Academy 1:48 F-111F Aardvark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates? Looking forward to this build!!

haven't touched it in a long time as I built the FineMolds X-wing and went to Dominican Republic for a bit. But I'm back ..

here's the kit pylons with Verlinden missile rails. The F-111C boxing included new sway braces for the pylons but no missile rails.

skubg3.jpg

Benner,

Glad you're back at the Bench. I too was wondering what happened to your incrediable build.

Joel

my motivation disappears with builds that take a long time :)

Glued the coaming on which was a pain. Am cutting up the canopy now so I can position the doors open.

otq15y.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this build of a beautiful a/c biggrin.gif ?

Haven't spent any significant time with this build. I moved on to build 3 Star Wars kits instead. Did a tiny bit of work since the last pic, I still have to cut the other door on the canopy.

As for progress, I've scratch built two heat exchangers for the underside; they are the ones in white. The other two are from the academy F-111E boxing. Partially assembled a couple of GBU-24s and puttied the rear fins so there is a smooth join.

23ifnkz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the main airframe is ready for paint.. fin has been glued on as has the metal pitot tube.

oumry9.jpg

I still have smaller parts to work on before I will start painting. Like the bomb bay doors, Pave Tack pod, burner cans ... etc.

Here are the burner cans, Paragon F-111F exhausts on the left and the kit parts on the right. The Paragon parts had a few small bubbles that had to be filled.

jb1nad.jpg

Edited by Benner
  • 1 month later...

This is what comes with the flight path Pavetack pod

DSC04617.jpg

Something else to be aware of is the kids gear is moulded as if there was no air in the strut making the noise of the aircraft sit low. You can fix this by cutting the gear at the point shown here..

13copy.jpg

That's what I did amongst other things here in my build..

IMG_2413.jpg

I hope you don't mind me coming in here Benner... I'll stop if you want me to

The nose strut compression is a function of how much weight is in the aircraft; typically if a F-111 is fully fueled, the nose strut will be compressed, but if it is light on fuel, the nose strut is extended. F-111's sitting on the ramp can be found in various states, so, if the aircraft is light, the nose strut will be extended. If it has weight (either fuel, or ordnance, or both) the strut will be compressed accordingly. I worked avionics on the F-111A for three years, and I had to open a lot of radomes. If the plane had fuel and was sitting low in the nose, I could open the radome by myself by putting my back under it (to prevent sagging when it came off the pins, then pulling straight forward. If the aircraft was sitting high, I needed a second person to help out.

Edited by Marv

Put some brown paint on ..

2rr52l4.jpg

This is a terrific project! You're getting me revved up to do an F, especially since El Dorado Canyon's 30th anniversary is next spring (that long, really??). Really nice work, beautiful!

So...I'm guessing this will be an Australian 'Vark? :lol: (sorry, I just had to ask with the photo reversed...)

:cheers:

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

This is a terrific project! You're getting me revved up to do an F, especially since El Dorado Canyon's 30th anniversary is next spring (that long, really??). Really nice work, beautiful!

Wow; That's a good point.

I can't believe it'll be 30 years next year!

I remember that mission almost like it was yesterday.

Painting away still ... gonna do some fix ups with the brown and then spray the black on.

I can't upload decent pics because my computer went down and i haven't bothered to fix it. So .. phone pics it is

zn7gb9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...