I'm moving to the Pax River area in a week or so. Anyone have good info on the area? Any fellow modelers? Any hobby stores? Any neighborhoods I should avoid? Anyone want to show me their secret fishing spot? :woot.gif: Should be an interesting move, but it's for the better.

Yeah, I live in the Pax River area. Hollywood specifically just up the road (Rt 235) from the base. I assume you're taking a job on the base?

We have a fairly large model club, made up mostly of aircraft modelers but a few armor, auto and ship guys too. Most of us are Retired or Active duty military, engineers, aircraft mechanics, pilots, aircrew. Most of us have stuck around or ended up here because of the Gov't and contractor gigs here supporting Naval Aviation. We meet at the Pax River air museum, third Thursday of the month at 1900. We're not an IPMS club, no dues, no real formalities. Good bunch of guys.

There are no hobby shops in the immediate area. Closest ones are about an hour and a half/2 hrs away...so mail order city. One of our club guys compiles a list of items from folks and places orders so that shipping cost is spread out or free if over a certain amount.

Neighborhoods to avoid...Lexington Park/Great Mills Rd area...especially after dark. There are a good mix of neighborhoods to live in or if you want, you can be out in the country with neighbors at a good distance away.

I don't fish but there's plenty of that round here.

Welcome to Southern Maryland. Whitey pretty much nailed it. There's a bunch of us on here that live in the Pax area. Lex Park/Great Mills are pretty much the avoid areas, everything else has plusses/minuses and it just depends on what fits you. I live across the peninsula in Leonardtown, which is another "fleet concentration". Close enough to DC to take advantage of things there but none of the DC BS. Look forward to meeting you on the Thursdays!

Spongebob

Sweet! Whitey I will indeed be working on the air station. I got a job with Lockheed and I'm just waiting to finalize everything here before I punch out of Yuma. Hopefully the 4 day drive in a UHaul with the family and mother-in-law (God help me) won't drive me to drink myself stupid. Thanks for the info, I'll keep in touch.

Neighborhoods to avoid...Lexington Park/Great Mills Rd area...especially after dark. There are a good mix of neighborhoods to live in or if you want, you can be out in the country with neighbors at a good distance away.

Agree, but not all areas of Lexington Park are bad. I've lived south of the base off willows road for going on 4 years in a very good neighborhood. 5 min drive to base, avoids all the traffic at rush hour (aka the Pax 500), and housing prices that start $20,000 less than Hollywood.

Agree, but not all areas of Lexington Park are bad. I've lived south of the base off willows road for going on 4 years in a very good neighborhood. 5 min drive to base, avoids all the traffic at rush hour (aka the Pax 500), and housing prices that start $20,000 less than Hollywood.

Yeah I live in Lexington Park too. Not really that bad and there is a lot less traffic. But Whitey basically summed it all up. Here is a link to our clubs page and you can also search us out on face book. Just search Southern Maryland Scale Modelers.

Club Link

Welcome to the area.

Right, I should amend that. Lex Park in the area of Great Mills Rd ain't the best but there are some nice neighborhoods in Lexington Park and south of the base and you do avoid the traffic. Especially if you're working Lockheed, you can access Gate 3 and be to work pretty quick.

Travel safe. Cheers!

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon...lol.

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/242792/another-armed-robbery-reported-in-lexington-park/#comment-147768

Edited by 82Whitey51

One thing to remember about being south of Lex Park - you're on the opposite side of town from just about EVERYTHING. Any shopping, groceries, etc. is either in Lexington Park or north of it. Not pro or con, just something to be aware of.

Where you choose may be dependent upon how picky you are about schools. Like anywhere else, some are better than others. Our experience has been that Hollywood Elementary, Leonardtown Middle and Leonardtown High School are decent. I have no experience with any other schools in the county so can't offer comparisons. The Hollywood area is pretty decent (I live in the same neighborhood as Whitey) and the daily commute from here is about 20 minutes or so in the morning from my door to the Range on the far side of the base - I leave at about 6AM. Coming home is a bit longer; about 25-30 minutes as traffic is heavier coming home around 4 than when I go in.

Something to consider when choosing a neighborhood. You'll be working on the east side of the county, and there are a limited number of connections between RT 235 on the east side and Rt 5 on the west side of the county. If you choose a neighborhood on the Rt 5 side, realize that the Great Mills road/RT 5 intersection is MISERABLE in the afternoons. It's a poorly designed intersection, with heavy traffic coming out of the base onto Great Mills road and also heavy traffic coming north on Rt 5 that comes out of gate 3 from Pax and also from Webster Field/NESEA south of Lexington Park on the Rt 5 side.

All that said, welcome, and please join us on the 3rd Thursdays to talk models.

What are your opinions on lusby and Solomons area? I know crossing the bridge might suck when it ices up. I have seen plenty of houses available in that area too.

it's a nice area but the bridge can be a choke point. One accident and you may as well eat dinner at work. Personally I avoided Solomons due to traffic, but friends I have on the other side are happy living there. Although most either leave before 1600 or after 1730.

When I first moved here I rented a 3 bedroom townhouse off of chancellors run road. It was a short commute and decent area. Close to shopping and restaurants. Rent was around $1300/MO if I recall.

If you are going to be here for a while you might consider renting for a year or so to get to know the area.

Edited by graves_09

it's a nice area but the bridge can be a choke point. One accident and you may as well eat dinner at work. Personally I avoided Solomons due to traffic, but friends I have on the other side are happy living there. Although most either leave before 1600 or after 1730.

When I first moved here I rented a 3 bedroom townhouse off of chancellors run road. It was a short commute and decent area. Close to shopping and restaurants. Rent was around $1300/MO if I recall.

If you are going to be here for a while you might consider renting for a year or so to get to know the area.

Hey-

I live across the bridge. It's not too bad most days, but I agree that it's better to work early hours. Some days though it just backs up for no apparent reason. The are plenty of nice neighborhoods and I like living closer to DC and Annapolis. Plus the schools are pretty good in Calvert for the most part.

Phil

At this point I think any school will be good. Arizona is 49th in the nation for education. On that note my son goes to one of the best charter schools, 6th in the state if I remember correctly. One more question, how many of the guys in the club have wives? My wife is in need of some friends and since I've got modeling and ARC I'm a leg up.

At this point I think any school will be good. Arizona is 49th in the nation for education. On that note my son goes to one of the best charter schools, 6th in the state if I remember correctly. One more question, how many of the guys in the club have wives? My wife is in need of some friends and since I've got modeling and ARC I'm a leg up.

I'd say more than half of the members are married...basic modeler demographic, 40+ y/o married white guys.

My wife's an ER nurse so she's more devoid of a social life than most.

That might end poorly for those dudes...judging by the folks that work there it could be an Al Qaeda observation post...

Haaaa...no doubt.

One of these mornings a squad of them is going to come storming out of there and open up on all that jammed up gate traffic.

Sweet! Whitey I will indeed be working on the air station. I got a job with Lockheed and I'm just waiting to finalize everything here before I punch out of Yuma. Hopefully the 4 day drive in a UHaul with the family and mother-in-law (God help me) won't drive me to drink myself stupid. Thanks for the info, I'll keep in touch.

Time to dust off some of that cold weather clothing. Congrats on the job :thumbsup:

Just live in DC!!!

Former resident and visitor to the Pax area from the great city to the North. I would avoid living across the bridge. Regardless...enjoy the morning and afternoon traffic. Pax River is a base that has grown too quickly for the surrounding area to keep up. "Generica" is what it has become....over there you have your Walmart, over there you Target, Oh Look.... there is your Olive Garden. I bought and sold in the Greenbrier development off of Hermanville Road, not bad...nice neighbors.

Great model club with excellent talent. There is even a monthly car pool from SOMD to NOVA to catch their meetings (not as entertaining as ours down there).

Looks like I will be in Pax this Thursday for all day meetings guys, look forward to catching the meeting.

Cheers

Collin

P.S: Never mention "Doug's".....Ahhhhh Doug's

Edited by Collin

Does anyone live near Piney Point? Found a great house down there with a modeling room already built into the garage!!!! It's a bit longer of a drive but I'm not scared. Today was my last day with Sikorsky at VMFT-401. Good times, good people. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and making new memories.

Does anyone live near Piney Point? Found a great house down there with a modeling room already built into the garage!!!! It's a bit longer of a drive but I'm not scared. Today was my last day with Sikorsky at VMFT-401. Good times, good people. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and making new memories.

It' pretty nice down that way. One of the wife and I favorite restaurants is down there, Ruddy Duck...good food and great beers.

The longer drive will pay off in peace and quiet.