Question re Sidewinders carried by Hawaii ANG F-4Cs circa 1983

Hi Guys,

I am trying to work out the appropriate Sidewinders to fit to a Hawaii ANG F-4C Phantom circa 1983. I have found some photos showing AIM-9Ps and later ones showing AIM-9Ls. My question is when did they change over to the later missiles? I would really like to use AIM-9Ls but the subject I am doing crashed in 1983 (the F-4C from the Caracal decal sheet) so knowing that they had AIM-9Ls prior (unlikely I know) would be useful.

Cheers,

Ken

Edited by Biggles81

Hawaii was an air defense unit, and by '83 theirs were all ADC gray. In 1987 they got the F-15As from Elmendorf.

I was in the HIANG in '85, we had SEA camo, wrap around camo, Hill scheme and ADC gray on the ramp all at the same time. For a little while, there was one that was both SEA and Hill due to a wing swap after an engine fire. I wish I had pictures of that one...

Oh that's right - Hawaii was one of those units that had a mix of paint schemes. Kansas was the same way. I took a pic of KS F-4Ds on the transient ramp at Elmendorf in wrap around SEA, wrap around Euro, Hill Gray, and ADC gray all sitting next to one another.