1/72 aircraft questions

Hello to all: I´d like to know wich are the best kits for these aircrafts.....

All in 1/72 sclae

B-17G and F

B-24D and J

B-29 in all its variants

Neptune P-2

Orion P-3

Hercules C-130

Thank you very much.

:salute:

B-17 - The old Hasegawa kits are still the most accurate

B-24 - Hasegawa hands down

B-29 - Academy

P-2 - there is only one kit - Hasegawa

P-3 - ditto above

C-130 - We're still waiting for an accurate 1/72 C-130. Meantime, Italeri with all its (many) warts

For the B-17, you basically have three choices: Hasegawa, Academy and Revell.

As Jennings says, Hasegawa is probably the most accurate in shape. The only real drawback is that it has raised panel lines, but some people feel that is actually more realistic because the B-17's skin was made up of lapped sheet metal panels. Hasegawa also offers the least internal detail and no option for an open bomb bay.

The Academy kits are quite nice, and feature engraved panel lines and an open bomb bay option. However they have a few issues (excessive wing dihedral, missing wing intakes, and a few others) which can be rectified with a bit of work.

The Revell (of Germany) B-17s are the newest, and by far the most detailed, but suffer from some serious and incurable dimensional errors (most notable the wings, which are noticeably too thick.) The panel lines have also been criticized for being too heavy, and I personally find the detail lacking in finesse.

For the B-24, I agree that Hasegawa is by far the best, but also extremely expensive. The Minicraft Liberators are still decent, although the engine cowls are seriously undersized.

The only B-29s in 1/72 are Academy and Airfix. The Airfix kit is pretty crude by today's standards, with moving control surfaces and other "toy-like" features that were all the rage in the '60s when it came out. The Academy kit is a product of the '90s, and still a very nice kit with a full interior.

I don't really know much about the postwar types.

SN

Jennings and Steve have pretty well covered it. There is really no choice on the 3 "modern" types and some choice as to the 17's and 24's. Don't have a 29 kit but the reviews go with the Academy.

Your only choices for the B-29 are the ancient (ca. 1963) Airfix kit, covered with Titanic sized rivets and made up of about 12 million parts, or the Academy kit.

B-17 - The old Hasegawa kits are still the most accurate

B-24 - Hasegawa hands down

B-29 - Academy

P-2 - there is only one kit - Hasegawa

P-3 - ditto above

C-130 - We're still waiting for an accurate 1/72 C-130. Meantime, Italeri with all its (many) warts

I'll take the Adcademy or the Revell anyday of the week over the Hasegawa. Even the Monogram is better when it comes to a B17G or B17F. Yet none are perfect. The Hasegawa is better than the Adcademy B24, but the Academt-Minnecraft is also less than half the price and comes in more variations like the B17. I have the Hasegawa B17 and B24's, and as much as I like their B24, I think its worth about half the price compared to the others. The B17 is a joke on a good day

gary

For the B-17, you basically have three choices: Hasegawa, Academy and Revell.

As Jennings says, Hasegawa is probably the most accurate in shape. The only real drawback is that it has raised panel lines, but some people feel that is actually more realistic because the B-17's skin was made up of lapped sheet metal panels. Hasegawa also offers the least internal detail and no option for an open bomb bay.

The Academy kits are quite nice, and feature engraved panel lines and an open bomb bay option. However they have a few issues (excessive wing dihedral, missing wing intakes, and a few others) which can be rectified with a bit of work.

The Revell (of Germany) B-17s are the newest, and by far the most detailed, but suffer from some serious and incurable dimensional errors (most notable the wings, which are noticeably too thick.) The panel lines have also been criticized for being too heavy, and I personally find the detail lacking in finesse.

For the B-24, I agree that Hasegawa is by far the best, but also extremely expensive. The Minicraft Liberators are still decent, although the engine cowls are seriously undersized.

The only B-29s in 1/72 are Academy and Airfix. The Airfix kit is pretty crude by today's standards, with moving control surfaces and other "toy-like" features that were all the rage in the '60s when it came out. The Academy kit is a product of the '90s, and still a very nice kit with a full interior.

I don't really know much about the postwar types.

SN

98% of the builders will never notice the Revell wings, and thedy sure seem to win a lot of contests. Somebody does cowls for the B24 kits and Quickboost sells an engine set for the Hasegawa that fits the Academy better yet.

gary

Each to their own I guess, but I happen to like the Hasegawa B-17 kit. It builds up fairly easy, the raised panel lines don't bother me (I personally like them on a 17), interior detail in the waist gunners position is quite nice, cockpit is sparse but the essentials are there and with aftermarket materials you can go to town if you choose. I wouldn't call it a joke myself. Keep your eyes open on EvilBay, model shows, or online model "sell/trade" forums and you can get the Hasegawa B-17 for cheap.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:

Monogram's B-17G is 1/48, as is Revell's F.

The new Revell Germany 1/72 G is rife with problems, far more than just the wings.

there's a 1/72 scale kit from Monogram as well. I see them all the time in Hobby Shops. Most are "f's". But seems like I've seen some "g's". Personally I like the Academy kits due to the range they have selected to kit (b thru G). Their B24 is not one fourth as bad as some folks think. Just needs some after market here and there. I like the Hasegawa, and own two or three of the kits. I wish Zvezda would tackle the B24 bomber!

gary

The B-24 has been pretty well served in 1/72. Hasegawa's kits are gorgeous, although the D has the wrong tail turret, and we still need a proper "Ford Nose" H-model. The Academy Liberators are still quite buildable as well. They've got a few issues, and less detail than the Hasegawa kits, but can usually be found for a third the price.

there's a 1/72 scale (B-17) kit from Monogram as well. I see them all the time in Hobby Shops. Most are "f's". But seems like I've seen some "g's".

I think the new Revell AG (Revell of Germany) B-17s have been released in the States under the Monogram "Pro Modeler" label..at least the G anyway. It's the same plastic with the same problems.

The only 1/72 Fort originally made by Revell USA is the old 1962 vintage rivet monster. I built one as a "nostalgia build" for fun a few years ago, but it's not even remotely a serious model.

Sadly, I'm still waiting for a "definitive" B-17 in 1/72. I had high hopes for the Revell AG kit, but it left me decidedly underwhelmed. Even before I learned about the dimensional problems, the kit just struck me as lacking in the "finesse" I would expect from a modern new-tool kit, particularly as Revell AG have proven they can do much better (their recent 1/72 Ju-88 is simply stunning.)

As for the Hasegawa kit, I don't know why it comes in for so much trash-talk. It may be old, but it's far from a "joke." It's still probably the most accurate overall, and builds up quite well. The only real thing that keeps it from being up to modern standards is the raised panel lines, but as has been said many times that's mostly a matter of personal preference. The engraved panel lines and open bomb bay option are the only real advantage of the Academy B-17s, and even then they still need a few "tweaks" to get right. I'd love to see a new-tool B-17 from Hasegawa, but unfortunately it would probably cost as much as their B-24s.

SN

I´d like to thenk to all my fellow modelers for their time, patience and precise explanatons. I´ll follow your advicees as I´m more a 1/48 scale modeler, but these planes are monsters in that scale, and I haven´t got many space left in at home, so I will sell my 1/48 ones, for the 1/72 ones.

Best regards to all

Juan

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

The Airfix '29 is from more like '68 and its biggest drawback is shared in common with later 72nd and 48th scale kits. That fault is the cockpit canopy. getting the windows to look framed flush and as a part of the plane is a masterful modeling trick few have accomplished. Moreover the pilot and co-piolt have a flat, armored window recessed in front of them outside ( apart from the instrument panel ones inside). Added to that the sliding panel and the canopy Iis rarely modeled with the character of the Boeing. Otherwise, aftermarket-up some treaded tires and quickly downplay the rivet pattern, you get a respectable Superfort from the Airfix.

The best 72nd scale B-17 is hands down far and away the Matchbox. Change out the wings with Hasegawa ones and thatis the best you can get. Tthose anamored with the Hasagawa are fooled. The wing is in the wrong place, the cockpit is too and following from that error so is the top turret. The whole upper decking is wrong (short) to get the kit on spec by the aft end of the radio room. this assesment was made by offical station drawings however it is obvious to a trained eye that has not been convienced throug familiarity to believe the Hasegawa shape.

The Academy B-24 are good for parts only. If you don t want to pay the hasegawa price for a Lib' the 64 Revell kit comes in second. Correctly assembled it has been demonstrated by builders to be far from the toy the uninitiated claim it to be.

Hasegawa B-17 has the best looking wings. New tooled revells have the best interior and the ONLY gear well of any B-17 kit bar the 1/32 one. The revell F does exist as I held one in my hands a couple weeks ago. Costs about 45$ though so I took a pass. The academy builds up nicely and the wing dihedral is easily fixed. I've built them all and have all three sitting on the shelf right next to each other. They all look like B-17s and I have several of each in the stash still.

Academy B-29s are very nice.

Not sure on B-24 but have always heard hasegawa.