MAKS 2015 Planning Thread

Hi dawestsides,

Due to the current political tension MAKS 2015 is a NO GO. It would be very hard to get a visa and Western visitors would not be welcome this time at the show. Sad that after decades of visiting the show it will not be part of my plans.

Good luck with your visit!

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor

I'm a little surprised by your comment. Are you referring to the show specifically, or visiting Russia in general? I just came back from a trip to Russia, and if anything, my visa was processed faster than usual and entry into the country went as smooth as ever. I think getting a visa took me about a week (and I chose the cheapest and slowest option they gave me). I have been to Russia at least once a year for the last 15 years or so, so I have a pretty good reference to go by.

Of course, I don't know what specific rules they will have for MAKS this year, but visiting Russia in the past few months has not given me any problems at all. I have not had a single negative experience with the locals either, despite having to use English occasionally when my Russian couldn't keep up anymore. It may be different for people traveling on US and UK passports, but I heard enough British and American accents around me on the last trip to make me believe even that is not too big of a hurdle. A friend of mine will leave soon on a business/official visit using a French passport, and he also had no problems with his arrangements (and he will go into some pretty secure areas).

Unfortunately, regardless of politics, I will miss MAKS this year as I have other business during that time. It will also be my first "miss" for quite a long time. I am very jealous of those that will make it. It has always been my favourite overseas airshow to attend.

Hi dawestsides,

Due to the current political tension MAKS 2015 is a NO GO.

Hi Gabor , are you sure about it ? If I'm not mistaken you're from Hungary and your country just recently signed a huge nuclear contract with Russia.And as far as I know they are still processing visas for westerners as pointed by Mfezi , though the application should be made in person because the russian visa is now biometric ( finger scans required ).

Hi dawestsides,

Due to the current political tension MAKS 2015 is a NO GO. It would be very hard to get a visa and Western visitors would not be welcome this time at the show. Sad that after decades of visiting the show it will not be part of my plans.

Good luck with your visit!

Best regards

Gabor

Is this something you know for a fact or just assuming? If it is the latter, i don't see the point of this post.

P-42 is rumored to be displayed at MAKS.

As far as I know no political views are welcome on ARC. And this is right as this is a hobby forum. So I would not like to go into more details about this question apart from what has been said so far.

Yes, Hungary did sign some “interesting” deals with Russia in the past year or so. I would not like to comment this either for the same reason as above. But if you read the news in detail then you could get a hint or two what is happening both here and in Russia.

As I said before good luck to all those who will visit MAKS.

Best regards

Gabor

Just to add to what Gabor stated above, over the last year there have been a number of changes in regulations regarding tourist visas to visit the Russian Federation. In addition to the biometric data requirements for the citizens of some countries (which is basically a bilateral move, depending on visa requirements of the second country), the old Soviet-era regulation has been reintroduced, which compels tourists to list all the municipalities they intend to visit on any given trip, along with an official invitation to visit each one. There have been similar regulations on the books for years, for instance regarding academic research trips, but they have never been enforced until now.

If you're simply going to visit the MAKS show ground (Zhukovskii airfield), your travel company would most probably take care of these new requirements for you. However, if you're planning on hiking around to the back of Zhukovskii or renting a boat on the Moscow River, this would seem to be a more questionable activity in the current political climate. Again, it's not necessarily the regulations themselves, but how they are interpreted and enforced by the authorities. Are you ready to explain in Russian to a local cop what you as a tourist are doing around the back of a sensitive military facility with a fancy camera and lens?

To give you an example of the new climate, check out what befell British PhD student Laura Sumner in Nizhny Novgorod last week, and other international students elsewhere in Russia over the last few months:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3023054/British-woman-thrown-Russia-spy-Nottingham-University-student-accused-gathering-information-coups-revolutions.html

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-western-scholars-alarmed-deportations/26929921.html

To quote the old corrupt Brazilian dictator Vargas: "For my friends, everything; for my enemies, the law!"

I will missing seeing my old Russian friends in Moscow this year, but I am giving MAKS a wide berth.

Just my opinion, of course. Your own mileage may vary.

Edited by Linden Hill

I travel on a South African passport, which has historically been a problem as I need a visa for just about every country that I regularly travel to (US, UK, most of Europe and Middle East). However, I am wondering whether the BRICS status of South Africa has for once eased things for me compared to other countries. It would probably be a first, as I was usually jealous of my friends having it so easy with their UK passports...

Just to add to what Gabor stated above, over the last year there have been a number of changes in regulations regarding tourist visas to visit the Russian Federation. In addition to the biometric data requirements for the citizens of some countries (which is basically a bilateral move, depending on visa requirements of the second country), the old Soviet-era regulation has been reintroduced, which compels tourists to list all the municipalities they intend to visit on any given trip, along with an official invitation to visit each one. There have been similar regulations on the books for years, for instance regarding academic research trips, but they have never been enforced until now.

As far as I recall they always asked you to state all the cities you plan to travel to. But as you say, maybe enforcement has become stricter. However, on my last trip (January of this year) I stated only Nizhniy Novgorod on my application, but I ended up staying in (and registering in) Cheboksari, Nizniy Novgorod and Moscow. As usual, the lady at passport control on the way out of the country barely glanced at the stamps on the back of my entry/exit card. I was a bit disappointed as I had gone through the effort of obtaining them and staying "legal". I have never been stopped by police or militia and asked for documentation in Russia, but I think the fact that I am always in Russian company and that I am able to speak Russian fairly well has helped me in that regard. A young male traveling by himself and speaking only English would probably tend to attract more suspicion.

I saw the machine for taking fingerprints at the visa application office, but they told me it was not required. So, once again, it could be a bilateral thing that only affect citizens from certain countries.

I always make sure I do my homework before I travel overseas. Even when I go somewhere regularly, I still make sure I check up on the rules since regulations change constantly. But I can state that in my experience, Russia has been one of the more pleasant countries to travel to, even in the current circumstances. The people who work at the visa application office have always been extremely helpful and friendly, and entering and exiting has always been easy (except for the lines that can be long, though I have experienced much longer in some countries). The fact that you have to register in each city where you stay for longer than a certain number of days is annoying. If you stay in a hotel, it is no problem as they usually do it for you, but if you travel on a homestay visa for example you have to go register along with your host which can take a while. They now allow you to do it at post offices, which I must say is much easier than standing in a long line at an OVIR office. And I have never encountered friendly staff at OVIR.

Ironically, for me personally the country that has given me the most hassle when it comes to visa applications and generally just unfriendly service both when entering and leaving has been the USA. However, I could just have caught them on a Monday morning or something (multiple times, apparently...)

My point is do your homework and try to get the actual facts from someone who really knows for sure, such as a tour operator or embassy staff directly. Based on my recent experience, I would have gone to MAKS this year without hesitation if it wasn't for the fact that I had other business during the same time. And yes, taking pictures at a military installation unless it is during an airshow or similar event and then only within the designated areas, is not a good idea anywhere in the world. A friend of mine got deported from what is usually regarded as a friendly and neutral Middle Eastern country for exactly that reason. If you think Russia is particularly strict in that regard, you should see what it is like in some African countries that I have been to. Just having a camera with you, never mind using it, can sometimes get you in trouble. At least in most African countries you can bribe yourself out of ending up in jail (or talk yourself out of it, but you have to know what you are doing), but that was another adventure again... Traveling anywhere that you are not familiar with has its risks so obviously do your homework and then decide whether it is worth it or not.

I guess it is just another "enforcement" campaign as it usually done in Russia. A higher official gives a command and police begin to run about until tired.

Also it might be a reactio to the recent sanctions which are regarded as injust by most of Russians.

But in general, I can just repeat said in the 2013 planning thread: severity of Russian laws is compensated by neglect in enforcement. Not much changed in this regard.

As for registration requirements, they're usually enforced in the big cities like Moscow, St. Petersburg, Nizhniy Novgorod and such and target population from former USSR Asian republics like Tajikistan and Uzbekistan or from the Caucasus region of Russia.

Actually sometimes foreign language is a good deterrent for Russian police. Couple of times I've been able to avoid beng fined for speeding just by presenting a foreign driving license with proper translation and speaking English(I do speak perfect Russian and have a Russian passport but did this for "experiment"). Most police officers there don't have a clue in foreign languages and just too lazy to deal with this.

YMMV though and "don't try this at home".:)

Ironically, for me personally the country that has given me the most hassle when it comes to visa applications and generally just unfriendly service both when entering and leaving has been the USA.

As an african myself :) I couldn't agree more : I have been denied a Schengen visa twice and the US application process is a lenghty one , but applying for a russian visa - at least in my case -was straight forward back in 2011 & 2013 : form + passport + voucher + 01 photo + $65USD....and that's it.

( now the russian embassy in Qatar is using the online application process but is not yet issuing the biometric visa )

• 3 months later...
Экспозиция будет представлена как минимум 9 самолетами. Впервые на МАКС-2015 будут представлены уникальные самолеты Ту-155 и МиГ 1.44. Кроме этого, организаторы покажут всеобщего любимца Ту-144,а также МиГ-25, МиГ-27, Су-15, ВМ-Т Атлант, Су-27 и Farman IV. В Ту-144 и Ту-155 будут организованы экскурсии!
The exposition will be represented by at least 9 aircraft. For the first time at the MAKS-2015 will feature unique Tu-155 and MiG 1.44. In addition, the organizers will show a universal favorite Tu-144 and MiG-25, MiG-27, Su-15, VM-T Atlant, Su-27 and Farman IV. The Tu-144 and Tu-155 will be organized tours!

https://www.facebook.com/maks2015russia?fref=nf

Oh.My.God ! :banana:

the organizers will show a universal favorite Tu-144 and MiG-25, MiG-27, Su-15, VM-T Atlant, Su-27 and Farman IV. The Tu-144 and Tu-155 will be organized tours!

I hope it will be a P/PD !

Edited by dawestsides

Tu-155.....

day1_125.JPG

Buran....

day1_124.JPG

MiG 1,44....

day1_055.JPG

The MiG-25 will probably be the PU that used to start the show back in the day....(on the left, next to the Tu-155)

day1_048.JPG

This is a collection of ex-LII airframes gathered inside a compound - with a view to creating a museum.

These are the ones being advertised as 'on show' I think.

I have a few more photos of the 'compound' - taken in 2011 - if you want to see them....

Enjoy your visit - those of you who are going - and take LOADS of photos.

Ken

PS - There are also some 'Gate Guards' on the entrance avenue that they could drag out and put on show....????

day1_001.JPG

Edited by Flankerman