Wellesley + Hercules = cool bird!

I have a problem. I’m addicted, not only to modelling in general, but to Matchbox kits in particular. I’ve tried to quite, really, but it’s not as easy as it sounds. I love their weird subjects and the fact that you can generally get them for very little money. When you combine this with a growing love of interwar European bombers, that means that Matchbox and Heller are going to be the targets of choice!

Of course, sometimes I like to get a bit wild; the weirdness of a straight Matchbox kit isn’t enough; that’s what happened when I got a hold of the Wellesley. Looking around on the ‘net, I found that they used the Wellesley for several different tests, including for the Hercules radial!

I decided to take my little Matchbox and try and make a test airframe out of it. I guess it worked, because it turned out pretty well, I think. Check it out and let me know what you think; I always value feedback!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/planes/matchbox-172-wellesley-mk-i-vickers-model-289/

wellesley-106.jpg?w=640

:D, G'day Faust. That's a nice little model you have there and a good idea too. My only criticism is that the Hercules was indeed an 18 cylinder engine like the BMW 801. The engine you've used is a 14 cylinder one and not really representative of the Hercules which was a sleeve valve engine hence no pushrods or rocker boxes. The pushrods on your engine are very obvious and perhaps slightly spoil an otherwise great build. However the quality of your work is first class and I do like your paint job. Congratulations on this one mate.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Tut tut Ross, 18 cyl Hercules, me thinks you might be thinking Centaurus. The no of cylinders is fine but Ross's point about the push rods is spot on. That apart, its a nicely done model & looks the part. 1600 hp in a Wellesley though, whoops, there go the wings. ;) :D Maybe with the top carb intake repositioned underneath, it could become a P & W R-1830 Twin Wasp engined Wellesly, but heck, if you're happy with it & I would be looking like that, stay with it the way it is. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Here's what a Bristol Hercules two-row 14-cylinder sleeve-valve radial looks like.....

bristol hercules_01.jpg

I took the photo at a Coventry airshow last month - note the lack of pushrods, the fine finning on the cylinders and the exhausts.

Ken

Ken:

Great shot of the Hercules! I can indeed see the difference in what it looks like versus my version.

I realize now that's quite an "oopsy", but I'm cool with it. I had fun and made an interesting kit that's ALMOST accurate! :hmmm:

I am glad that you guys noticed the discrepancy, though; it means people actually pay attention, and that makes me very happy.

I will definitely pay more attention next time (well, I hope I will!) I do an engine swap. I blame Germans for not using Sleeve Valve engines on the Ju-88G series night fighters. Yeah, that's it!

:D, My apologies Faust. The Hercules is of course a 14 cylinder engine. All my life I've grown up with the idea of it being an 18 cylinder. Well I guess I should be happy that I was half right! Of course it was the Centaurus that was the 18 cylinder Bristol :doh: :lol:

:cheers:,

Ross.