KItty Hawk 1/48 F-101A Voodoo - A non-partisan build.

So, as I mentioned yesterday, I've done some pre-shading to the plane in anticipation of applying ADC Grey to the fuselage panels as seen in some of the pics provided by bentwaters81tfw and some online as well. Rather than do one of the brightly colored -101s provided on the kit decals, I'm going with an older bird sent to the Nevada ANG for transition training. It's still a NMF plane, but with the painted panels, and it will be slightly weathered to show it's age. So in spite of the humidity here, I've applied the ADC grey this morning:

75d00b4bf772392d899f33fa83c07f6c.jpg

09a32c9b06b944bcd4422e672fdb9636.jpg

You can see that in spite of what I said yesterday, I re-puttied the area of those stupid refueling probe doors, and I will prime and paint again. The closest green I had for the anti-glare panel was Model Master Dark Green 34096 (the instructions call for 34102). Good enough for me, and when I finally redo it, I think it will look fine. After I finished painting the ADC grey, I see spots where the brush spit a little. Not an issue- I will sand lightly when dry. To cope with the humidity, I will store the fuselage in my air conditioned bedroom and hopefully the paint will dry in a timely manner.

I've still received no response from Kitty Hawk regarding the canopy, so I am pressing forwards with the cracked one. It received a multiple dip in Future, and it's now masked for painting. I plan on adding the insert piece B43 while still masked in the hope that it will reinforce the canopy. While the paint dries, I will be turning my attention to the landing gear. I don't normally detail them out, but on this one I'm going to see what I can do.

And in closing, my almost-complete crew chief:

0c82ff150eb0923c7d8ecdaa0f631ed2.jpg

I'm not much of a figure painter. I plan on giving him a coat of Future and some light wash to bring out the details in his face and shirt. Thanks for looking!

John,

The humidity has been insane. Thankfully the weather is supposed to break today. It's days like this that my wife and I are positive that the two biggest upgrades we did to the house was a state of the art oil boiler, and Central Air. Before we got the central air, we lived in the bedroom where the only A/C was. And yes, it costs more to run, but we just didn't buy a house to freeze to death in the winter, and roast to death in the summer. I still think it's too cold in the winter, but she always over rules me.

I checked out the two FS Greens, and yours is actually a shade darker. No big deal. If it bothers you just add a few drops of yellow to your paint cup.

Joel

Beautiful aircraft with such great lines. The Voodoo and the Phantom are two aircraft that I really miss seeing...and hearing...in the skies today. I have been so back and forth with this kit. Following your build has been highly informative. Everything looks great so far :thumbsup: ! Please keep us informed.

:cheers:

Don.

Today's update is actual progress. I had filled and re-sanded the upper nose area, and I applied a new coat of green with great results. It was worth it to fix my mistakes. After repainting the anti-glare panel, I masked off the ADC grey fuselage panels with Tamiya tape:

82201610d8fd3c8bc6e6e27c18cb351f.jpg

89e2e9bd6c8677af01606dc4645af66e.jpg

I'm quite happy with the plane to date. I've also installed the instrument panel in anticipation of installing the windscreen. Here's a look at the completed cockpit:

39451b7729854708271b75849d253c0b.jpg

The IP snapped into place, secured with some CA at the base. I'm no fan of the decals, and I think Kitty Hawk could have done a little more work here considering their partnership with Detail and Scale. Nonetheless, it's done and it's in. I've also installed the canopy insert on the inside of the canopy with crystal cement. No pics yet, but it did fit well. Last thing I did was cementing the main gear tire halves. The fit is poor, and will require some putty. With any luck, tomorrow will include painting the fuselage with Aluminum. Thanks for looking!

John,

Nice redue on the anti glare panel. It's world's better then before. Glad you decided to rectify it. As for the IP, those kit decals are a throwback to the 70s. Just no detail what so ever. Still, for a display model, hardly anyone will ever see it, but it's something what would just bother me to no end.

Joel

John,

Nice redue on the anti glare panel. It's world's better then before. Glad you decided to rectify it. As for the IP, those kit decals are a throwback to the 70s. Just no detail what so ever. Still, for a display model, hardly anyone will ever see it, but it's something what would just bother me to no end.

Joel

Couldn't agree more Joel. To date, it's the biggest shortcoming of the kit. The only cockpit items with dimension are the throttle and the joystick. Thanks for the compliments Don and Joel! I'm really hoping for a distinctive Voodoo, as opposed to the colorful tails seen from the kit decals. I'm just going to have to get a decent NMF paint job.

John,

Go to Bobby's and buy Alcad IIs. All you really need is Aluminum, and dark aluminum. If you want a 3rd panel color go for the white aluminum. I used Steel and Magnesium for the exhausts on my F-4B. For a base coat use their Gloss Black. It's enamel based, not lacquer based and pre-thinned. It's the best base color paint I've ever used. I use 15 psi for the base color, and 12-10 psi for the Alcad's. Mist coats is all that is necessary. Less is better. You can decal right on top of the Alcads or seal with their Gloss Kleer Kote. It works great over Tamiya paints as well. Again, no thinning is needed. Alcad has a great web site with tutorials and Videos. The system is really very easy to use.

Joel

Nice work You are doing a great job. I am in the decalling stage and am Also working on the Monogram F-101B at the same time for a comparative article. I rescribed the F-101B and it is drying in the paint shop (48-72 hours with my enamels) awaiting decals.

The KH kits isnt bad it is one kits that you will build better the second time around to avoid the fist run problems/pitfalls. IT doesnt fall together but overall a nice kit. No harder than Special hobby or Sword kit but with nicer tooled parts!

I am glad you can use those deals I sent you from Almark ...Looking forward to seeing your bird!

Steve

VOODOO1_zps98ee1b49.jpg

VOODOO2_zps201290f3.jpg

VOODOO3_zpsf6c4f671.jpg

Edited by scorvi

Joel- I've heard and read about Alclad, but I've got a ton of the metallizer paints from Testors already. Once I run out I will probably transition to Alclad.

Scorvi- thanks again for the decals! Definitely inspired a different look.

Sebastijan- thanks! No reason to complain on my end- I'll leave that to the trolls. Is it a good kit? Well, yes. I agree with the idea that for the price we should expect more in terms of the cockpit and the oversized sprue gates. The decals (stencils more than anything) are lacking, and some of the stuff like the open fuel probe doors are just poorly planned. I still like the kit.

This afternoon I painted the black on the nose, so tomorrow I'll mask it and hit the plane with Aluminum. Thanks for looking!

Scorvi,

Nicely built F-101A. Interested in how you did your NMF.

Joel

Thanks

Allclad Alumninum & Jet Exhaust (shades-mix). I always clearcoat with a gloss over the primer before I use any natural metal finish

Steve,

Finally! Major progress to discuss...

900c10d4007fc0ac233c049f3690e55c.jpg

It's starting to look a hell of a lot like an F-101! After much masking and swanning about, I gave the plane and it's doors, flaps, etc a coat of Testors Aluminum for airbrushes. It's not a bad paint to use, and it dries quickly. Here's the bottom as well:

9eb9be5a033e2c5fe4cfb9cd0aa17383.jpg

The only things affecting the finish (NMF is a cruel mistress) seem to be anyplace where solvents had dried on top of the primer coat. Other than that, I'm very happy with it. I will let it cure for the weekend, and the next step will be to paint the exhaust areas under the rear fuselage a darker "burned" color. I've got some ideas for that.

An area of the kit that has been a problem for me is the horizontal stabilizers. Each one has a tab that fits into the tail, but the tabs are too big for the holes. I'm sure when they planned it they probably fit like a glove, but now they needed sanding to fit. Since I attached them, I have had nothing but problems with the starboard one, and that area had to be reinforced with CA, and now I have some touch up work to do back there. Ugh. My own fault. Aside from that, the only really annoying part lately is the main gear tires. Here they are:

f11935b36581e97a1f428618d1670ba0.jpg

The tire halves went together just fine, but one is left with a depression in the center of the tread area, hence the filler. I have also found some more sink marks in the speed brakes, even after I filled and sanded twice. I'm not going back to that again, I'm just not entering this in any contests to sweat it. I've also noticed very slight depressions in the main gear doors which follow the interior bracing of the doors. Still a major complaint for a kit of this price - too many sink marks. So next is the lower rear fuselage, then touch ups. Next big step will be getting the whole thing a nice coat of Future to seal it up after I'm get the touch ups done to my satisfaction.

I would really like to hear any observations/critiques of my build to this point. This has been a real learning build for me. I've been much more attentive to fit and finish on this one than on most of my previous builds, and I really like what I've got to this point. Thanks for looking!

John

scorvi

Thanks

Allclad Alumninum & Jet Exhaust (shades-mix). I always clearcoat with a gloss over the primer before I use any natural metal finish

Steve,

Steve,

That's very interesting. I use almost strictly Alcad metalizers, and I prime with their Black Gloss, which is enamel based. I give it a few days to dry, then I lightly polish it with 4,000 through 12,000 pads. The gloss is already fairly smooth before I start to polish, and I usually end up with a glass like surface. Depending on the type of finish I'm looking for on my NMF, is how deep of a shine the primer gets.

Joel

John,

the NMF with the gray spline really looks quite nice. I feel your pain with the split tire issue. Usually it costs me most of the tire tread pattern trying to remove those nasty seams.

Joel

Hey guys I guess they are bashing the new Kittyhawk Cougar already? AS bad as this Voodoo they say--

http://imodeler.com/2014/07/a-word-to-the-wise/

I ordered one already and will have it in my hands next week. I take everything everyone is saying with a grain of salt on the KH kits.

My Voodoo is coming to finish line and I think the Monogram and KH kits are about dead even on fit and build ability....I try not to be a negative Nancy. You know the Haseagwa 1/48 F-8 Crusader has a major flaw in the canopy if ones wants to display it open...takes some careful cutting to get it right and I dont hear very much negative about that kit-I guess Hasegawa is untouchable-LOL. I am just plain crazy sicne I build 1/72 MAch-2 kits too!!!

Steve,

Steve- I understand some of the general complaints, but the trolls on ARC take it to new levels. A majority of the folks complaining don't even own the kit. And based on his comments, I'm just confused. He says not one part fit and he stomped on it and threw it out. Wow. Then he emails the company to complain and in my opinion winds up coming off as completely immature. Once he complains, others follow online, using his build to justify all of the fist pumping about how bad Kitty Hawk kits are. It's actually one of the most enjoyable builds I've done in recent times. Nothing here that can't be dealt with, even by my skill level. I am looking forward to their -B model when it comes out. Please post pics of your finished Voodoo when you're done!

John

Edited by jgrease

Steve- I understand some of the general complaints, but the trolls on ARC take it to new levels. A majority of the folks complaining don't even own the kit. And based on his comments, I'm just confused. He says not one part fit and he stomped on it and threw it out. Wow. Then he emails the company to complain and in my opinion winds up coming off as completely immature. Once he complains, others follow online, using his build to justify all of the fist pumping about how bad Kitty Hawk kits are. It's actually one of the most enjoyable builds I've done in recent times. Nothing here that can't be dealt with, even by my skill level. I am looking forward to their -B model when it comes out. Please post pics of your finished Voodoo when you're done!

John

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, SO WELL SAID.

I would suggest that with his patience (?) level that he switch to die cast. Pre-built self satisfaction without any "work".

OUTSTANDING

Frank C......

Let me say straight out, that I don't care about 99% of these rivet counters assessments of released or not even released kits. How Tom Cleaver can say that the Cougar isn't even buildable, and tossed his sample kit when there are several built up pre-production models posted on various sites, some even painted and decaled is just beyond simple comprehension. I have no doubt that these Kitty Hawk kits have some issues, but I'm also sure that they can be built up into a nice display model. Personally, I'm purchasing both Cougars and the Panther.

Joel

Good Monday Morning! Well, after leaving the Voodoo to dry over the weekend, I got to work ASAP on the next item- the tail/rear fuselage/exhaust area. After masking off the relevant areas, I sprayed a coat of Testors Magnesium for airbrushes. It wasn't quite the contrast I wanted, but I think it's subtle:

b02af2032a10ecb139d9c1b6153fbace.jpg

In the photo above, the magnesium is the lower portion, under the speed brake area and to the right of it. You can see the contrast in the panel just to the right of the speed brake bay. Works for me.

Next, I applied very light coats of Testors Burnt Iron in the area affected by the exhaust:

aeea0f901238bababc5637222db4a472.jpg

I'm very happy with the effect, but please chime in and let me know if it looks too over the top. So all of the tape is off the plane (except the canopy), and this is where I'm at as of now:

48350b1bb97f635ef4e81b2fcb9c2bf3.jpg

There are blemishes in the Aluminum finish, but it don't see how to get rid of them short of a complete repainting. I think that after a coat of Future and some decals and a little wash, everything will look a lot better. I think my next step will be said Future coat.

I've also sanded and painted the tires, and after they dry, I will paint the rims and dry brush them a bit to look used. Please let me know what you all think. I'm very happy with this build so far. Like I've said in the past, this is one of the few builds where I've actually tried to be as neat as possible, and try to get the best fit and finish possible. Thanks for looking!

John

I think you are doing a fine job of this Voodoo (which I will be buying soon). You seem to have the same attitude as I, enjoying the 'challenges' and not simply moaning about them. I'm certain that this will look the part when you are done.

Interesting how doing it all in public (and greatly magnified by your photography) has encouraged you to raise your game a little. I'll try that as soon as I feel a bit less of a newb here!