Need a good enamel or laquer semi-gloss white paint

Hi all,

I'm getting close to painting my 72nd 737-800, and am struggling to find a good semi-gloss white paint, now that Rustolem (bastards!!) has killed off the Model Master line. A rattle can paint is fine. I tried Krylon's appliance white straight from the can, and was that ever a mistake! I'm still sanding out my 737 after that mess. Suggestions? Thanks, Fred K.

14 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi all,

I'm getting close to painting my 72nd 737-800, and am struggling to find a good semi-gloss white paint, now that Rustolem (bastards!!) has killed off the Model Master line. A rattle can paint is fine. I tried Krylon's appliance white straight from the can, and was that ever a mistake! I'm still sanding out my 737 after that mess. Suggestions? Thanks, Fred K.

I have enough MM to last me but, if I did have to look elsewhere, I'd go with Mr. Color.

Steve

Tamiya LP lacquers are good, but I have found that some enamels don't like to stick to the gloss white (haven't tried any acrylics over it so I can't comment on their adhesion).  The enamels I've had problems with were some Model Master gloss colors (blue angel blue for one), and to a lesser extent Testors gloss red in the small square bottle.  But the LP gives a gorgeous gloss finish.

I've had success with Krylon Fusion gloss white in the rattle can for large areas, but that needs a primer underneath if you've done any body work on the kit as the virgin surface will give a different sheen than any areas that have been worked on (sanded, etc.) and the different is very noticeable.

6 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I have enough MM to last me but, if I did have to look elsewhere, I'd go with Mr. Color.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Another vote for Mr Color. Fred.

4 hours ago, boom175 said:

Try the new Tamiya Laquer line.

I was eyeballing Tamiya. I've recently tried some of their other laquers and have been pleased with them. Thanks Craig! Fred.

1 hour ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Tamiya LP lacquers are good, but I have found that some enamels don't like to stick to the gloss white (haven't tried any acrylics over it so I can't comment on their adhesion).  The enamels I've had problems with were some Model Master gloss colors (blue angel blue for one), and to a lesser extent Testors gloss red in the small square bottle.  But the LP gives a gorgeous gloss finish.

I've had success with Krylon Fusion gloss white in the rattle can for large areas, but that needs a primer underneath if you've done any body work on the kit as the virgin surface will give a different sheen than any areas that have been worked on (sanded, etc.) and the different is very noticeable.

Hi Joe,

Krylon Fusion was the paint that I used on the kit that made a big mess. The problem was that I sprayed it straight from the can. It might have behaved better had I de-canted it. Test sprays showed it work good from the can, but on the model... nope! I'm still sanding the fuselage out and have to rescribe a bunch of panel lines after that fiasco! 

I'm thinking that I'll go with the Tamiya white laquer. Anything special that I should thin it with? Being a laquer, it should work fine with the MRP Boeing gray color that I'll be shooting on the wings. I've had problems in the past spraying their paint over enamels.  Thanks for the intel! Fred.

3 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi Joe,

Krylon Fusion was the paint that I used on the kit that made a big mess. The problem was that I sprayed it straight from the can. It might have behaved better had I de-canted it. Test sprays showed it work good from the can, but on the model... nope! I'm still sanding the fuselage out and have to rescribe a bunch of panel lines after that fiasco! 

I'm thinking that I'll go with the Tamiya white laquer. Anything special that I should thin it with? Being a laquer, it should work fine with the MRP Boeing gray color that I'll be shooting on the wings. I've had problems in the past spraying their paint over enamels.  Thanks for the intel! Fred.

Mr Color Leveling Thinner works great with Tamiya lacquers and acrylics.

Sorry the Fusion didn’t work for you.  I’ve had good luck with it, but I don’t think I did a large surface like a 1/72  737 with it.  I mainly used it for smaller models, like a 1/72 Phantom or smaller, or for things like landing gear and wheels.

Hi Fred K! One of my favorite modeling subjects are airliners. My go to gloss white for years was Model Master Gloss White as I liked its "refrigerator white" color along with its adhesion and its ability to be sanded and polished. As my supply of MM Gloss White is about to run out, I have come up with two options that work. 

• Use the small bottles of Testors Gloss White enamel (#1145) that comes in the 7 ml bottles. This seems to be the same or very similar formulation as the larger MM gloss white paint.
  • True North Gloss Artic White enamel (4007) looks to be a great substitute to MM. While I have not finished an airliner yet with this paint as I am using up the last of my MM gloss white, I have shot some test pieces and they look good. A thinner other than the True North brand that works well is Odorless Mineral Spirits from Home Depot or similar store. I met the owner at the IPMS Nats in July and he does know his stuff. Here's the link to the True North website:  https://www.truenorthpaints.com/ . BTW, I bought 4 or 5 bottles of different colors at the show and tested all of them. I will likely make these my default enamel model paints as the MM supply dwindles.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

16 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Mr Color Leveling Thinner works great with Tamiya lacquers and acrylics.

Sorry the Fusion didn’t work for you.  I’ve had good luck with it, but I don’t think I did a large surface like a 1/72  737 with it.  I mainly used it for smaller models, like a 1/72 Phantom or smaller, or for things like landing gear and wheels.

Hi Joe,

I haven't completely given up on the Fusion white just yet. I'll de-cant it, and try it that way later. I'm pretty sure that my mistake was shooting it straight from the can. In the meantime, I've picked up some Tamiya gloss and flat white from Sprue Brothers, and will mix them 50/50, and give that a go. Thanks for your input! Fred.

3 hours ago, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Hi Fred K! One of my favorite modeling subjects are airliners. My go to gloss white for years was Model Master Gloss White as I liked its "refrigerator white" color along with its adhesion and its ability to be sanded and polished. As my supply of MM Gloss White is about to run out, I have come up with two options that work. 

• Use the small bottles of Testors Gloss White enamel (#1145) that comes in the 7 ml bottles. This seems to be the same or very similar formulation as the larger MM gloss white paint.
  • True North Gloss Artic White enamel (4007) looks to be a great substitute to MM. While I have not finished an airliner yet with this paint as I am using up the last of my MM gloss white, I have shot some test pieces and they look good. A thinner other than the True North brand that works well is Odorless Mineral Spirits from Home Depot or similar store. I met the owner at the IPMS Nats in July and he does know his stuff. Here's the link to the True North website:  https://www.truenorthpaints.com/ . BTW, I bought 4 or 5 bottles of different colors at the show and tested all of them. I will likely make these my default enamel model paints as the MM supply dwindles.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the intel! I will check out the True North paints. In the meantime, I have decided to pick up the Tamiya gloss and flat white, and will play around with the mixing them to get the desired sheen that I want. 

I have always had a passing interest in airlines, but just couldn't get into 1/144th scale. I model mostly 1950's and later military aircraft in 72nd scale, so the 1/144th scale airliners just weren't fitting in. Although I can certainly see why the smaller scale would appeal to most folks..... those 72nd airliners are big!

But then BPK came out with their line of 72nd 737s and I was hooked on airliners! They really have a lot of "pop" in that scale. Just last night I started separating my Titan Model 757-200 wings and fuselage from the vac backer in preparation for finishing my 737-800. The 757 will be next. I've been eyeballing their big 747 as well...... God what a rabbit hole! 🤣 Thanks, Fred.

Edited by f5guy