Here's some inspiration for the folks who are starting on the new Revell 1/32 F-4G.

x69-0250%20July%2087%20RAF%20Bentwaters%20Kevin%20Foy_zpsyygl63kx.jpg

Hello Scott,

great pictures! Thanks for sharing!!

I have a question regarding the F-4G, 69-0250 in the SEA-wrap around scheme. The picture is dated July 1987, so it is possible to display this jet together with the shark-mouthed F-16C, 85-1546?

Jake Melampy states at his new "USAFE Vipers" decals that F-16C, 85-1546 arrived at Spangdahlem in April 1987. I'm not a 32nd scale modeller, but to see these two jets in the above mentioned paint schemes, even in 1:48, would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jens

Edited by onescale

Hope Jake Melampy is taking notes of these images,Would love to see some Spangdahlem SEA Wraparound jets from him....#250 with the sharkmouth would be cool. That Kevin Foy image is one of only two SEA Wrap Spang jets i've ever seen with sharkmouths .

69-7262_zps0zffyurv.jpg

Image credit unknown

Edited by mungo1974

Hello Scott,

great pictures! Thanks for sharing!!

I have a question regarding the F-4G, 69-0250 in the SEA-wrap around scheme. The picture is dated July 1987, so it is possible to display this jet together with the shark-mouthed F-16C, 85-1546?

Jake Melampy states at his new "USAFE Vipers" decals that F-16C, 85-1546 arrived at Spangdahlem in April 1987. I'm not a 32nd scale modeller, but to see these two jets in the above mentioned paint schemes, even in 1:48, would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jens

The dates I put on Kevin's photos were the film processing dates. I don't know exactly when he took the photos. I believe when the F-16s arrived the F-4Gs were all reassigned to the 81TFS, but I don't know exactly when that happened. I suppose it is possible 85-1546 was assigned to the 480th and had the sharkmouth painted on it while there were still F-4Gs assigned to the 480th as well.

When I was in the 526TFS, during the F-16 conversion in Fall 1985 all of the remaining F-4Es from both the 512th and 526th were consolidated in the old 417TFS area in the TAB-V area southwest of the west end of the runway at Ramstein. They were operated under the 526TFS but no 512th markings were painted over.

The 512th got the first F-16s in the 512TFS restricted area which was south of the east end of the runway, but even before they were full strength the 526TFS starting gaining F-16s in the 526TFS area which was north of the east end. So essentially for almost a year there were two separate 526TFSs located in separate areas of the base. Might be the conversion at Spangdahlem was done similarly.

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks for the information!

If both jets were in service at the same time but at different locations, I would like to build both, display both together and call it "artistic licence".... :whistle:

Thanks again and best regards,

Jens

Those WW jets are pretty cool. Don't think many other AF jets carried unit markings on the fin, also liked the one that had the brown upper cammo applied all the way down on the cannon fairing.

Good stuff!

Do you know the story on the one with it's arrestor hook down? Brake failure maybe?

For sure utility hydraulic failure which takes out brakes, nose wheel steering, flaps and landing gear plus a couple other things. They blow the flaps and gear down with backup pneumatics, and have pneumatic back up brakes but no anti-skid with that. The jet rolled into the departure end barrier pretty fast so I can only guess the utility failure was due a blown brake line.

I shot the photo just after it stopped, note the fuel pouring out of the fuselage tank vent at the base of the rudder from the fuel sloshing as it stopped.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Those WW jets are pretty cool. Don't think many other AF jets carried unit markings on the fin, also liked the one that had the brown upper cammo applied all the way down on the cannon fairing.

Good stuff!

Sometime in early 1982 they were directed to remove the squadron emblems from the fin and relocate them to the left intake side, with the right side carrying the wing emblem as in all other TAC F-4 units. It was cool while it lasted though! Here's some photos of 69-7235 to illustrate (plus one of her in Hill Gray that I shot many years later)

x69-7235%2039%20TFS_zpsridrbfzk.jpg

x69-7235%20Feb%201982%20George%20AFB%20Scott%20R%20Wilson_zpsdaldgll5.jpg

x69-7235%20Nellis%20AFB%20March%201982%20Scott%20R%20Wilson_zpsm0fdlgcz.jpg

x69-7235%20George%20AFB%20December%201982%20Scott%20R%20Wilson%202_zpsbeyr9q8z.jpg

x69-7235%20June%201989%20McChord%20AFB%20Scott%20R%20Wilson_zpssxcwokth.jpg

Jake Melampy states at his new "USAFE Vipers" decals that F-16C, 85-1546 arrived at Spangdahlem in April 1987.

Hi, Jens. Correct, the first Vipers arrived at Spang in April 1987. I would imagine that the Vipers and Phantoms had different working and parking areas as Scott described. In fact, I've not seen a ramp shot of Spang where both types were visible in the photo, aside from airshows. However, who's to say it never happened? I think it would be a nice model and I look forward to watching you build it!

Great shots, Scott. Thanks for sharing. Sadly, I only shot 6 active F-4Gs before they were retired. Most of my Weasel pics were shot as they were at Tyndall as QF-4Gs.

Jake

Hi, Jens. Correct, the first Vipers arrived at Spang in April 1987. I would imagine that the Vipers and Phantoms had different working and parking areas as Scott described. In fact, I've not seen a ramp shot of Spang where both types were visible in the photo, aside from airshows. However, who's to say it never happened? I think it would be a nice model and I look forward to watching you build it!

Great shots, Scott. Thanks for sharing. Sadly, I only shot 6 active F-4Gs before they were retired. Most of my Weasel pics were shot as they were at Tyndall as QF-4Gs.

Jake

Thanks a lot for your infos, Jake!

In a German forum a guy stated that he has seen F-4G 69-0250 in the SEA-wraparound scheme on July 30th 1987.

Almost a year later, on July 12th 1988, as he has seen 69-0250 again, this time it was painted grey (Hill Grey).

He assumes that this plane never was painted in the Euro-One scheme.

As far as I understand his posts in the German forum right he very often went to airbases, took pictures (?) and wrote "important" observations and dates in some kind of logbooks.

To me this is prove enought that the SEA painted F-4G 69-0250 and the Sharks-mouthed F-16C 85-1546 were at the same airbase (and same airspace !) at the same time!

Thanks again for your help and best regards,

Jens

P.S.: hope we both get old enought to see the models finished..... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend of mine flew Vipers with the 480th beginning in 1990 and he said he often flew as part of a 4-ship with two F-16s and two F-4Gs. I see no reason why you can't build the two models you like.

Jake