I will release the A-10 Early Years sheet soon after I return to the US in a couple of weeks. I hope some of the brave souls among us will attempt to build the prototype - let's start a thread going to create a knowledge base and ideas to build the YA-10 in both 1/72 and 1/48.

I think many of us agree that the Tamiya kit will be a good basis in 1/48 scale. Some of the differences are obvious (20mm Vulcan instead of the GAU-8, Stencel ejection seat, panel line changes in the nose area, no wing strakes, etc.), while some are not (the windshield definitely looks somewhat different). I am looking forward to reading your ideas.

This is a great idea Kursad. I recently checked the boxing for the Tamiya A-10 with the Euro 1 scheme on the box. Looks like Tamiya has updated the moulds slightly. I built the Tamiya kit many years ago and I had to add the nose ECM bumps which was not on the fuselage halves. My boxing was the grey scheme on the box artwok. Not sure what else that added.

@KursadA

I agree with you that in 1:48 scale, the early Tamiya kit is probably the best starting point, as almost all the 1:48 A-10 kits depict some level of production standard with cut back stabs, fuselage strakes and the 30mm gun. 

In 1:72 scale, I think that the Matchbox kit (1978) (I know, I know...) is closest to the YA-10 configuration as it depicts the 20mm gun, no fuselage strakes, and early vertical stabs.  Check out this build review.  Even the very first Monogram 1:72 release (1977) depicts a production version with 30mm gun, fuselage strakes and larger stabs.

K/r,

Dutch

I’m getting ready to start two YA-10s using the first release of the Tamiya kit from 1977.  The later release in European 1 can be used as well.  I’m using some line drawing from Scale model mag from 1977 I think.  I will be doing 69 as a modified version with some of the features seen on production versions while tail number 70 will be as it was when first rolled out.  The research I have to do the initial roll out will require the following modifications:

1. Lower leading edges of tails need angle cut to them.

2. The trailing edge fillets on the engine pylons need to be cut straight 90 degrees to the fuselage.

3.  Engine pods need scribing.  The excess door to the engine are not as long and the the rear portion of the engine at the exhaust opens downward.

4. Aftermarket A-10a cockpit can be used since the YA-10 cockpit was very similar however the seat will need to be changed.  YA-10s used a Republic ejection seat which looks a lot like an F-105 seat which is what I’ll be using.  Preproduction and early production into fy77 used Escapac seats followed by the final ACES seat.

5. Wings- The wing span on the YA-10 was about 2 feet shorter than pre and production versions. The wing tips need to be cut off at the aileron.  The wing tip then needs material removed  where it just starts to curve then reinstalled.  The hinges on the ailerons and hinging is different as well.  The cover on top of the wing where the wing starts to bend up should be sanded down so it looks flat instead of round.  The wheel sponsons will need reshaping and shorten aft of the gear strut.  The wing pylons will need to be shorten and modified. The fuselage wing fillet will need removing requiring the wings to be built up as a full wing to the fuselage.

6. Fuselage lines will need new scribing and the four cooling scoops relocated.  The nose will need reshaping and under the fuselage at the wheel well will require sanding all the detail off.  The front nose gear is one piece and the the gear strut looks a lot like an F-105 fork.

7.  The front windscreen of the canopy is problematic.  It isn’t as long as the production models and it doesn’t follow the lines of the nose.  My plan is to sand the front base of the windscreen to reduce the length and if I’ve built up the nose properly it will at least get me in the ball park.  

I will be posting my wip on Hyperscale in the next few weeks I hope.  Looking forward to these new decals Kursad!  Norm

2 hours ago, Norm DUbay said:

I’m getting ready to start two YA-10s using the first release of the Tamiya kit from 1977.

I hope we see that on the In Progress board! 

I did the JAWS earlier with the early Tamiya kit+ and have plans for another so will watch with interest.  I'm thinking one of the early pre production grays for the next one.

reF5Pj2.jpg

Thanks Dutch, Norm DUbay and skyhawk174!

That build was a bit Frankenstein, Aires wheel sponsons, Monogram tail.... 

On 7/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, KursadA said:

I will release the A-10 Early Years sheet soon after I return to the US in a couple of weeks.

Look forward to it. Any artwork for the sheet's depicted aircraft yet?

I've got the early issue Tamiya A-10 with the MASK-10 boxtop and was going to build it in the boxtop scheme, but after building prototypes of the Eagle and Hornet to use with the Caracal decals, maybe I need to reconsider the use of the A-10 kit. Who knows, with my CAD super-powers, there may be something in it...

None of these prototypes can be easily built from any kit in 1/48. Both the Hornet and Eagle took a lot of work, but I think the A-10 will be more problematic. Gotta love a challenge.

1.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

On top of the new parts, the other things I changed were

- squared wingtips

- filled dogtooth on leading edge of tailplanes

- ESCAPAC seat

- filled gun port and vents

- added small scallops on the fin trailing edge/fuselage join

- used exhausts with petals fitted

- reshaped spine profile

- shortened speed brake and squared the front end

- used ResKit early F-15 wheels

- filled tailhook opening

No list I could find, just used good reference photos.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:01 PM, CraigSargent said:

I've got the early issue Tamiya A-10 with the MASK-10 boxtop and was going to build it in the boxtop scheme, but after building prototypes of the Eagle and Hornet to use with the Caracal decals, maybe I need to reconsider the use of the A-10 kit. Who knows, with my CAD super-powers, there may be something in it...

None of these prototypes can be easily built from any kit in 1/48. Both the Hornet and Eagle took a lot of work, but I think the A-10 will be more problematic. Gotta love a challenge.

IMG_5494.JPG

I see you haven't painted your F-18 yet. I double dog dare you to go with this scheme. 

Prototype F-18

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, KursadA said:

Perhaps we can get Arnaud at BAM Models interested in providing some conversion parts?

Add me to the list of interested parties if it helps sway opinion, although it sounds like there's a lot of subtraction over addition.

I think I’m changing my mind on what kits I’ll be using for the YA-10 builds.  Originally was going to use the early Tamiya kits but I’m switching to the Hobby Boss ones.  I had started some mods on the Tamiya ones and wasnt happy with the results.  The notched tails looked good from the side but looking at them from the leading edge base looks too fat.  Also the wings need to be shortened and I don’t think they will look right as the wings have a slight taper out toward the wing tips.  The Tamiya wings appear to have a constant chord.  There will be less scribing to do with the HB kits as well particularly the bottom of the fuselage.  Just my two cents.