RoG 1/48 Dassault Rafale B

Hi all,

Just finished this Rafale as part of the Tiger Meet Group Build. Totally OOB RoG. Great little kit and goes together well. Here is the WIP link <<Link>>.

This is the Armee de l'Air's EC 5/330 Cote d'Argent CEAM Rafale B that participated in the 2006 NATO Tiger Meet. Photos taken with my phone camera. Going to post some more from my proper camera later tonight. Hope you enjoy.

DSC_1167_zpsbuifiv0n.jpg

DSC_1169_zpsnobtwlag.jpg

DSC_1175_zpsqncesn2q.jpg

DSC_1176_zpsk4eitmyp.jpg

DSC_1177_zps1gniwgnr.jpg

DSC_1180_zpszf50hkzu.jpg

DSC_1181_zps3xn8h04i.jpg

DSC_1184_zps5ttsqkmk.jpg

DSC_1190_zpsnz38totv.jpg

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Crazy Snap Captain,

I keep on looking at your decaling, and it looks absolutely perfect. The wing feathers, is the yellow decal or paint, with the rest of the feathers being decals?

Joel

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your kind words. The whole thing is a one piece decal (OOB). RoG decals are pretty good, I applied around three servings of Mr Softener to get them to really blend in. Worked a treat.

And believe it or not, not a drop of future or gloss coat went on this plane!

Hi Joel,

Nope...no gloss. And yes you're right, I polished the paint job with micro mesh all the way up to 12,000 grit. Next step, good quality kitchen paper towel rubbed over the model for a final polish and then a quick wash with tepid water and a minuscule amount of dish washing solution. After the model had air dried, I used Mr Setter that helps the decal set nicely and then Mr Softener to get them to conform. I ran a # 11 Xacto along any panel lines and reapplied Mr Softener again. Then sealed with Tamiya Flat Clear acrylic.

If you look at the walkway decals next to and aft of the cockpit you'll see no silvering even though these decals had a lot of clear film between the light gray stripes. There is one decal that has a bit of silvering, but this was an oversight by me rather than the process being flawed. If you look at the last picture of post # 7, you'll notice a decal near the wing root that looks a tad glossy around a grill panel. I had retouched this area with paint and had forgotten to polish up after I painted. I also forgot to use the Mr Setter on this decal (or maybe I was just too lazy and skipped it). The result was slight silvering and no amount of flat clear could get rid of it. :bandhead2:

The key though for me is the way that you lay down your initial paint job. Getting the ratios and pressures right makes a huge difference. When I laid this paint job I just knew I got it right. I used some tips from Paul Budzik's videos and Chuck540Z3's posts and it seemed to work a treat. I really don't like using future and really don't see the point of laying down a beautiful matt/satin paint job only to have it glossed over with future (which is also a pain in the rear end to find here in Australia).

Thanks again for your kind words :cheers:

Andrew,

I've watched Paul's vids and read Chuck's prep method for decaling. Paul doesn't use any gloss media, but polishes the paint to a smooth and consistent surface. I've thought about that for some time, but have shied away from actually doing the "full Monty" as damaging the paint, or breaking off parts really scared me to death. But every time I see this technique used, I'm just amazed at the results. Chuck polishes then Glosses with Future/Pledge till he has a glass like finish. To completely different decaling techniques, but both offer the perfect surface for decaling. Paul's method needs a lot less Matt media to produce the final flat finish then Chuck's would. But Chuck does end up with the same flat finish.

I'm presently painting my 1/48 scale Eduard Spitfire with my new Iwata Eclipse, and the paint is rougher then with my old gun. Most likely it's my unfamiliarity with the new air brush. So I'm going to rub down the finished paint as see just how smooth I can get it.

Joel

CSC awesome build! Your second series of photos look great (actually so do the first!). I so want to get into the photography part of the hobby but, it's going to take a bit of saving to get there. The tiger meet planes are always so colorful and your Rafale "Bravo" is no exception! Excellent work!

Edited by taggor

Andrew,

I've watched Paul's vids and read Chuck's prep method for decaling. Paul doesn't use any gloss media, but polishes the paint to a smooth and consistent surface. I've thought about that for some time, but have shied away from actually doing the "full Monty" as damaging the paint, or breaking off parts really scared me to death. But every time I see this technique used, I'm just amazed at the results. Chuck polishes then Glosses with Future/Pledge till he has a glass like finish. To completely different decaling techniques, but both offer the perfect surface for decaling. Paul's method needs a lot less Matt media to produce the final flat finish then Chuck's would. But Chuck does end up with the same flat finish.

I'm presently painting my 1/48 scale Eduard Spitfire with my new Iwata Eclipse, and the paint is rougher then with my old gun. Most likely it's my unfamiliarity with the new air brush. So I'm going to rub down the finished paint as see just how smooth I can get it.

Joel

Hey Joel,

The part I borrowed from Chuck was a tip he shared re airbrushing in corners and crevasses. He noted that the paint seemed to always go down rougher on these sections. I can't remember the exact theory he put up on it (something about a whirlwind effect that made the paint dry quicker before it hit the surface), but he solved it by dropping his compressor pressures. I tried this and it worked brilliantly. As for the paint coming off when you sand, it's not a problem with flat areas (such as wings etc) but as soon as you have any lumps or bumps, it will come off. In these instances I retouch up and more often than not, decals don't really go in these areas. If they are required, I will polish it up with a drop of future. Hope this helps somewhat. I'm afraid my writing skills are not as good as some.

CSC awesome build! Your second series of photos look great (actually so do the first!). I so want to get into the photography part of the hobby but, it's going to take a bit of saving to get there. The tiger meet planes are always so colorful and your Rafale "Bravo" is no exception! Excellent work!

Thanks mate. Appreciate the compliment! Highly recommend getting a decent camera. Yet another things to spend hours on trying to master! :woot.gif: