This kit has a lot of nostalgia for me.  My dad built this kit a long time ago when I was still getting glue fingerprints all over my models.  I remember he airbrushed it and I thought that was the best thing since sliced bread.  He used a Paasche H airbrush and I thought he was a god.  He painted it just like the aircraft he flew in Vietnam, and I played with that model incessantly. 

So here goes.  The kit is the re-production that recently came out, but I feel pretty certain they used the original molds.  There is flash and ejector marks all over this kit.  The shape of the nose is all wrong, but this is just gonna be a simple build.  I don't even think I am gonna add armor to the seats.  

20180718_102334

20180718_101354

20180718_101543

20180718_101420

20180718_101515

Edited by JesusNut

I am glad to see one of these being built.  When I was kid this was the first large scale kit that I can remember building.  It seemed massive to me because most of the kits I built back then were 1:72.  Of course when it was done, and brush painted some shade of green, I had to have my friends over so I could hear some Cool's, Daannngggs, and I gotta get me one's.  Have fun with it.

52 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Half the fun of this group build is hearing the stories. That is a great story about your dad building this kit.  

I couldn't agree more.  I am looking forward to this build.

1 hour ago, Els said:

I am glad to see one of these being built.  When I was kid this was the first large scale kit that I can remember building.  It seemed massive to me because most of the kits I built back then were 1:72.  Of course when it was done, and brush painted some shade of green, I had to have my friends over so I could hear some Cool's, Daannngggs, and I gotta get me one's.  Have fun with it.

I was the same way Els.  There would be more paint on Mom's dining room table and me than ever made it to the model.  And it was all enamel back them, so it was a mess to clean up!

Got some paint down this morning.  Trying some new techniques I learned so this is gonna be my guinea pig.  Started with a base layer of Tamiya XF-12.  I know its a little bit lighter gray than the prototype, but I am hoping the weathering will darken it to what I want it to be.  Let's see what happens.

20180718_101647

20180718_101642

Was this once kitted in a "Rambo" box or am I way off on left field? Anyways, I love Huey's so I'll be following along. Good luck!

Regards.

2 hours ago, Don said:

Was this once kitted in a "Rambo" box or am I way off on left field? Anyways, I love Huey's so I'll be following along. Good luck!

Regards.

There was also a 1/24 Huey, which was once issued as the "Rambo combat chopper"

And nice start, JesusNut.

Really nice work on updating- backdating, I guess- those seats.

I like the reddish shading on the flak padding. Will you also be adding a black wash, to give them even more visual interest?

Your project has been really fun to watch, so far.

10 hours ago, RKic said:

Really nice work on updating- backdating, I guess- those seats.

I like the reddish shading on the flak padding. Will you also be adding a black wash, to give them even more visual interest?

Your project has been really fun to watch, so far.

Thanks RKic!  I think the reddish shading you see is my phone camera.  I painted those FS 34078, MR Color C-304.  I still want to add seat belts and then will apply a wash.  

13 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Is the ip all paint? Looking great.

Thank you sir for the compliment.  Ahhhh, the wonders of modern photography!  Hahaha.  Yeah, it's all paint and the pictures do make it look pretty decent.  But when I see it with my naked eye, I think it looks rough and sloppy.  I have never been good at the small details like that and age is just making it worse. 

7 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Very convincing weathering. It really adds a lot to the engine and interior.

And thanks to you also for the compliment.  I tried a couple of new techniques I have picked up here on ARC and thought they came out pretty good.  Still have a lot to learn, but I am getting there.  

• 3 weeks later...