Monogram 1/48 P-39 Question

I was just over on the Bay looking to see about picking up the venerable Monogram P-39 kit in 1/48.   Holy crap!   Is there something with this kit that has caused it to be worth it's weight in unobtainium?   I can't beleive how much people are asking for this kit.   I guess I'll just wait for Monogram to re-release the kit or pick it up in a trade somewhere.

1 hour ago, peter havriluk said:

Charlie, you're absolutely right.  But uninformed buyers who overpay support the undeserved prices.  I think supply and demand drive price more than value.

I do think there are a lot of uniformed buyers, or those who get caught up in a bidding war! My stash is big enough I can hold out for a “price is right”  on these classic kits 

3 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

I do think there are a lot of uniformed buyers, or those who get caught up in a bidding war! My stash is big enough I can hold out for a “price is right”  on these classic kits 

I always wear my uniform when I'm in a bidding war....  :beer4:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 1:38 AM, ChesshireCat said:

unless it just has to be a Monogram kit, you might look for an Accurate Miniatures P39. I've got a couple and they see to be a good kit

gary

Looking online the Accurate Miniatures kit is basically the Eduard P-39/P-400 kit.   Both very good but both even more expensive than the Monogram/Revell kits on Ebay.  Eventually I'll find a kit that is a reasonable price.

Don’t be waiting for a Revell re-release to pick one up cheap. Cheap is apparently not in their vocabulary anymore. The 1/48 B-24D was recently issued at over $100 retail. Yep. A 40 year old mold with new decals is now a C note. 

https://spruebrothers.com/rvg03831-1-48-revell-germany-b-24d-liberator/

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5604-b-24d-liberator--169049#

Rick L. 

2 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

Don’t be waiting for a Revell re-release to pick one up cheap. Cheap is apparently not in their vocabulary anymore. The 1/48 B-24D was recently issued at over $100 retail. Yep. A 40 year old mold with new decals is now a C note. 

https://spruebrothers.com/rvg03831-1-48-revell-germany-b-24d-liberator/

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5604-b-24d-liberator--169049#

Rick L. 

That's crazy!   At some point I should listen to the Domestic Supervisor.  I tell her I need this certain kit and she tells me I have enough kits.   She's right of course.  I'll never finish what is filling up the basement.

The prices that some of the manufacturers have been asking are going to drive or keep our younger modelers from being able to enjoy our hobby.  I know it's been keeping me from buying certain kits.   

Edited by Drifterdon

I'm curious about the demographics of the kit-buying public.  My suspicions are that the plastic kit hobby is supported by folks who started kit modelling in their childhood, and that few sales are being made to kids spending their allowance/odd job money on kits.   Young folks have found other things to do.  Does anyone have any idea if I'm reading this right?  

1 minute ago, peter havriluk said:

I'm curious about the demographics of the kit-buying public.  My suspicions are that the plastic kit hobby is supported by folks who started kit modelling in their childhood, and that few sales are being made to kids spending their allowance/odd job money on kits.   Young folks have found other things to do.  Does anyone have any idea if I'm reading this right?  

Peter, I think you are spot on.   

On 9/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, peter havriluk said:

I tend to agree with you, but I think not all kits are "marketed" for the younger crowd.  I think there is a fair share of younger people modeling, just not subjects focused on this site.  I am not completely in the loop, but I think a lot of the Gundam kits are fairly costly.  Also, I don't blame the manufacturers either, the cost of everything is higher these days, but it does seem like ROG is higher than most, especially since most of their kits are re-pops of older molds.