HC-130N external upper ramp detail

I am currently working on an old Airfix kit trying to bash into looking like a HC-130N with the help of some Flightpath parts and minor scratch building.

Lockheed_HC-130N_Hercules_(L-382),_USA_-

I thought I was also most done when I noticed the 'guides' on the upper section of the rear door.

Does any one have a clear photo of what it look like from behind/underneath as I want to try and add that detail.

This is my progress so far.

72_HC-130N_USAF_56 72_HC-130N_USAF_57

12 hours ago, gmat6441 said:

There were two rails on the bottom of the upper ramp doors for the overhead delivery system. There were also flare tubes that extended throuhk th ramp.

https://up-ship.com/blog/?p=43160

Coast Guard bird with the same flare launchers.

USCG HC-130H flare launchers

Thanks nice internal detail, from the pictures I have seen and the one Andy posted in this thread it is hard to make out the detail between the rails.

2 hours ago, Da SWO said:

I have closeups pf the ramp and will post them ( if you want )when I am back home tonight.

It would be great to see them Brett, thanks!

Brett,

Great photos!  Our thanks to aircommando130.  I don't think the doors were "capped" when they were no longer needed / used.  I think they are merely covers so that airflow won't re-enter the aircraft, especially when pressurized at altitude.  It tends to lead to unpleasant results. 

In your third photo, the close-up clearly shows a small horizontal hinge at the bottom of the circle cover.  The whole point for the flare tubes in the upper ramp door was so that they could be launched at altitude with ramp closed and aircraft pressurized.  The flares were laid in the troughs, (hinged at the side as seen in the interior ramp photo by gmat6441), and pneumatically "fired" through the lower door, which was either pressure activated or spring loaded to close again once the flare was through the tube.  I assume that there must have been a tether to pull the flare parachute, much like a static line for a paratrooper.  Never having performed the task from a C-130, I am unaware of the particulars.  I have launched flares, smoke floats and pingers from P-3C tubes though.

Lastly, on the second and fourth photos, note the small rectangular plates between the first and second and again between the fourth and fifth launch tubes of the lower row.  If you follow the line up in the second photo you can see the mounting plates for the overhead rail system.

V/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Thanks for the images and extra info gents, a question about the rail shape/cross section. were they like a 'T' with the top of the against the fuselage? Or perhaps an 'L' or even 'U' shape? Also assume that the reinforcing mounts were just on the outside surface edge of the rail?

Ray,

I am pretty sure that the rails were "L" shaped, with the top of the "L" mounted to the underside of the upper ramp and the foot of the "L" facing outwards on either side.

_|          |_

At least, that is the way I am doing mine.

K/r,

Dutch"

Greetings all...yes those are pictures from the old HC fuselage trainer here at Kirtland. She's long gone now.

But he flare tube would hold the parachute flare in a spring loaded ejector. the lanyard hooked to a clip inside the tube

to ignite the flare when it left the tube. That's a door on the outside...if it opened the flare would eject. It was powered by hydraulic 

pressure from the aircraft. There were 3 panels to fire flares. You can see some bolt holes on either side of the tubes where the ODS

rail mounted to the door. We had the same flare launcher in the MC-130P but didn't use it...except to maybe jettison the honey bucket

bag out over the ocean. LOL! 

Cheers...Ron

35 minutes ago, MHaz said:

Found a few HC-130N/P pics at Airfighters and other sites. Some camo birds with the overhead rails, too. You might try downloading them and lightening things up in photoshop or equivalent and finding details that way...

Airfighters HC-130N/P

Air History HC-130N/P

I found them as well, but unfortunately nothing directly behind or underneath

14 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Trojan Thunder Ray, I think I still have the Aviation News Plans Service drawings for the Herk. And I will look through my WAPJ volumes to see what I can find. Will let you know tomorrow. K/r, Dutch 

Is that something that can be posted, or e-mail only?

You beat me to it by seconds, Dutch - just remembered I have the original Aviation News 'Warpaint' Series Monograph on the C-130, which contains the same plans, and yes, side, front and plan scrap views showing the Fulton nose and dorsal radome, but nothing other than a 'plain' ramp in the general rear view drawing...

....none of the photos show the ODS rails either - they appear to be evident in a couple of side shots, but that's all...

And here is the tail view. Nothing.  Nada. Zip. Zilch.  Apologies for the weird angle. Ray & Brett, if you want flat scans, let me know. I will peruse my WAPJ a little later and let you know what I find. 

20230422_134008.thumb.jpg.a3e8e26ab0b23ec098b2b57630ca06b7.jpg

Edited by Dutch
51 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Well Aviation News Plans Service drawings don't help for the ODS rails, but do show the AN/ARD-17 radome location.  See quick picks below.

20230422_133659.thumb.jpg.3cc15780ee2534b040247165533431d1.jpg

20230422_133648.thumb.jpg.ae7bfecf8bcd1ebf04cf875e5ecf233f.jpg

Helps with the scanner windows too!