RC-135U Combat Sent 1:72

Continued on the left wing and engines. The kit engines are to small so I ordered a set of Flightpath engines. It was the last set, lucky. Since I need more CFM56 engines for other projects, I casted a set. The pylons on the Flightpath engines are all the same, which is perfect for the C-135 wings. All you have to do is to remove the generator bump on the right side and make it fit to the wings. If you wish to use the engines for an E-3D/F Sentry, you have to alter the inboard pylon. First I saw a problem in the height to the ground, but a dry fit came up perfect. The dimention of  the i/b engine  intake to the ground was 13 mm (0.512") which is in the real world almost a meter (39") under normal configuration on the A/C.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Edited by AWACS-RESIN

So far thank you very much for all your comments.

Further continued painting the hor. stabs and the CFM56 engines. As a little eye-catcher,I painted Eng. No. 2 side cowls in FS 16173. Background: This A/C had a hard landing in March 2022 and engine 2 touched the ground. After that, cowlings from a KC-135R were installed. The decals on the Engine are out of my production. I think it was a good idea not using the kit engines.

Eng. 1 and 2 are now on the wing and some filling of gaps is next. Also the L/E flaps, o/b and I/b T/E flaps are installed on the left wing. T/E flaps are in Take Off position. Next week, I will paint and decal the wing.

All have a good weekend.

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

47 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Very nicely done.   I love how you did the replacment panel on #2 engine.   Since this panel came from a KC-135R, wouldn't it be matt vs. gloss?

Correct. But to place decals on it, it needs gloss paint. When the model is finished, I will put a matt coat over it.

On 8/21/2023 at 4:49 PM, AWACS-RESIN said:

If you compare the parts with good pics of the Spectre Cheeks, you will the the same poor quality. Means the quality doesn’t get better. If you copy bad quality, it stay’s bad quality.

EXCUSE ME?!... the Spectre were better than anything else (which was NOTHING at that particular point in time!) 🙄

As for whether Air Graphics copied Spectre, it would appear so... I can most certainly recognize my own work there! 😒  I do not know what has become of the stuff from Spectre since Mark Bilas untimely demise... perhaps his family sold things on to Air Graphics.  But I will agree with you on one thing... making copies of copies could have resulted in shortening and shrinkage.

Comming closer to the End.

Left wing was painted and decals applied. I prepaired the righr wing a bit differnt this time, since I installed the outb. engine first and then the wing. Next were the flaps in take off position. Now the wing is ready for painting.

Thanks again for looking.

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

4 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Very very nice.   I am amazed at how well you are able to blend the unpainted wings in with the fuselage to get a seemless look.   

Thanks a lot.

Painting wing to fuselage is not so difficult. In the meantime I did it on 8 of my large models. If the paint is from the same jar and not mixed, you do not see any difference.

cheers.

After painting and deacaling the right wing, installing the horz. stabs, I applyed the final cote to the model and added the wire antenna. Now the Combat Sent is finished.

That give me the time to start another RC-135. No sure yet if it will be an RC-135V or S. If it becomes a V-model, it will be with the first antenna configuration but the updated cheeks. If it becomes an RC-135S, it will be without cheeks. W‘ll see. But fact is, I build it with lowered flaps and rised speed brake.

Thank you very much to all of you for you comments.

Shortly, a link will be added to the dispaly case for more pic.

76.jpg

Edited by AWACS-RESIN
7 hours ago, AWACS-RESIN said:

That give me the time to start another RC-135. No sure yet if it will be an RC-135V or S. If it becomes a V-model, it will be with the first antenna configuration but the updated cheeks. If it becomes an RC-135S, it will be without cheeks. W‘ll see. But fact is, I build it with lowered flaps and rised speed brake.

Thank you very much to all of you for you comments.

Why not build both a Rivet Joint and Cobra Ball?  And your Combat Sent is simply fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...