Request: 1/72 USAF F-35A "Next Wave"

Had a suggestion for Caracal for the HAS or TAM 1/72 F-35A for later this year into next.

Several new tail codes have appeared recently, or are about to appear. These will be from Florida, Wisconsin and soon to be Alabama. Think it'd be neat to jump on these, especially since one in particular is directly replacing F-22As. All of these are brand new F-35s that don't have the old style RAM coating. Strangely, blue canopy coating has been seen on some of these too! 

Here is the suggested list:

-----

F-35A

>Air Combat Command
-20-5626, 95th FS, 325th FW, 'TY', Tyndall AFB, 2023 "325th FW Unit Markings"
-20-5627, 95th FS, 325th FW, 'TY', Tyndall AFB, 2023 "95th FS Unit Markings"

These F-35As replace the F-22s that were previously at Tyndall, which left after Hurricane Micheal in 2018. As of August 2023, there are 4x F-35s assigned to the 95th FS, but I am only able to find pictures of the first two en mass currently. New tail code for the F-35, and new flashes. These F-35s have a blue canopy coating. 

-----

>Air Force Materiel Command 
-20-5578, 461st FLTS, 412th TW, 'ED', Edwards AFB, 2023 

This is a new build that was sent to the 412th TW for F-35 development, which is unusual. Several photos also show this aircraft with a curious deep blue canopy coating

-----

>Air National Guard

Alabama ANG

100th FS, 187th FW, 'AL', Montgomery ANGB, 2024

The 100th FS will get their first F-35s in December, replacing the squads F-16s. Their first aircraft, 22-5716 (AF-416) is currently in production. 

I cannot independently confirm this, but there is a chance that at least one of these aircraft could have a red tail, customary to this squadron. Several artist renditions do show this.  

Nevertheless, new tail code for the F-35, and certainly new flashes. 

-

Wisconsin ANG
-20-5620, 176th FS, 115th FW, 'WI', Truax Field ANGB, 2023 "115th FW Unit Markings"
-20-5621, 176th FS, 115th FW, 'WI', Truax Field ANGB, 2023 "115th OG Unit Markings" 
-22-5687, 176th FS, 115th FW, 'WI', Tuax Field ANGB, 2023, "115th FS Unit Markings" 
-20-5629, 176th FS, 115th FW, 'WI', Truax Field ANGB, 2023 

These F-35s replace the F-16Cs that the 176th FS previously utilized. New tail code for the F-35, with some new flashes. 

-----

While I would agree some of those photos suggest the possibility of a new canopy finish, given the irridesecent effect of the Have Glass canopy film I would be hesitant to definitively call it a different color unless you've seen it in person and up close.  The effects of different lighting conditions and the canopy "bubble" shape mean that the same glass can appear wildly different at different times.  It's very possble the new production batches have a different film composition that imparts more of a blue tint than the often reported "gold," but not sure that's confirmed yet.

As to your suggested new offerings, I agree the new batch of operators deserves some decal love.  I'll be especially happy to see what the real 'Redtail' scheme looks like and have it available in 1:72.

26 minutes ago, Quixote74 said:

While I would agree some of those photos suggest the possibility of a new canopy finish, given the irridesecent effect of the Have Glass canopy film I would be hesitant to definitively call it a different color unless you've seen it in person and up close.  The effects of different lighting conditions and the canopy "bubble" shape mean that the same glass can appear wildly different at different times.  It's very possble the new production batches have a different film composition that imparts more of a blue tint than the often reported "gold," but not sure that's confirmed yet.

As to your suggested new offerings, I agree the new batch of operators deserves some decal love.  I'll be especially happy to see what the real 'Redtail' scheme looks like and have it available in 1:72.

We'll definitely find out more, since the apparent blue tint has been appearing on new F-35As. If it is indeed a new composition in the coating, its visually very pretty and will be fun to replicate. 

A red tail F-35A would be amazing! A few have speculated that it wont happen, but seeing as a few F-35s have already had fully painted vertical stabilizers, combined with the cultural significance of the Red Tails, Id say its more likely to happen than not. 

I REALLY want those Tyndall frames too.

I saw the blue tint on a few of the new delivered RAAF F-35As up in Alaska, last week for RFA 23-3. 

Half the jets had the standard canopy tint and the others, the blue. So it's a thing for sure. 

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

I agree this is a great idea - a new 1/72 sheet is long overdue and I will need a new 1/48 one in a few months as well. I will put these subjects in the research agenda.

Thanks Kursad!

In the meantime, Ill continue to monitor for additional entries, as well as keep an eye on the Alabama F-35s. 

• 3 weeks later...

The first RDAF F-35As have arrived in Denmark. Whilst these are technically not the first F-35s with Danish emblems, these are the first to actually go to their home country. 

These aircraft are marked L-007 to L-010.

L-001 to L-006 are operated by the 308th FS out of Luke AFB 

Lets consider L-007 and L-008 

0612452.jpg

L-008.jpg

Edited by Captain Tyler
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 9:07 PM, Captain Tyler said:

Could always propose an F-35 "Early Years" sheet, including AA-1, AF-01, AF-02, BF-01 and BF-02.

Yes, I propose what Captain Tyler said! F-35 Early Years sheet! AA-1 to start it off!

Cheers!

Larry

Alright Kursad, I think we are zeroing in on a full sheet here. 

So far, we have:

2x Tyndall 

1x Edwards

4x Wisconsin ANG

2x RDAF 

2x RNAF

I am still waiting for news on the 100th FS Alabama ANG aircraft. The first few aircraft should arrive by the end of the year, which means, they may be rolling off the line in a matter of weeks. I will preferably pick up at least the first 2 or 3 they get.