Hi, this is my 1/48 Hasegawa F-14D being done in the markings of VF-2 Bounty Hunters, it will be the CAG 100 Bird during their final Tomcat cruise aboard the USS Constellation in 2003. I'll be using resin cockpit, wheel wells, weapons pallets, exhaust nozzles and wheels. The decals are the very good Fightertown Decals and P.E for the wing boots.

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_38712.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

Here she is with a bit of color on her. I want to do some weathering with AK Interactive Worn Effects, not sure how this will work. I still need to re-paint the weapons pallets, wheel wells, leading edge of the wings and walkways. If I can't achieve the desired effect with the AK stuff then after decaling I'll do the salt trick.

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

comments welcome...

Hi Taiidan, I was a bit nervous about doing the PE too, but it wasn't that bad. You get a couple of templates so you know exactly were to cut, and then it's just a matter of gluing everything into place. It blended quite nicely onto the top of the fuselage and I'm happy with the result, I'm glad you like it.

Just a quick update, painting is all finished and a coat of Future has been applied. I painted on the walkways as you don't get any in the Fightertown set and my Hasegawa ones were all cracked. I masked them up and experimented with Plaster Filler for fixing cracks in walls. I applied a thin coat but after painting wasn't completely happy with the result, so I sanded it down a bit and rubbed away the mess with a piece of tissue. I then re-masked it and gave it another shot of Gunze H301 and I was much happier. I need more practice at doing this as when I did it on a piece of scrap plastic it looked great.

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

Decaling is next...

Hi all, decaling is almost done, I just need to put on the mission markings that go between the colored stripes and the RIO's re-enforcement plate which I'm waiting to turn up in the mail. Weathering of the fuselage is complete, but I still need to paint the Weapons Pallets. I had to strip them and let them air dry for a couple of days. Still got a few things to do but it's getting there.

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

Another update soon....

Thanks Check Six, I know the Hasegawa and Academy kits don't have them, not sure about the HobbyBoss kit. I got mine from the Avionix F-14B Deluxe set. Don't know of any other AM company that makes them, the Avionix ones are quite nice.

Thanks Check Six, I know the Hasegawa and Academy kits don't have them, not sure about the HobbyBoss kit. I got mine from the Avionix F-14B Deluxe set. Don't know of any other AM company that makes them, the Avionix ones are quite nice.

Ah; Thanks for the tip!

Mike,

An outstanding build for sure. Your PE work is near on perfect. I'm particularly impressed with your weathering/fading of the paint. Came out much more realistic then my F-4B that I did with my airbrush. Looking forward to seeing the finished Cat.

Joel

Mike,

An outstanding build for sure. Your PE work is near on perfect. I'm particularly impressed with your weathering/fading of the paint. Came out much more realistic then my F-4B that I did with my airbrush. Looking forward to seeing the finished Cat.

Joel

Thanks Joel, just need to decal the vertical stabilizers. Then I'll take a couple of pics of them and the exhaust nozzles with their scratchbuilt covers.

Holy Toledo; Your Tomcat is looking great 70.gif !

Thanks Check Six, I'm waiting for the RIO's re-enforcement plate to turn up in the mail one day next week I hope, then I can put that on. I wasn't happy with the one that I already put on, then I can go and put the mission markings on, then give her a flat coat. In the mean time I need to do the undercarriage, air intake covers and work out the loadout. :unsure: