It's been a while since anyone posted something "Hooker"ish so I figured I'd post my rendition of a dirty D.  It's the Italeri boxing of the F back dated to D.

I tried some different painting and weathering techniques to achieve a worn late 90's Hook, built for a former crew dog I served with in Savannah. Hope you guys like it. 

NYwAv6.jpgYkrWsn.jpg6Zvl5d.jpgdksexk.jpgepeB24.jpgYNjXLu.jpgMzOM9O.jpg

1 hour ago, Tank said:

That’s a good looking build. 👍👍

Thank you, Sir

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Pretty real looking!

I was trying to get away from the usual pre-shaded panel lines look we all use regularly. I feel like I pulled off the correct colors for sun faded and oil soaked CARC  but I feel like I’m missing some depth. Not sure really how to get that, maybe some filters of some sort? :hmmm:

3 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

I feel like I pulled off the correct colors for sun faded and oil soaked CARC  but I feel like I’m missing some depth. Not sure really how to get that, maybe some filters of some sort?

On a paint mule or test sheet of styrene, paint the same as this project and test adding just odorless mineral spirit. You can add maybe burnt sienna oil point to the mix.  To change up the spots and see how that looks. 

8 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Look really really good!

On a side note, why are the hooks painted with that tan color and not the carc?

Tim 

I believe big Army was trying to find a camo color suitable for the Middle East AND Europe when they fielded the F model. Why weren’t new build Blackhawk Mike’s the same color you ask? Again, Big Army🤷‍♂️

Me personally, I hate the “baby sh*t green” color, I could never get used to it. Fortunately it looks like the block II F-model Chinooks are coming from Boeing painted the old CARC green again.

Edited by Hooker169
can't spell
4 hours ago, Tank said:

On a paint mule or test sheet of styrene, paint the same as this project and test adding just odorless mineral spirit. You can add maybe burnt sienna oil point to the mix.  To change up the spots and see how that looks. 

I’m gonna experiment with that. Maybe layered oils like you suggested. I’ve got the Hobby Boss -47 on the bench right now. I’d like to paint it up similar to this, another “dirty D”. 
Thanks Tank!

2 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

I’m gonna experiment with that. Maybe layered oils like you suggested.

Here is videos that might help.

About 1:06 in he is talking about making the wet stains with semi gloss. 

Two other ideas are Liquidtex gloss medium or Vallejo Water Effects. In very small/thinned amounts. These might be too “wet” of a look. You can play with adding a dull coat over to knock it down a little. 

HTH and look forward to seeing more.

17 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

I believe big Army was trying to find a camo color suitable for the Middle East AND Europe when they fielded the F model. Why weren’t new build Blackhawk Mike’s the same color you ask? Again, Big Army🤷‍♂️

Me personally, I hate the “baby sh*t green” color, I could never get used to it. Fortunately it looks like the block II F-model Chinooks are coming from Boeing painted the old CARC green again.

I wasn't aware of the Mike model color change. They all still look carc to me. I wouldn't mind seeing a mike model in the hook tan.

Tim

15 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I wasn't aware of the Mike model color change. They all still look carc to me. I wouldn't mind seeing a mike model in the hook tan.

Tim

That’s correct, Mikes never went to the light sage green. I was pointing out that the F Chinooks and M Blackhawks were fielded around the same time but big Army decided against changing Mikes for reasons only known to them.

Honestly, seeing one in light sage would be pretty fire though 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 5:19 PM, ST0RM said:

Pretty cool looking -47. The faded and bleached paint, plus patches and dirt look great. 

-Jeff

Thanks Storm

On 3/12/2024 at 11:34 AM, anvil6 said:

That's a great looking build!

Is it safe to say that all the parts for a Delta are in the new boxing?

Thank you and Yes, everything is essentially there for a D. The kit fuselage in all actuality represents a C more than anything but Italeri did include enough bits to represent an early block I F.  Its missing the IR louvers covering the clamb shell doors, engine and forward pylon vents if your trying to build a later block I.