building the KH 1/48 F-101A/C Voodoo

I am a two hole guy myself, and had high expectations for the F-101B kit and the up coming Banshee kits, but I wish their tooling and engineering were better. If they are happy to be known as a short run kit company, then all the power to them, but if they want to get up to the quality of Tamigawa or Eduard, they have a ton of improvement to do. I'm not getting any younger, and I am tired of elbow grease type work to get a kit to fit.

Cheers

Brad

How did you make out with the Burner cans? Mine would not fit properly w/o brute modeling strength?

I am still working on the wing- to fuselage fit....BTW-I am also doing a Monogram F-101B as a dual build article for a magazine so it is interesting to see how Monogram 29 yo moldings are better in many ways than this new kit? The fit is a lot better on the Monogram kit-We can thank Bill Koster for that! At elast Monogram polished their friggin molds. What is up with that in China--Kinetic doesnt either?

Overall it isnt terrible but it could be a lot better considering the price. I will get the RF when it hits the shelves but definitely NOT the B since Monogram does it Right all you have to do is re-scribe...adn their 1/72 kit is a gem w/ nicely scribed detail! They scale that up and it is a hands down winner for best F-101B!!!!

Steve

Well, I'm just an average builder and far from being a "Rivit Counter", but I think the kit is easy to build, parts can fit together just fine with some trial fitting, the plastic is actually a little soft making sanding and shaping an easy task. There are a ton of sink marks that need to be addressed, more of a minor annoyance than a hindrance, but ultimately I believe the average modeler would be happy with the outcome of the kit, just the kit quality doesn't match it's current price tag.

Airframe built up with Tamiya Light Gray Primer topped with a light coat of Tamiya Bare Metal Silver Spray. A few missed sink marks still need to be addressed before final coat can be applied. Looks like an F-101C to me!

IMG_0904_zps34084b78.jpg

Edited by scorvi

Looks like a nice build-up to me. One thing I was one-oh-wondering though was the panel lines around the nose/gun area. In the picture, they look rather trench-like. Is that how they actually are on the model or was it just a matter of funky lighting on the metalic finish? They kind of remind me of the trench-like panel lines on the Revell 1/72 B-17G.

Eric

Here's a closeup of the gun area, I probably could of got a better fit of the parts if I would of spent more time with them under better lighting. Silver paint doesn't lie, it shows everything you though was finished but isn't, so I still have a little work to do around the gun ports and such before final painting.

IMG_0905_zps703ed874.jpg

IMG_0907_zps37eb2f71.jpg

IMG_0912_zps2ab17bb7.jpg

IMG_0910_zps49bf058d.jpg

Edited by bashace
  • 3 weeks later...

With reference to the Modelling Madness review.

At present I cannot comment on the kit as I am still awaiting stock in the UK.

However Mr Cleaver is in error. The F-101 in service in the UK Was NMF[/i. (Yes I saw them in the flesh) Only later did it have the centre upper fuselage painted in aluminium paint, and latterly in grey. This was not common to all airframes.

Two aircraft were also painted overall in grey,

56-038_zpsba4897f3.jpg

I'm also surprised no mention has been made if the incorrect intakes, the KH offerings being for the two holer.

'The intakes have been discussed here and elsewhere.'

Yes, but Mr Cleaver didn't pick up on it.........................

I'll leave my opinions until I have one and have spilled glue and blood over it.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw