Tamiya 1/32 De Havilland Mosquito

Hi everyone,

My big Tamiya Mossie has arrived and i will be starting her in a couple of days when i finish off the 1/72 Zero i'm super excited to start this awesome kit !!!!!!!!

005_zpsq5ojtdho.jpg003_zpsp8cm36yg.jpg004_zpsh4cpdt32.jpg

001_zpsj8rk3wn0.jpg

002_zpskjr54dh4.jpg

If anyone can help with photos it would be very much appreciated especially with the various hoses/wiring/ect Tamiya do include some great detail photos however...

Cheers and Much more to come.....Lee !

Edited by skystreak80

While I rarely model in 1/32 scale, I'll be following along from start to finish on Tamiya's finest large scale prop to date. This is going to be one great journey.

Joel

Grabbin' a seat, skystreak80! Beautiful shots by the way! Hey, Joel, I wish you'd build 1/32 more -- love that Buffalo -- 1/32 is fun isn't it? :)/>

Crackerjazz,

The thought has crossed my mind to build a 1/32 scale kit every once in a while. But my heart and soul belongs to 1/48 scale aircraft these days.

Joel

Lee, I'm jealous but also super excited to follow along!

Disappointingly I don't have many Mossie photos but here's a couple from 2011 that may help. The others I have are of the same machine with cowls on and all painted - it's a Canadian-built FB.26 but with ex-RNZAF FB.VI Merlins.

KA1141270311.jpg

KA1143270311.jpg

Edited by K5054NZ

Thanks heaps for the photo's i wish i was in that shed haha !!!!!

Lee, I'm jealous but also super excited to follow along!

Disappointingly I don't have many Mossie photos but here's a couple from 2011 that may help. The others I have are of the same machine with cowls on and all painted - it's a Canadian-built FB.26 but with ex-RNZAF FB.VI Merlins.

KA1141270311.jpg

KA1143270311.jpg

It was a magical place that day for sure. It's the hangar of AvSpecs, one of the top warbird shops in New Zealand. Off topic: the wrapped object to the right of frame in the first picture is a Spitfire XIV (which flew again in April), not pictured is a Spitfire XVI, and behind me was this:

Tomahawk1270311.jpg

And now back to your regularly scheduled Mosquito content.

ZK-MOSArdmoreZacYates3009122.jpg

ZK-MOSArdmoreZacYates2909121.jpg

ZK-MOSArdmoreZacYates2909122.jpg

That's it i'm moving to New Zealand haha !!! i'm sure it was a magical place to be around all of those big V12 powered warbirds once again thanks for the amazing pic's......Lee

It was a magical place that day for sure. It's the hangar of AvSpecs, one of the top warbird shops in New Zealand. Off topic: the wrapped object to the right of frame in the first picture is a Spitfire XIV (which flew again in April), not pictured is a Spitfire XVI, and behind me was this:

Tomahawk1270311.jpg

And now back to your regularly scheduled Mosquito content.

ZK-MOSArdmoreZacYates3009122.jpg

ZK-MOSArdmoreZacYates2909121.jpg

ZK-MOSArdmoreZacYates2909122.jpg

Hi all a quick update,

Starting this epic Kit Tonight should have build photos in a day or two. I am going to build the RNZAF No 487 Squadron Mossie that was shot down in 1944 by a FW190 on returning from Operation "Jericho"

001_zpsnia3qvdm.jpg

002_zpsfxdxezsd.jpg

003_zpsfqpcnyhz.jpg

004_zpskdytywuw.jpg

And a little bit about operation "Jericho" if you don't know.......

Air Vice Marshall Basil Embry was originally intended to command the attack but was later forbidden from flying on the mission, as he was involved in the planning of the invasion of Europe. Pickard took his place, despite his limited experience of low-level attack. The mission was delayed by very poor weather, which worsened after 10 February, with low cloud and snow across Europe. By 18 February, it was not possible to wait any longer for the weather to improve and the 18 Mosquitos, plus a PR (photo-reconnaissance) Mosquito, were readied. The crews were briefed at 08:00 under high security, the first time they had been made aware of the target. Pickard was to bring up the rear of the second wave of aircraft, to assess the damage and to call in 21 Squadron if necessary. In the event of anything happening to Pickard's aircraft, the crew of the PR Mosquito would carry out the task instead.

220px-Operation_Jericho_-_Amiens_Jail_Breached.jpg
Damage included a hole in the perimeter wall (right-of-centre).

The final decision to carry out the attack was made two hours before the deadline for striking the target and the Mosquitos took off from Hunsdon, into weather worse than many of the crews had previously experienced. Four Mosquitos lost contact with the formation and had to return to base and one had to turn back due to engine problems, leaving nine to carry out the main attack with four in reserve.

At one minute past noon they reached the target, three of No. 487 Squadron's aircraft aiming for the eastern and northern walls of the prison with bombs fitted with eleven-second delayed-action fuzes, while the other two made a diversion attack on the local railway station, before returning to the prison. The outer walls were breached but the No. 464 Squadron Mosquitos were too close behind and had to circle the target while the initial bombs detonated.

The eastern wall appeared unbreached at 12:06, when two planes from 464 Squadron attacked it from an altitude of 50 feet (15 m), with eight 500 pounds (230 kg) bombs but observers did not see any damage to the prison. Simultaneously, two Mosquitos from 464 Squadron bombed the main building from 100 feet (30 m), also with eight 500 pounds (230 kg) bombs. A direct hit on the guardhouse killed or disabled the occupants and a number of prisoners were killed or wounded, while many were able to escape.

Pickard, circling at 500 ft (150 m), saw prisoners escape and signalled the No. 21 Squadron Mosquitos to return home. As he turned for home, a Fw 190 fighter of JG 26 severed the tail of his Mosquito and the crash killed him and his navigator.

In total 255 prisoners escaped, though 182 were recaptured. The diversion attack on the railway station delayed German troops by two hours.

amiens2_zpsigci27nk.jpg

air_mosquito3_zps1l3uyaza.jpg

Cheer's and ill be back soon with pics of my progress after all this is an in progress forum so i better make progress smile.gif

While I rarely model in 1/32 scale, I'll be following along from start to finish on Tamiya's finest large scale prop to date. This is going to be one great journey.

Joel

I'm the same.

My rule is if it's the size of a post-1960s strike-fighter in 1/48th scale, I'll buy and build it.

Most 1/32nd scale WWII non-bomber a/c fit into that category.

One of my favourite aircraft. Was lucky enough to sit the British Aerospace one when it paid a visit to Warton.

Don't know how true it is, but I once heard that German pilots were credited with 2 kills if they managed to bring a mozzi down.

Too big a kit for me so will be watching with interest.

One of my favourite aircraft. Was lucky enough to sit the British Aerospace one when it paid a visit to Warton.

Don't know how true it is, but I once heard that German pilots were credited with 2 kills if they managed to bring a mozzi down.

Too big a kit for me so will be watching with interest.

Awesome stuff i hope to see one in person one day.

Apparently it is true as the Mossie was so hard to catch the German pilot's were awarded with Two kills per Mossie.

Yeah it's the best. Will you do a build thread too?

Yea I will do a thread when I start it. Just have to finish a couple of other projects first :(/> Though after looking at the sprues last night I am tempted to push those projects aside.

Edited by Webby

Great stuff Lee, I hope my photos were able to inspire you a bit! If it helps (and you have the time to spare), here's a video I shot in September 2013:

I'm glad to see you're doing the NZ aircraft, the Amiens Raid is a fascinating piece of history.

Great stuff Lee, I hope my photos were able to inspire you a bit! If it helps (and you have the time to spare), here's a video I shot in September 2013:

I'm glad to see you're doing the NZ aircraft, the Amiens Raid is a fascinating piece of history.

Zac,

Just a great video. Thanks for sharing that link.

Joel

Yea I will do a thread when I start it. Just have to finish a couple of other projects first sad.gif/> Though after looking at the sprues last night I am tempted to push those projects aside.

I look forward to your build ill be watching your's as well. Haha i know the feeling all too well my last build almost got the elbow when this arrived smile.gif

Thanks for that it's a great video i think i have seen every Mossie video on the net now haha !

Yeah it just felt right to do the RNZAF bird !!

Well off to a slow and steady start ( First few steps of the 105 step instruction book )

The first thing i did was make enough of my own green primer for the whole kit using ( Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer 60% ) ( Mr Hobby Color - various green's 30% ) (Mr Retarder Mild 10%)

001_zpsr6xu6huf.jpg

002_zpskojyu8fv.jpg

003_zpsmnkcyegf.jpg

004_zpsvouuqppo.jpg

005_zpszcvailkk.jpg

006_zpsnexvkbci.jpg

007_zpsohd7jc45.jpg

Could not resist taping the forward Fuselage together but coming back apart now to fit out the Cockpit with all the details and mount the 4 Browning 7.7mm machine guns.

Cheers and ill be back !!

Lee....