Rare Plane Vacforms' 1/72nd YB-17

I'm a newbie here. I've had a few friends who posted here and thought I'd give it a try. I made a commitment to start this project in a B-17 group build at Brit Modeler, it seems to me that most model manufacturers, and even builders believe that there were only two types of B-17s, the "G" model and the Memphis Belle. I recently stumbled on and snagged the ancient Rare Planes kit and figured I'd dial it back to the beginning.

IMG_0090_hkNiWCKh1oy3oBn9dcGN8c.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

I've heard from some who have picked up one of these, but the clear parts were missing or yellowed.

IMG_0411.JPG

But mine are clean and pristine.

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

I had recalled the engraved details as rather heavy, but it's really as good or even better than some modern injection kits. So I've started chopping her apart. 

IMG_0416.JPG

After a minor hurricane scare and some domestic work issues, I got a little time at the model desk. I built up the Academy B-17D interior to wedge into the Rare Planes kit. It took a bit of grinding to make it fit, I used the modern method of building up, then painting. That's new to me, I'm used to the old fashioned method of painting as you go. The Academy parts may not be exact, but it's easier than having to scratch build as they did when the kit was first released.

IMG_0417.JPG

While building up an interior for the YB-17 I started this one too. Again, I used the modern method of building up, then painting. That's new to me, I'm used to the old fashioned method of painting as you go. This one is intended to be a movie plane.

mary_ann.PNG

The "Mary-Ann" from:

Air_Force.jpg

Will post updates as they occur...

Dave

Wow! Tough audience. Over 60 looks, no one chimed in. I guess I need to show some progress.

IMG_0421.JPG

I hacked apart the right wing (please excuse the political implications.) And hacked loose some of the clear parts. I taped the fuselage for a test fit. the wings turned out nearly perfect without tape.

IMG_0420.JPG

A slightly different view. You might notice the Sharpie marker ink, I've learned that out lining the parts prior to cutting exposes the plastic that should be removed. Rather than spending a week scrubbing the thing on a sheet of sandpaper, I took a rotary tool a drum sander and ground off the bulk of the exposed white plastic. I followed up with a sanding block and things fit like a glove...

More to come,

Dave   

Pretty smart idea to utilize the Academy cockpit. Fits well after your encouragement. 
Like the others have said, vac kits have always been something I've stayed away from. So we're all anxious to see what beauty you can make from yours. 

-Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, Xboxman523 said:

Is it possible to get a view of the instructions so we can read all the words? I'm looking to be drawing the YB-17 in the future and the instructions would help a lot.

Let's see here...

IMG_0093.JPG

Looks like I'll need to work on this...

Edited by UberDaveToo
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 8:22 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

You're a brave man for tackling a vac-u-form kit, best of luck with her.

Steve

What he said!  Braver than I to tackle this one.  But you are making wonderful progress.  As to the order of building vs painting, I don't see that it makes that much difference, except if you intend to show much detail.  Carry on!  Oh, like you avatar, BTW.

Edited by Dutch
On 9/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, UberDaveToo said:

Wow! Tough audience. Over 60 looks, no one chimed in. I guess I need to show some progress.

A slightly different view. You might notice the Sharpie marker ink, I've learned that out lining the parts prior to cutting exposes the plastic that should be removed. Rather than spending a week scrubbing the thing on a sheet of sandpaper, I took a rotary tool a drum sander and ground off the bulk of the exposed white plastic. I followed up with a sanding block and things fit like a glove...

Hey Dave, sorry, I've gotten used to Tapatalk forums where one can click a quick emoji type "like" without commenting.

Like your idea with the rotary tool drum sander, will have to try that.  Great work so far, keep going.

3 minutes ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Hey Dave, sorry, I've gotten used to Tapatalk forums where one can click a quick emoji type "like" without commenting.

Like your idea with the rotary tool drum sander, will have to try that.  Great work so far, keep going.

Yeah, I noticed that. I was just thinking of discussing that with the management...

On 9/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, Xboxman523 said:

Is it possible to get a view of the instructions so we can read all the words? I'm looking to be drawing the YB-17 in the future and the instructions would help a lot.

It looks like I'll have to scan them, I can't get a clear enough photo...

• 2 weeks later...

Building a vacuformed model is one level of insanity - the fuselage and wings and all that stuff. But how in the TamiyaExtraThin(or choose other appropriate deity) are You going to build vacuformed propellers? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for You!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...