Query on aircraft supporting various U.S. space programs.

This is a query about aircraft as opposed to space craft! However, this might be the best place to ask this question.

I am trying to compile a list of aircraft that have been directly involved in support operations for the various space programs run by the USA/NASA over the last 65 years, from Project Mercury until the present day. Not all aircraft would have been operated by NASA, as my list illustrates. These are the aircraft I have identified so far as being directly involved in the support of US space programs. These can all be built in 1/144 currently and that is my plan.

• NASA C-118 - Radar Range Calibration Aircraft (late-60's to early-70's)
  • NASA C-121 Constellations (X 3) - Radar Range Calibration Aircraft (late-60's to early-70's)
  • (Numerous) USMC Sikorsky HUS-1 helicopters- Recovery Operations (Project Mercury)
  • (Numerous) US Navy Sikorsky SH-3A helicopters- Recovery Operations (Project Gemini) 
  • (Numerous) US Navy Sikorsky SH-3A helicopters- Recovery Operations (Project Apollo)
  • Aero Spacelines/NASA Boeing 377 "Super Guppy"- transport of components/rockets for Apollo program 
  • USAF SC-54 (41st Air Rescue Squadron) - dropped pararescue men to the Mercury - Atlas 7 capsule containing Astronaut Scott Carpenter after splashing down far from the intended landing area
  • USAF HC-54 (79th Air Rescue Squadron - Callsign "Naha Rescue 1") - dropped pararescue men to the Gemini 8 capsule containing Astronauts Neil Armstrong and David Scott after splashing down far from the intended landing area

The first six on my list are reasonably well-documented and plenty of photos exist of the various aircraft. There are numerous recovery helicopters to choose from and I have selected a HUS-1 and Project Gemini SH-3A to build while "Old 66" is the obvious choice for the Apollo missions, given that it picked up the greatest number of astronauts! 

I'd love to build the Super Guppy in the original Aero Spacelines colour scheme but no decals are available and I'd never be able to mask that paint scheme with my limited modelling skills. I may have to build the more straightforward NASA scheme.

I have been unable to identify either of the two C-54 airframes involved in the recovery operations for Mercury - atlas 7 or Gemini 8. Does anyone know of the s/n numbers for the two airframes involved or can think of a resource that might possibly offer up the serial numbers? Also, can anyone identify the likely paint schemes they would have worn at the time of these missions? I'd really like to build one of these C-54s for my planned project.

Finally, are there any other aircraft that come to mind that have directly supported U.S./NASA space programs? The "Vomit Comet" is one that might fit in that category too. Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer. 👍

LD. 

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned the NKC-135 ARIA but it looks like its outside of my ability to convert a standard C-135 kit, sadly.

The CORONA satellite program is a US space program, albeit not a NASA one! There is also the JC-130B and HH-53C of the 6594th test group. Thanks.

LD.

There are quite a few aircraft that have been used to support manned space programs. I would include the NASA F-104s, T-38s and F/A-18s in this category. They have been used as flight chase planes, testing shuttle tile materials, crew familiarization flights, etc. Another candidate would be a NASA B-52 as one of them (need to look up the tail number but likely Balls 😎 test dropped shuttle solid rocket boosters while testing recovery systems. Then there is the Gulfstream jets configured as Shuttle flight simulators for landing practice.....

Have fun modeling!

Mike

On 7/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Loach Driver said:

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned the NKC-135 ARIA but it looks like its outside of my ability to convert a standard C-135 kit, sadly.

The EC-135 version of ARIA was kitted by AMTech in a modified version of the KC-135 originally made by AMT.  It's long OOP but you still see them on the secondary market occasionally.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/amtech/build_amtech_729202.shtml

The EC-18 version (based on the 707/VC-137 airframe, rather than the KC-135) can be built from the Heller 707 or (with slightly more work) the E-3 AWACS. DB Productions made a resin nose conversion set, which was picked up along with most of their line by David J Parkins/Flightpath and seems to still be available:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17942

4 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

The EC-135 version of ARIA was kitted by AMTech in a modified version of the KC-135 originally made by AMT.  It's long OOP but you still see them on the secondary market occasionally.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/amtech/build_amtech_729202.shtml

The EC-18 version (based on the 707/VC-137 airframe, rather than the KC-135) can be built from the Heller 707 or (with slightly more work) the E-3 AWACS. DB Productions made a resin nose conversion set, which was picked up along with most of their line by David J Parkins/Flightpath and seems to still be available:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17942

Thanks for the info in relation to the ARIA aircraft. I am hoping to build these aircraft in 1/144th scale. With so many of these aircraft being large four-engined types, my house wouldn't be big enough to accommodate them all in 1/72 scale! I see that Welsh Models did a kit of the C-135 ARIA in 1/144 so might try that option.

Another type that I can add to my list is the Boeing HC-97G. Two were deployed to Pearce Air Base in Australia in support of the Apollo program. 53-0126 and 53-0122 were the aircraft concerned. 

https://www.airhistory.net/aircraft/3823/Boeing-HC-97G-Stratofreighter

The photographer who posted up these photos has conflicting dates on some of the photos. He says they were either deployed in 1966/67 or between October 1968 and March 1969. Hopefully he is correct about the reason for their deployment!

LD.

Understood on the scale preference/size limitations. Unfortunately 1:144 limits the options, although you'd probably be able to find a conversion someplace like Shapeways and the base C-135 and 707 airframes are available from several sources.

More broadly speaking, with your subject matter goal the vast majority of aircraft that have ever flown for NASA (particularly from its creation out of NACA to the end of the Apollo era) could be broadly classified as "support" for the manned space program - I think you just have to figure out your definition of "direct."  DRAW Decal does a wide range of NASA decals in all major scales that may fill in several types - just one example being the UH-1s that NASA used for transport and patrol around Canaveral and other sites:

https://www.drawdecal.com/product-category/airline-livery/military-nasa/?swoof=1&product_cat=nasa1642150537&really_curr_tax=896-product_cat

On 7/21/2023 at 10:53 PM, aircommando130 said:

HC-130 from the 33rd rescue squadron at Kadena supported the splashdowns 

in the Pacific. C-141A transported equipment and brought the Gemini/Apollo crews 

back to Houston from Hickham AFB.

Cheers...Ron

Thanks for this info. I think I have found pics of the HC-130s deployed for operations in support of Gemini XII. Also found a pic online of the C-141 that brought the Apollo 11 isolation unit, with Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins inside, from Hickam to CONUS. 👍

LD.

8 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Understood on the scale preference/size limitations. Unfortunately 1:144 limits the options, although you'd probably be able to find a conversion someplace like Shapeways and the base C-135 and 707 airframes are available from several sources.

More broadly speaking, with your subject matter goal the vast majority of aircraft that have ever flown for NASA (particularly from its creation out of NACA to the end of the Apollo era) could be broadly classified as "support" for the manned space program - I think you just have to figure out your definition of "direct."  DRAW Decal does a wide range of NASA decals in all major scales that may fill in several types - just one example being the UH-1s that NASA used for transport and patrol around Canaveral and other sites:

https://www.drawdecal.com/product-category/airline-livery/military-nasa/?swoof=1&product_cat=nasa1642150537&really_curr_tax=896-product_cat

Yes, the selection of 1/144 does reduce the possible options for aircraft I can choose for this project but space is a big issue as is time. However there are still plenty of aircraft that can be built in this scale depicting many of the aircraft involved in supporting the various American space programs. And yes, my use of the term "directly" is open to interpretation but I suppose I am referring to aircraft that were deployed in support of the various missions at the time the missions were occurring (very often USMC, USAF and Navy aircraft) as well as predominantly aircraft from the NASA fleet that supported the missions in the period before the missions took place.

Thanks also for the draw decals link. I had forgotten how good the first 747 in silver that carried the Enterprise looked!

LD. 

You can also include the HH-53Cs and HC-130Ns of the 67th ARRS based at RAF Woodbridge, who provided downrange SAR coverage for Apollo, Skylab and Shuttle missions - the Kings would tank the Jollies down to The Azores, where they would be on stand-by in the event of a post-launch abort...

Airfix_Magazine_1975-03.thumb.jpg.f385ffb7e3e311239b7effa32328707e.jpgAirfix_Magazine_1975-03a.thumb.jpg.f740a7d7c0a15f0cbabddbcf982ea973.jpg

Edited by andyf117

Thanks, Andy, for digging out those scans. Didn't realise the 67th were also involved in providing SAR/Recovery coverage for these missions. A 67th HC-130 will be added to my list in place of a 33rd ARS one. I'm not sure what kit to get though, the Minicraft one is apparently not very accurate while the AModel one looks like a challenging build!

Another one to add to my list is USCG HH-52A, 1445, which was used during hoist training for the crew of Apollo 9. 1445 was attached to Air Station Houston at the time. I have an HH-52A in 1/144th scale that is 3-D printed, and it's tiny!😬 

LD.   

• 2 weeks later...

The USAF's HH-3 39683 can also be added to the list of aircraft that flew in support of NASA's space programs. It flew rescue cover in the Cape Canaveral area during the launch of both Gemini 6 and Gemini 9. It will take some work to convert AFV Club's SH-3 into a HH-3. 😬

LD. 

Have a chat with Paul Smith from the IPMS (UK) NASA Special Interest Group. The SIG have an extensive selection of information on all aspects of the NASA programmes so should be able to put together a possible hit list of aircraft/airframes. (surprised you haven't mentioned the 747/shuttle combo - but it is a bit of a beast to store/display)

When I spoke with him on Sunday, Paul was focused on the 'vettes driven by various astronauts - but we also talked about M113s.

The SIG contact details are available on the IPMS UK website (scroll down the list to NASA) - https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-network/special-interest-groups/

Perhaps also talk with the guys at SIG 144 - if you are looking for something specific and it's available in 1/144, they are likely to know about it.

This was the NASA SIG display in 2019 at Scale ModelWorld.

NASA SIG 2019.jpg

Edited by John Tapsell

Hi John. Thanks for the heads-up on the NASA sig and also the 1/144 one. I have a few queries that I would like to forward to both groups.

The 747-Shuttle combo is one I have looked at but failed to mention. That thought of building that Revell combo kit is scary, given how big it would be, even in the smaller scale.

LD.

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2023 at 2:38 PM, Da SWO said:

NKC-135 ARIA (based out of Wright-Patterson AFB)

The ARIAs were EC-135Ns. They were all permanently stationed at Patrick AFB during Apollo, and belonged to the Eastern Test Range.  There was an NKC-135A, 55-3123, that carried the ALOTS pod (Airborne Lightweight Optical Tracking System) that snagged all the great video and still images of the first stage separation for the entire Apollo (and the last couple of Gemini) program.

Edited by Illu
  • 2 months later...

And don't forget the Bell 47 trainers for LEM pilots to practice vertical descents.

I believe NASA bought some off the shelf 47G-3Bs...if so, the Italeri kits would work.

However, they might of also used ex- Army H-13Gs earlier, in which case you'd have to use the 1/35 Revell kit.