1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)

This pod is a whole another model by itself! What a model, indeed! It can easily go as 1/32. It kinda needs some very little subtle weathering, to my taste at least. Can't wait to see it on the plane.

Hi, Rich, I'm just now catching up on your WIP thread.......all I can say is, Simply Amazing! The workmanship and attention to detail are second to none. Every time I see your work, I'm blown away. I really hope we get to see the phantom phinished one day: It'll be nothing short of amazing.

Cheers,

E

Posted (edited)

@Thadeus@my favs are F`s@wardog, thanks very much for your kind comments! 

@my favs are F`s: I agree with you that the pod looks too pristine. I plan to give it a "lightly used" look.

I’m adding a couple pictures to show where the pod will mount to the airframe. More work lies ahead for the adapter: basically a bomb rack form fitted to the AIM-7 missile recess and angled so as to position the ECM pod parallel to the jet’s longitudinal axis.

x9p1ofl.jpeg

5ezyxsP.jpeg

After more than a year’s time, I’m still not finished with the external ordnance! Work is well underway though on the inboard pylons and their stores. 

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by RichB63
  • 1 month later...
On 5/11/2024 at 12:35 AM, RichB63 said:

After more than a year’s time, I’m still not finished  ... .

Have you had time out of that hot sun to perform any more magic on this beauty?

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 2:24 PM, GeneK said:

Have you had time out of that hot sun to perform any more magic on this beauty?

Gene K

Thanks Gene!

Indeed, it is hot enough to melt plastic here in the aptly named Valley of the Sun, weather that confines a lot of us to indoor activities like model building. That said, I’m still plodding along on the last pieces of ordnance: an SUU-20 practice bomb dispenser, an AGM-45 Shrike and an AIM-9E Sidewinder, the latter of the inert variety, befitting the aircraft’s training role and providing a welcome splash of color for the model. All of these items will be installed on the excellent ResKit 3D printed pylons (reviewed earlier in this thread).

Hopefully,  these items will be finished soon (before month’s end).

Regards,

Rich 

DQwHiLa.jpeg

Edited by RichB63
13 hours ago, RichB63 said:

...  I’m still plodding along on the last pieces of ordnance: an SUU-20 practice bomb dispenser ... .

Looking good! Eduard?

Have a plan for the ALR-53 (?) Homing Antennas around the nose?

1758814890_ER-142Antenna.thumb.jpeg.f0038bbafd152ca2f2caa78afba01180.jpeg

Gene K

Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2024 at 7:52 AM, GeneK said:

Looking good! Eduard?

Gene K

Hi Gene…

The bomb dispenser is indeed from the Eduard Brassin line: very finely molded but the mounting lug locations were off…an easy enough thing to remedy however, as seen below.

xMXauU4.jpeg

FRut0ng.jpeg

Regarding the homing antennas that ring the nose: yet to be determined!

Edited by RichB63
On 2/17/2023 at 1:25 AM, RichB63 said:

A Wing And (mostly) A Prayer…

... I followed Jun Temma’s lead and replaced a section of each upper wing half with parts from the ZM F-4C.  ... .

vM41YoJ.jpg

You added beautifully crafted pieces to the bottom of the wings, including the wheel wells! How did you detail the top of the wings?

Gene K

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, GeneK said:

You added beautifully crafted pieces to the bottom of the wings, including the wheel wells! How did you detail the top of the wings?

Gene K

Gene,

To this point, the upper wing sections have been sanded smooth, but not yet re-scribed. It was more work than I anticipated as the Zoukei Mura and Tamiya wings have different airfoils. Of course, this is to be expected in the area where the wing bulge resides, after all, it’s the raison detre for accomplishing this modification in the first place. But contour differences existed outside this zone where, theoretically, they should not have.

I didn’t notice this until after the Zoukei transplant was complete. Consequently, a fair amount of filler was needed to build up the forward edge of the section join. Superglue was used to mitigate any shrinkage. If you’ve been following this silly saga from the beginning, then you’ll know that I’m a big fan of the stuff, especially in its low viscosity form. It really does live up to its name in my opinion.

No doubt my written explanation leaves a lot to be desired. So if you’re confused, I don’t blame you one bit! I’ll be sure to add some illustrative photos soon.

Rich

Edited by RichB63
On 6/18/2024 at 3:52 PM, GeneK said:

Looking good! Eduard?

Gene K

Hello,

not sure if it‘s exactly the same, they look like but the designation is an other one?

By the way Wolf3D resin parts have very nice stuff in excellent quality!

Best regards,

Jens

On 6/22/2024 at 3:51 AM, onescale said:

not sure if it‘s exactly the same, they look like but the designation is an other one?

Thanks, Jens. From my internet searching: on the Air Force EF-4C, the antenna designation was ER-142 (as listed on the Wolf3D site) until 1973 when it was upgraded to the ALR-53. Same housing shape for both, as well as on the F-4D and F-105. Don't know about Navy designation as on the A-6.

Not to stray too far off topic, Rich, but there's a discussion here (that hurts my brain) where I found this gem:

It seems those same antennas served IR-133/ER-142/ALR-53/APS-107 at various times, depending on the a/c.

Jen's link is coming in handy in laying out a set of tiny 3D printed antennas that a friend and I are working for his 1/72 EF-4C.  Based on photos, we won't be using the base plate shown on the Wolf3D site (but would be interested to learn on which aircraft that plate was used).  The only one item that has me still wondering is why in photos, the bottom two antennas look "fatter" than the top two. :hmmm:

2041667892_SkinnyvsFatAntenna.jpg.bbc731cc2e144469c454129c96993db9.jpg

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2024 at 9:26 AM, GeneK said:

...wondering is why in photos, the bottom two antennas look "fatter" than the top two. :hmmm:

2041667892_SkinnyvsFatAntenna.jpg.bbc731cc2e144469c454129c96993db9.jpg

Gene K

Gravity? 😜

Seriously, I'm seeing the same thing Gene. Those lower antennae also appear to be affixed to a beveled mount, resulting in somewhat of an outward tilt, one that does not quite correspond to their fuselage "clock" positions.

Many thanks to you and Jens for diving deeper into this subject, one that I'd not yet fully explored. I ordered a set of those Wolf 3D Resin antennae...At the very least, they will be a good starting point.

There are several former EF-4C airframes on static display around the world, but the azimuth antennae were removed long ago leaving behind just a small cover plate and holes for the fasteners...

dgNRAFF.jpeg

Fortunately, most of the other Wild Weasel modifications remained in place, even if the systems themselves were deactivated in the early 1980s when, upon transfer to ANG units, these aircraft resumed their traditional fighter/bomber role.

l1W9hK6.jpeg

5Nkugxv.jpeg
Cropped and annotated images Vladimir Yakubov, from the Silicon Valley Scale Modelers website walkarounds section. 

https://www.svsmgallery.com/Top-level/Walkarounds/Aircraft/Fighters-1945-Present/McDonnell-F-4-Phantom-II-Family/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4C-Phantom-II-Mojave-Air-Space-Port-by

Edited by RichB63
Posted (edited)

Illustrated update further addressing questions about upper wing mod. The dark gray plastic insert is from Zoukei Mura F-4C kit.

Re-scribing will take place once the wing is finished and things are more sturdy. A layer of epoxy putty in between the upper and lower wing halves, along with Tamiya’s spar insert, should provide plenty of strength and rigidity.

9iBQUeb.jpeg

WVqXy4c.jpeg

Edited by RichB63

I gotta say this is such a great build and there are some great inputs from the community concerning your project.

Hope you will be able to bedazzle us again soon with another installment of this masterpiece build. :salute:

Take care and keep cracking on,

Mr. Happy

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 9:53 AM, Mr.Happy said:

I gotta say this is such a great build and there are some great inputs from the community concerning your project.

Hope you will be able to bedazzle us again soon with another installment of this masterpiece build. :salute:

Take care and keep cracking on,

Mr. Happy

@Mr.Happy, thanks for the kind words!

I must say that your presence on the forum is a most welcome one: always positive, always supportive, always appreciative of others. We are lucky to have you!

As you point out, we are also lucky to have such enthusiastic and knowledgeable contributors. This project has benefited immensely from the generosity and collaboration of others here. I’m truly grateful! ☺️ 

Edited by RichB63

Wow 😮 

Many Thanks for your kind response to my post.

I hope all of you & yours have a very happy safe and firecracking 4th of July weekend.

Keep cracking on ,

Mr. Happy 

as usual, top-notch work that's second to none. I always enjoy seeing your updates as I'm always left speechless. 

Now I have to figure out why I'm no longer getting alerts for the builds I'm following.

-E

On 7/8/2024 at 12:01 PM, wardog said:

as usual, top-notch work that's second to none. I always enjoy seeing your updates as I'm always left speechless. 

Now I have to figure out why I'm no longer getting alerts for the builds I'm following.

-E

Many thanks E! 

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 2:59 PM, GeneK said:

Thanks for all the hard work and "inspiring" Zukei Mura, Rich! You were the right man to do it!:clap2:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Mr3PCtGvwRL2Z7bD/

451405357_8153149348049336_3468355833712

Gene K

Sweet! 

Early on, my plan was to convert the ZM F-4C kit. Then Tamiya released their gem and suddenly my life got more complicated!

Edited by RichB63

RichB63,

I think Zoukei Mura has mentioned that they might be producing an EF-4C. HOWEVER I have a strong feeling that yours will be hard to beat. 

Your EF-4C has and is better dimensionally, has better details, and is better researched.

Keep inspiring, Keep building, and Keep keeping on with this amazing project!

Mr. Happy

Yeah Gene I saw your post. I didn’t word my statement very well. I just didn’t want to make my point about it come across as boastful, rude, or petty.

I still believe that RichB63’s EF-C will be amazing and probably better than the Zoukei Mura (ZM) offering. That’s not to the ZM kit isn’t bad or un-buildable. It just is meant to reinforce the observation that RichB63’s level of accuracy and detail are superior to the ZM kit. 

Rich63’s work is nothing short of amazing. It’s a great example of plastic modeling and the care attention that is associated with the hobby.

Gene,

I thank you for your sharing the link / posting of the ZM and hope your will continue with keeping up the information and announcements posting in the future.

It is my hope that I have not come across as difficult, disrespectful, rude, self centered, or arrogant in any manner, way, shape or form. That is not my intention or motive.

Mr. Happy