I am pretty sure eventually HobbyBoss will get around to it. Big thing is although we know the shape of the exterior, certain internal features on the jet are a bit of a questionmark. Those question mark areas are a little easier to gloss over in 1/72 scale given the sizes of the sub-assemblies. But in 1/48, modelers tend to be a bit pickier on those matters.

It will also depend on if it goes into production or not. Some jets that have remained testbeds have NEVER gotten a 1/48 styrene kit, such as the Mig-1.33 and the Sukhoi Berkut. Only reason we even got them in 1/72 and 1/144 is because Zvezda originally did them (and in the case of the Berkut HobbyBoss copied them).

Edited by Jay Chladek

I am pretty sure eventually HobbyBoss will get around to it. Big thing is although we know the shape of the exterior, certain internal features on the jet are a bit of a questionmark. Those question mark areas are a little easier to gloss over in 1/72 scale given the sizes of the sub-assemblies. But in 1/48, modelers tend to be a bit pickier on those matters.

Accuracy shouldnt be dependent on the scale, heck even in 1/144. If something is wrong in 1/48, it will be wrong in 1/72 too. There isnt lack of references on T-50's OML so it should be reasonably easy to get a correct kit in terms of shape. Heck, there is even Sukhoi drawings of it.

I don't think that ANY kit - in ANY scale has yet managed to capture the subtle shape of the upper fuselage.

Note in the magazine photo how the flat area behind the cockpit blends into the Y-shaped spine - leading to each toed-in engine nacelle...

007.jpg

The model is the 1/72 scale 'Resin Magazin' kit.

My photo of the real thing - taken at MAKS 2013 - shows it well.

day5_009.JPG

Ken

PS - Jay - don't you mean the MiG 1.44 MFI ???

It will also depend on if it goes into production or not. Some jets that have remained testbeds have NEVER gotten a 1/48 styrene kit, such as the Mig-1.33 and the Sukhoi Berkut. Only reason we even got them in 1/72 and 1/144 is because Zvezda originally did them (and in the case of the Berkut HobbyBoss copied them).

I sooooo wished someone build 1.44 and berkut in /148!!! F-23 happened, maybe these will happen too. :pray:

I don't think that ANY kit - in ANY scale has yet managed to capture the subtle shape of the upper fuselage.

Note in the magazine photo how the flat area behind the cockpit blends into the Y-shaped spine - leading to each toed-in engine nacelle...

That shape is the absolute least of the worries for every injection kit out there of T-50. They are all fundamentally extremely wrong. Not mildly wrong, not lacking that Y shape - just flat out wrong. I was somewhat excited for the HB kit as early on the CAD's looked promising. It turned out to be another half attempt from HB, in certain respects it is better than Zvezda, despite being greatly oversized vs 1/72 scale.

I sooooo wished someone build 1.44 and berkut in /148!!! F-23 happened, maybe these will happen too. :pray:/>

YF-23 did, F-23 didnt. ;)