Buying Iwata from Japan via Ebay

Hi,

I'd like to get an Iwata Custom Micron CM-C+ Version 2 and notice that it's much cheaper to source one via Ebay from Japan that to go to a UK dealer. However, the UK importer does make a big deal about the risk of getting a fake if you buy one from overseas. I'm happy to take the risk, but would like to minimise it. So: Has anyone bought from an Iwata from a Japanese Ebay trader and can pass on a recommendation?

Many thanks

Jon

I've had good service from this seller. I always go with the expedited shipping. He usually gets it to me in California in a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA-CM-CP2-Airbrush-0-23mm-7-0ml-Custom-Micron-Series-From-Japan-/181547507749?hash=item2a45132025:g:UQcAAOSw8-tWVX1U

Paul

Edited by Paul Budzik

May I ask why you have decided on the CM-C+ v.2? The difference from the earlier version is only the trigger. And why did you choose the CM-C+? it is the largest of all the Microns. It's a matter of taste, but I find it to be a bit clumsy, compared to the other models.

Thanks Paul and Miro; most useful.

May I ask why you have decided on the CM-C+ v.2? The difference from the earlier version is only the trigger. And why did you choose the CM-C+? it is the largest of all the Microns. It's a matter of taste, but I find it to be a bit clumsy, compared to the other models.

I'm not especially bothered as to whether it's the v.2 or not (the UK importer only sells the v.2, so that's what I'm comparing overseas prices against). I'm inclined towards the C+ because it has some extra functionality - MAC valve and rear body cut out. Since I don't want a 0.18 needle, the only other brush that seems worth comparing it with is the CM-C, but I think I'd rather have the MAC valve than a smaller colour cup.

Jon

Thanks Paul and Miro; most useful.

I'm not especially bothered as to whether it's the v.2 or not (the UK importer only sells the v.2, so that's what I'm comparing overseas prices against). I'm inclined towards the C+ because it has some extra functionality - MAC valve and rear body cut out. Since I don't want a 0.18 needle, the only other brush that seems worth comparing it with is the CM-C, but I think I'd rather have the MAC valve than a smaller colour cup.

Jon

If you find a nice dealer, he could exchange the 0.18 in any Micron to a 0.23. I have done that with a couple of my own, and I know the opposite switch is quite common. Many buyers want the smaller nozzle.

The Mac valve can be useful, but it makes the airbrush quite a bit longer. If it is worth it or not, is up to each and evey user, but IMHO it isn't. I prefere a smaller, shorter airbrush. The B and SB models are better for detailing, again my personal opinion. My favourite Micron is a Olympos MP-200A, with a very small cup, but I use a B-model as well. The C only comes out when I'm doing post shading work.

My personal opinion is that all the Microns are of limited use with model paints. I know they're cool to have, but it would be the last airbrush I would add to my tool chest. That said, of the ones that I own, the only one that I use is the CM-B with a .023 head. The CM-C plus as mentioned is too bulky and with the MAC valve, too long. The cup on the CM-C is angled back a bit and barely clears your finger tip. I really like the visualization you have with the CM-SB, but cleaning the side cup is a pain. These things aren't meant to be used to paint an entire model, so to me, the CM-B makes the most sense from the ergonomic and ease of cleaning standpoint and with the .023 head it works with paint pretty well.

mqdefault.jpg

To Denstone: If you find someone who will swap out a head for free your lucky. Most dealers would have a lot of trouble reselling an opened Micron head package. I know I would never by one.

Paul

In the UK the CM-B comes with the 0.18 as standard and I assumed it would be the same in Japan. I don't want to pay the extra for the 0.23.

I might look again at the CM-SB. I used a side feed cup a lot about 20 years ago and I know I can cope with the increased cleaning hassle. I intend to use this airbrush very little and only with highly thinned (~80% thinner) Tamiya or Gunze Mr Color paints. I just want it for airbrushing streaks. I am happy with how I've used my H&S Evolution for this, but I'm hoping the Iwata will have better atomisation for the very fine work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be mulling it over.

Jon

These suggestions are really helpful; thanks.

The HP-B+ is *a lot* cheaper than a Custom Micron - half the price at UK retail, and from Japan the HP-B+ is less than $100. My general guide has been that when it comes to airbrushes you get what you pay for. Whilst the ergonomics might be excellent, is the quality of atomisation and/or manufacture significantly less with the HP compared to the CM? Or in other words, when it comes the CM, what extra are you paying for?

Thanks

Jon

Do you know anyone that has a Micron? It might be a good idea to try one for a couple of sessions before putting the money down. Some people love them, but I believe they are a disappointment to many as well.

The HP-B is a great airbrush as well, but it doesn't atomise as well. For effects like shading and thin streaks, the Microns are better, in my opinion. But as so many things, it's a question if "good enough" is enough? I like the thought that it's me that sets the limits, and not the equipment. If I have the best I can get, I have no one but myself to blame when I mess up. ;)

I purchased the CM-C plus v. 2 directly from Japan. It has performed flawlessly since I've purchased it. I went with the CM-C plus specifically because of the .23 mm nozzle and because of the wider trigger. I don't find it at all uncomfortable as is extremely well balanced and I find the MAC valve to be very useful. Mine only gets used when I need to do fine detailed painting (post shading, streaking, tight camo, etc). I've purchased three Iwatas from Japan to date and I've yet to get anything but the best service from all of the Japanese sellers I have dealt with. In fact, one brush I purchased recently came with a couple of scratches (very tiny scratches) on the handle and the seller replaced the whole thing no questions asked. I can't even get my local dealers to be that responsive when I need something. Oh, and my brushes are all the real deal. At the prices these are sold in Japan, the lack of warranty on these brushes is totally worth it. I'm so happy with the three I bought that I just purchased an HP-CH for a fraction of the price being sold here.

Rob

I've had good service from this seller. I always go with the expedited shipping. He usually gets it to me in California in a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA-CM-CP2-Airbrush-0-23mm-7-0ml-Custom-Micron-Series-From-Japan-/181547507749?hash=item2a45132025:g:UQcAAOSw8-tWVX1U

Paul

That's funny, Paul. I ordered my HP-CH from him yesterday. Glad you had good dealings with this seller.

Rob

Thanks everyone for your input, explanations and recommendations. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a Micron to test, but I would really like to have one in my arsenal even if I only use it rarely. I will probably still go with the CM-C+ simply because of the 0.23 needle.

Jon

I'll be buying the CM-B2 here shortly. I wish I had known how cheap (relatively I guess) you can get them direct from Japan. I never would have wasted my time on the H&S Infinity...which I absolutely hate. It's not the needle size either (I got the .15mm) it's just feels horrible to me and I can't get used to it.

I've got a couple folks who's opinions I trust enough that have recommended the CM, so that's what I'm going with. I do want the smaller needle and less bulky cup personally, but that's just a preference thing. I paint very small, using black base and building up, so the smaller needle is perfect. I'm not in any hurry to cover. Though, I imagine the .23 needle would suit most my needs too...but I also only spray Mr. Color/Hobby and Tamiya. I wouldn't let water based acrylics in the same room with a CM.

Though, I imagine the .23 needle would suit most my needs too...but I also only spray Mr. Color/Hobby and Tamiya. I wouldn't let water based acrylics in the same room with a CM.

I have no problem whatsoever spraying water based acrylics through my Microns. Properly thinned Tamiya, Gunze, Vallejo or AK acrylics works just fine.

I have no problem whatsoever spraying water based acrylics through my Microns. Properly thinned Tamiya, Gunze, Vallejo or AK acrylics works just fine.

That's fine, glad to here. I'm not letting Vallejo or AK or any other similar acrylics anywhere near any of my airbrushes for several reasons though...but good to know for anyone who wants to use them.

I would like to echo Paul's comment on the HP-B+. GREAT brush!!! It can do "anything" I have asked it to do, including "very" fine lines with Mr Color paint, and "exceptionally" fine lines when spraying ink!! I regularly freehand spray multi color camo with the B+. Even had a guy at my club call "Bull$hit", when he was told that I do freehand camo, with no masking!! I also use a CO2 tank, so the MAC valve would be a waste....

FWIW..

M

So I've got an HP-C+ running a .2mm needle and a CM-B running a .18, and IMO the difference is very noticeable. If something like a Paasche H is a machete, the HP-C+ is a paring knife, and the CM-B is a friggin' scalpel.

Personally, I'm a big fan of "painting small" and the CM-B is perfect for that - even - yes - for painting up entire kits. In fact I'm about to use mine to put paint on my 1/32 F-104 in the next day or so. That said, it's definitely a specialized tool and I wouldn't recommend it as a main workhorse airbrush. But for building up a camo scheme in layers and preserving tonal variation across the surface of the model, it's my huckleberry.

If I were just starting and knew what I know now I'd buy two airbrushes. I'd buy an Eclipse HP-CS or something similar for clears and primers, and I'd buy a CM-B for everything else. In fact I'm about to do that anyway. My 15 year old Eclipse is worn the hell out, so it's getting replaced, and the CM is inbound.

My personal opinion is that all the Microns are of limited use with model paints. I know they're cool to have, but it would be the last airbrush I would add to my tool chest.

Paul

I totally disagree. I have the Iwata HP-C Plus with 0.3 mm needle and Custom Micron CM-C Plus with 0.23 mm needle, which I recently changed to the even finer 0.18 MM needle. This airbrush is awesome and I find that the finer spray pattern is terrific for both detail and overall painting of models- more so than the HP-C Plus. Here are a few examples of what this airbrush can do for those who might be interested:

Link to my P-38L Build

• 2 weeks later...