14 members have voted

1. 1. Yes?

• Yes.

The First Half GB

September 1, 1939 - September 2, 1942

Dates: Beginning September 1, 2015

Ending March 1, 2016

Mods: None yet

Howdy folks. I propose a 6 month group build to commemorate the beginning of World War II on September 1, 2015, to last until March 1, 2016. I'm also proposing, should there be adequate interest, the Second Half, beginning March 1, 2016 and leading up to 71st anniversary of V-J day, September 2, 2016. In effect, this would be like having a year long group build about World War II, except that it's divided into two GBs covering earlier and later subjects. This poll, however, is just for the first one.

The First Half shall include subjects from September 1, 1939* until September 2, 1942, exactly one half of World War II.

*I'm making a special exception to include subjects of all ongoing conflicts which began before September 1, 1939, such as the Italian Conquest of Ethiopia, the Sino-Japanese War and Khalkhin-Gol.

There are just a few key events to provide inspiration when selecting a build:

1) Ongoing fighting in and around China and Africa

2) Invasion of Poland

3) Battle of River Plate

4) Phoney War

5) Scandanavian Campaigns

6) Invasion of the Low Countries, to include France

7) Battle of Britain

8) Japanese invasion of Indo-China

9) Channel Battles

10) Battle of the Atlantic, to include non-aligned countries, like those in the Americas, defending their territory, airspace or waters

11) Invasion of the Soviet Union

12) Japanese initiation of the Pacific War; Philipines, Malaya, Indonesia, Formosa, Pearl Harbor, etc.

13) Battles across the African Deserts and in the Mediterranean

14) Foreign fliers in Russia and China

15) Early American raids across the South Pacific

16) Japanese raids on Madagascar

17) Coral Sea

18) Midway and the Aleutian Campaign

19) Axis alliance advancing across Ukraine

20) Beginning of American strategic bombing in Europe and the Guadalcanal landings

Models, or other styles of art, of all types are welcome -- any scale, any medium.

Do you have the interest?

Edited to fit recommended format.

Edited by Exhausted

Lovely idea but I am not sure we can get it up that early.

Ah, drats. Looks like this summer may be a bit crowded, but the dates really line up. The beginning of the first half is on the anniversary of the start of the war and the second half ends on the anniversary of the end of the war. You need quite a window to tackle a beast like WWII. I really don't want to needlessly over saturate the GB section.

I'd do a September Campaign aircraft for the 1st half.Perhaps a TBM-3 for the 2nd half.

I have some ideas myself. The Skua, Val or Aleutians P-38 for the first half, and a B-29, Lancaster, or Arado for the second half.

Yes! :woo:

I've got a ton of normal stuff to fit into this, but also a couple of odd ones, so...

What about involved non-combatants, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Portugal etc. They were not actively engaged, but they played a part enforcing their airspace and were quite involved on the diplomatic front. They also received a fair bit of war material to gain favor.

What about nations prior to entry? The US was in theory neutral until the end of 1941, but was actively patrolling and (selectively) enforcing its neutrality since the invasion of Poland.

Just opens a few doors to some lesser seen things, don't see many Swiss P-51s or aircraft built in the US Neutrality scheme.

Yes! :woo:/>

I've got a ton of normal stuff to fit into this, but also a couple of odd ones, so...

What about involved non-combatants, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Portugal etc. They were not actively engaged, but they played a part enforcing their airspace and were quite involved on the diplomatic front. They also received a fair bit of war material to gain favor.

What about nations prior to entry? The US was in theory neutral until the end of 1941, but was actively patrolling and (selectively) enforcing its neutrality since the invasion of Poland.

Just opens a few doors to some lesser seen things, don't see many Swiss P-51s or aircraft built in the US Neutrality scheme.

If the mods can fit it in, then non-combatants would absolutely be welcome because many of them were right at the doorstep of the belligerents and even engaged them on certain occasions.

Keep in mind that it was a world war, and thus fighting to sustain colonies, even though it wasn't in the direct scope of WWII is perfectly allowed.

Guys, we have to grasp the 'global' portion of global war here. With economies in ruins following the Great Depression, every nation must have felt somehow vulnerable to the fighting. In South America ships were falling to the u-boats, in central Africa the colonies became hotgrounds for countries like Britain and France to duke it out, and even Portugal opened its territory to the RAF.

Because of the uncertain nature of the last world war, I'm adopting a loose interpretation here.

It sounds interesting, I just picked up a Hasegawa Hurricane for a BoB Group Build, but I won't make the deadline for that one since it ends 5 Oct and I won't be home to build it until around 1 Oct. I did a to-do list of kits and I also have a Ki-27 and TBD near the top of my build list that fit the theme for this. Going to try to do the Vietnam group build as well but I tend to finish around 1 per month when I am home so this one is good for me.

I have tons of late war stuff to do, possibly a FAA Hellcat or Avenger.

Edited by nspreitler

Bump!

Hey guys, I would appreciate a vote from you for this GB. I really want to see if the mods could fit it in, but that may depend on demand. I really feel that a WWII GB should be broken up in order to pay proper tribute to the true scope the 6 year war had.

Thanks!

Guys, we have to grasp the 'global' portion of global war here. With economies in ruins following the Great Depression, every nation must have felt somehow vulnerable to the fighting. In South America ships were falling to the u-boats, in central Africa the colonies became hotgrounds for countries like Britain and France to duke it out, and even Portugal opened its territory to the RAF.

Because of the uncertain nature of the last world war, I'm adopting a loose interpretation here.

Cool, I was hoping you would answer this way. Like you said it was a global war and there were a lot of weird actions on the periphery that few have heard about but they make interesting model subjects.

While the Sept-Mar / Apr-Sept is a neat idea, I hope you won't give up on it if the dates don't work out.

• 2 weeks later...