pattern just slightly different. I do have a bunch of the UCP uniforms too, but I stopped wearing them as soon as I could.

The Multicam uniform is pretty good, but the stupid part is replacing it with the almost identical uniform. I have about 10 sets of Multicam, but before too long I'll have to spend a few hundred bucks on new uniforms in nearly the same pattern just slightly different. I do have a bunch of the UCP uniforms too, but I stopped wearing them as soon as I could.

Can they really tell the difference between Multicam and the new stuff? Especially from a distance. What a silly waste making you chuck all that gear out.

Hey, at least you can be rocking black socks for morning PT. How freakin' cool is that? I however still wait patiently for the day they permit 70's style tube socks to be worn.

Can they really tell the difference between Multicam and the new stuff? Especially from a distance. What a silly waste making you chuck all that gear out.

Hey, at least you can be rocking black socks for morning PT. How freakin' cool is that? I however still wait patiently for the day they permit 70's style tube socks to be worn.

You are authorized to wear the fire retardant multicam uniforms issued for deployment and the digital ACU patterns for a couple more years. Enlisted Soldiers are also given a yearly clothing allowance to help cover the costs associated. The issue with the multicams is the same with any form of uniform that is fire retardant and gets put in a washing machine, it looks like garbage and unserviceable after a few washes. With multicam only being issued for deployments all of the uniforms for big Army were and still are made of this material.

It's pretty cool of the SMA to listen to Soldiers to help guide his decisions. The socks, tattoos, earbuds in the gym while in PT's, etc are all from him going out and talking with the force. He also PT's with Soldiers every chance he gets.

Edited by fulcrum1

You forgot Uranus....

John Hairell

tpn18@yahoo.com

You are authorized to wear the fire retardant multicam uniforms issued for deployment and the digital ACU patterns for a couple more years. Enlisted Soldiers are also given a yearly clothing allowance to help cover the costs associated. The issue with the multicams is the same with any form of uniform that is fire retardant and gets put in a washing machine, it looks like garbage and unserviceable after a few washes. With multicam only being issued for deployments all of the uniforms for big Army were and still are made of this material.

It's pretty cool of the SMA to listen to Soldiers to help guide his decisions. The socks, tattoos, earbuds in the gym while in PT's, etc are all from him going out and talking with the force. He also PT's with Soldiers every chance he gets.

The clothing allowance helps some for enlisted, but one new uniform is about $100 and a pair of brown boots is another $100. Add a couple sets of the new PT uniform and the clothing allowance is gone. The new Scorpion pattern is essentially the same thing just with some minor changes like zippers on the sleeve pockets and a slightly different pattern.

The SMA is great, I was in 4 ID when he was the Division CSM. It is nice to see a Sergeant Major listen to troops.

• 2 months later...

Another ill-conceived camouflage uniform headed to the ash-heap of history.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/04/23/navy-ready-dump-militarys-most-pointless-uniform/83247058/

$224 million just to develop it (how in God's name can that be) and they didn't figure out that in a fire (which is known to occasionally happen on a ship, especially in combat), it melts to your skin. So this classic is restricted to being worn shore-side only.

Another ill-conceived camouflage uniform headed to the ash-heap of history.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/04/23/navy-ready-dump-militarys-most-pointless-uniform/83247058/

$224 million just to develop it (how in God's name can that be) and they didn't figure out that in a fire (which is known to occasionally happen on a ship, especially in combat), it melts to your skin. So this classic is restricted to being worn shore-side only.

How many MRAPS can you buy with 224 million? this happened on Gates' watch?

I can't tell what snarky comment I should go with...

"yet another failed attempt by the navy to imitate Marines" or "I loved it, because you could see them coming a mile away"

I do enjoy throwing this in the face of a certain navy fanboy on other forums who says the navy is the most practical service. LOL sure it is, sure it is.

"save millions a year with one type of uniform" how revolutionary!!

Took them this long to re-realize this? "slimming down the sea bag" You mean the navy doesn't need its own variety of FOUR unique camouflage uniforms? The crazy USMC "makes do" with only 2...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Curious...and perhaps I am missing something...but why can't the services all use the same camouflage pattern? In other words all branches would have the same woodland version, the same desert version, the same winter version etc. I mean the desert is the desert no matter if you're a Marine or an Army soldier. The same with the jungle, woodlands, winter/snow etc. There would be no need for millions to be spent by each individual branch to come up with their own distinct camouflage this way.

Correct?

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

Semi-related to this thread - after years of angst and soul searching, the US Army is allowing it's soldiers to roll up their sleeves. Maybe...

http://taskandpurpose.com/army-may-finally-get-roll-sleeves/

They are even allowing them to have the inside of the shirt sleeve showing instead of the camouflaged outside. My God, could the Marines have been right all along?

I am shaken by this decision. All those years spent folding my BDU sleeves so the outside was showing and now this? My Army is going soft.

• 5 months later...

Just found a semi-interesting article about the US Army field testing a new type of fabric for it's current camo uniform.   What really caught my eye was this part:

Each soldier received three prototypes. Each uniform was made from the same wool-based blend. One was “garment treated” with permethrin, an insecticide, and another “fabric treated” with permethrin. The third was untreated.” – U.S. Army

Given the US Military's long and glorious history of exposing it's troops to various nasty chemicals, I'm not sure I really would be up for wearing a uniform that includes a built-in insecticide.   I'm sure that the military will trot out a bunch of studies that tell the world this stuff is safe.  Equally sure they probably did the same for other chemicals back in the day such as Agent Orange, DDT, etc. 

Full article here:

https://sofrep.com/68918/us-army-rd-is-testing-out-a-wool-based-fabric-for-new-combat-uniforms/

In other uniform related news, a mid-east military that wishes to remain anonymous is issuing a new load carrying kit.  I for one am totally impressed.  Talk about a Full Spectrum Warrior, this guy is ready for anything from a light bondage scenario to a full-out apocalypse.  We're falling behind guys.  That being said, with Mattis the new SecDef, I'm sure we'll at least be seeing the Marines rocking this new rig shortly. 

15288538_10207148402819740_3490707383836555592_o.jpg

Why are they always trying to reinvent the wheel with this? why army? why?

Step 1. pick a pattern. step 2. pick two or maybe 3 colors. Step 3. issue 5 uniforms, 3/2 of each color, or if you picked 3 colors, 2-2-2. farking move on.

It's been 12 years since the marines started fielding digital camo uniforms

0f5ec2c0809bceeaca45792459bd39f0ecf933d4

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

You can buy clothes from LL Bean and others with same treatment. Anyone who has spent time in tick/chigger infested areas should know about the magic in a bottle called permethrin. You can buy it in concentrated form at a feed store and mix your own ratio at home to treat your clothes or just buy the Sawyer brand at Walmart. I'll take my chances with this (we've been using it since I can remember) rather than a tick caring Lyme disease.

As far as uniform change, they're not changing the pattern. It's just R&D looking into the material in an effort to get away from the fire retardants applied to the uniforms you deploy with. FYI, they've been testing out newer jungle stuff too with different materials.