I’d like to see the following in 1/48:

A decent OH-13S (you can’t make an OH-13S from the Italeri kit) plus any other H-13’s in 1/48

Kellett XR-8

Hiller OH-23G

Hughes TH-55/Hughes 300

Sikorsky HH/CH-3E

New Tool UH-1C

Sikorsky H-19

On 2/1/2024 at 3:19 PM, Rob Mignard said:

I’d like to see the following in 1/48:

A decent OH-13S (you can’t make an OH-13S from the Italeri kit)

If you are referring to their 1:48 kit, Why not?

Isn't the kit of a 47G-3B? (long tailboom, two deep oval fuel tanks, curved skids)?

If so, it should be correct for an "S".  

The kit certainly isn't correct for a Korean War H-13D/E despite what the  1:72 box says. Nor it it correct for a Civil G or G-2.

There is no S available in 1:35 scale.

The MRC kit builds a Korean War-era 47D-1, H-13D/E while the Revell kit builds a circa 1955 47G-2, H-13H...or with the engine from the MRC kit, a straight G, H-13G.

Edited by JohnEB
Correct information
18 hours ago, JohnEB said:

If you are referring to their 1:48 kit, Why not?

Isn't the kit of a 47G-3B? (long tailboom, two deep oval fuel tanks, curved skids)?

If so, it should be correct for an "S".  

The kit certainly isn't correct for a Korean War H-13D/E despite what the  1:72 box says. Nor it it correct for a Civil G or G-2.

There is no S available in 1:35 scale.

The MRC kit builds a Korean War-era 47D-1, H-13D/E while the Revell kit builds a circa 1955 47G-2, H-13H...or with the engine from the MRC kit, a straight G, H-13G.

The OH-13S is closely related to the 47G-3; the Italeri kit however mostly resembles a 47G-3B-1. What's the difference? The OH-13S has a cabin width of 56"; the B-1 has a cabin width of 63". This is accurate for the Italian AB-47 G3 and the British AH.1; but not for the S model. If you look at photographs of an S model and an AH.1 the difference is very noticeable. Basically, the S model has a "two seat" cabin and the AH.1 has a "three seat" cabin.

The kit cabin (and therefore the bubble) are too wide to depict an S model and the bubbles are actually a different shape. There's really no way to easily fix this. I assume Italeri, being an Italian company, chose to use their AB-47 G3 as the base of their kit. 

Then there's the scale 4.5" tube diameters.

There are a myriad of other errors; some easy to fix; some not.

I've got many hours flying Bell 47's; they're one of my favorite helicopters.

G-3B-1.jpg

26V.jpg

Edited by Rob Mignard

I haven't built my Italeri kit yet, so I didn't realize its errors.

My Bell book says the narrow cabin is 55 inches. 

I agree with your comments, but in 1: 48th, a 8" difference in cabin width is 1/6th of an inch, so it isn't that big of a deal.

As I pointed out, at least you have the correct tail boom, engine and fuel tanks.

In checking my four Bell books, I see some of the "S"s had the small 43 gal. tanks, but by the time they reached Vietnam they had the 60 gallon units.

The Augusta (and UK Agustas assembled by Westland) were basically off the shelf civil ships and as you say had the more "blown" canopy. You are probably correct about them using a Augusta version as a model. And given the fact military models rule the market, it is no surprise it ended up as a U.S. Army S. But given they pawn off a G3 as a Korean War ship, selling a G3-B1 as a G3 is small potatoes!

Having been to model shows, I doubt if 99% of IPMS judges would notice the errors.

I don't mean to minimize the differences you pointed out, but as someone who waited most of his life for any 47 kit to become available, I'm just grateful that the errors you noted as as small as they are.

My 47 time is in a D-1, straight G, and an hour or so in a G-2....never got to fly one of the big engine G-3s.

Allow me to recommend "The Bell 47 Helicopter Story" by Robert Petite and Jeff Evans. Graphic Publishers, 2013.

It us well worth its high price for the comparative model charts.  731 pages.

Edited by JohnEB
1 hour ago, JohnEB said:

I haven't built my Italeri kit yet, so I didn't realize its errors.

My Bell book says the narrow cabin is 55 inches. 

I agree with your comments, but in 1: 48th, a 8" difference in cabin width is 1/6th of an inch, so it isn't that big of a deal.

As I pointed out, at least you have the correct tail boom, engine and fuel tanks.

In checking my four Bell books, I see some of the "S"s had the small 43 gal. tanks, but by the time they reached Vietnam they had the 60 gallon units.

The Augusta (and UK Agustas assembled by Westland) were basically off the shelf civil ships and as you say had the more "blown" canopy. You are probably correct about them using a Augusta version as a model. And given the fact military models rule the market, it is no surprise it ended up as a U.S. Army S. But given they pawn off a G3 as a Korean War ship, selling a G3-B1 as a G3 is small potatoes!

Having been to model shows, I doubt if 99% of IPMS judges would notice the errors.

I don't mean to minimize the differences you pointed out, but as someone who waited most of his life for any 47 kit to become available, I'm just grateful that the errors you noted as as small as they are.

My 47 time is in a D-1, straight G, and an hour or so in a G-2....never got to fly one of the big engine G-3s.

Allow me to recommend "The Bell 47 Helicopter Story" by Robert Petite and Jeff Evans. Graphic Publishers, 2013.

It us well worth its high price for the comparative model charts.  731 pages.

I too have waited a very long time for a decent OH-13. To me, the difference is too much to ignore (I really don't care what the IPMS judges know or don't know; but you're right, they wouldn't know the difference {I've been waiting for years for them to figure out the differences between the A, B, and C model Hueys}).

I've made a jig to build a new fuselage and tail boom using .020 to .035" plastic rod. I'm also working on a mold to make a new bubble and cabin. If you'd like a copy of the stuff I've found that needs addressing, PM me and I'll send you a copy. I also have a goodly amount of detail photographs of G models that I can share.

Mig

On 2/2/2024 at 10:58 AM, Stephane HERVE said:

In 1/48 or 1/35:

NH90

PUMA

Cougar

Caracal

MH47

In 1/35

CH46

in 1/48th scale for me, please, added to (sorry, have to say it again) the CH-54 in 1/48th. And since we are at it, also a CH-37 Mojave in 1/48th. 

Have a good one.

JFG.

Most wanted 1/72 & 1/144 scale in no particular order are:

CH/HH-3E/F Jolly Green Giant / Pelican

HH-52A Seaguard

S-92 Helibus / CH-148 Cyclone / VH-92 Patriot

HH-43B/F Husky

AH-56A Cheyenne

As a long time rotorhead I would have to go with these:

1/48th:

CH-53A/D - new one, not the Revell kit, its ok, but a new one would great

MH-53J PAVE LOW III - if you do a 53A/D you can easily do some extra sprues and release a good PAVE

CH-37 Mojave 

HH/CH-3

H-19

1/35th:

CH-53E - they did the CH-54, so why the heck not!!!!!

Gy Dan

On 2/12/2024 at 7:03 PM, YF65_CH53E said:

1/48th:

CH-53A/D - new one, not the Revell kit, its ok, but a new one would great

That wouldn't be fair; I almost finished to buy all the crap available to detail mine😅.

On a serious note, that would be a great idea, and as you say, a base kit could also serve for the PaveLow and Yasur variants with some extra parts.