Air New Zuuland 787 "dreamliner"

Hi guys

I know I haven't posted much here lately, but, on my recent trip back home to New Zealand, I was at Christchurch airport when I saw a 737 in the newish Air New Zealand scheme in black and white. I was taken back at how striking it was - even the wife liked it! So, I did a quick Google search on the aircraft ANZ have and I saw the 787 in this scheme and loved it. Now, I am not a huge fan of the nose of the 787 but I don't hate it either, so when I got back to Oz, I bought the Revell boxing of the 787

Upon opening the box and having a look inside, I was surprised at how lacking in detail it was - no cockpit, no wheel well cabling and faint panel lines. Mind you, this hasn't stopped me from adding a few bits of wiring here and there and I even took the cockpit out of my recently trashed A330 and stuck it in the 787. Yeah, I know - that's very wrong - it's not even the same manufacturer, but it needed something in there - not a black hole. Ha! As it turns out, you can't really see much in there anyway, but I know there's something in there ;)

So, I bought a set of decals from Old Model Decals in NZ and even though they're made for a 787-9, they still fit OK. The ANZ 787's are the 9 variant, but I wasn't about to go through the process of buying another 787 kit just to add a couple of inches. I just wanted a 787 with that scheme! The decals are good - a little bit thin, but never the less comprehensive and they sit well with minimal decal solution. He has gone to digital decals now and they are so much better than the old ink jet ones he has. No clear over spray required! Great :D

The body was painted with Tamiya rattle cans and the wings with MM Enamel "light Grey"

Anyway, this was just a quick fun build and nothing serious. Me and airliners have never been great mates and I doubt we ever will, but this has sated my appetite for a while. It's way better than that A330 I did a year or so ago!

IMG_9878_zps714eda1e.jpg

IMG_9875_zps9b1faff1.jpg

IMG_9915_zps14cc71fd.jpg

IMG_9921_zps82e93a4c.jpg

IMG_9929_zps5c2f4b42.jpg

IMG_9928_zps9374e694.jpg

IMG_9935_zpsc48e8b3f.jpg

IMG_9924_zps971b1c45.jpg

IMG_9925_zpsfd41400e.jpg

Please excuse the not so great photography. I took them late at night and I don't have great lights to work with. At least they're in focus and not taken with an iPhone....

I need to get back to work on the new SBY 2199 ship I recently started and I even bought the huge "Domelaze" which will be built in an online GB toward the end of Feb

Anyways, thanks for stopping by and having a look.

MH

Beautiful markings and a truly incandescent model!

Looking at modern airliners with those hoooo-mungous 'dustbin' engine nacelles, it always worries me that they seem perilously close to the ground...somehow, they never actually get whacked on touch-down, but how...?! :woot.gif:

Very nice model! I like the livery. The engines hang very close to the ground indeed, they did not end up this low on my model. Did you attach the pylons properly? (stupid question maybe).

The 737 in the new livery that you saw must have been an A320. Here's mine:

oxb3_zps9bcc611c.jpg

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

That's nice! But I did see a couple of ANZ 737-800s in this scheme. Most of their aircraft seem to be painted like this now. Can't say as that I blame them - stick with something good while you've got it

As for the engines - No, not a dumb question and yes - they do seem very low and I have attached them as best I could following the instructions and by general fit (they only fit one way) - so I would say ..... I..... have no idea! :D Just bad luck

I also noticed (way to late) that the airline name is skewed - I'll have to live with it. Maybe I need glasses - or just not drink while decalling.

I also have taken some better pictures (I think...) this morning while I had the camera out:

IMG_0033_zpscc5b383f.jpg

IMG_0035_zps1b4e1ac3.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsa8b31a63.jpg

IMG_0038_zps986cf30e.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsd8c89e8e.jpg

IMG_0045_zps5e0030ab.jpg

thanks again everyone

MH

That's nice! But I did see a couple of ANZ 737-800s in this scheme.

I don't mean to be a know-it-all but ANZ does not fly 737's anymore and they never had 737-800's. Their short haul fleet consists of A320's only, but they are equipped with large 737-style winglets ('sharklets') which might have caused some confusion.

Nevertheless- nice new photos. If you ever build another 787 in a non-fictional livery keep in mind that they all have white painted wings, not grey as on most airliners.

Damn it, they are white. I was having a massive internal argument with myself about the wings being white and the grey won out by a small margin which was apparent color variation in a lot of photos I looked at.

Never mind. Something to store away for future reference.

However, it was definitely a 737 I saw in this scheme. Maybe not an 800 variant but it was definitely a 737.

Damn it, they are white. I was having a massive internal argument with myself about the wings being white and the grey won out by a small margin which was apparent color variation in a lot of photos I looked at.

Well I wouldn't worry too much, it's a what-if anyway. And to be honest, I like it more with light grey wings!

However, it was definitely a 737 I saw in this scheme. Maybe not an 800 variant but it was definitely a 737.

You got me very curious now! :) I can't find a single photo of a 737 in the newest livery. If only your eyes had a replay-mode :rolleyes:

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman