1/48 AMK MiG-31 BM Wheel Well Part Orientation?

Hey all,

Just beginning work on the subject kit, and I have a question, as the instructions are very much less than clear.  In steps 2 and 3, for parts L4 (port side) and L15 (starboard side) respectively, it is not clear how these parts are supposed to be oriented.  I think these parts are supposed to connect to the gear bay doors when they are installed, which doesn't come until later.  Where those parts are mounted is clear, but not how they are to be positioned.  I've looked everywhere for other builds or photos of the real plane, with no luck.  Any help? 

Agreed, and the link was helpful.  Thank you so much!

Now I've got one more question...has anyone completed their MiG-31 with either or both the wing leading edge slats, or the flaps, deployed?  Maybe it's just something with me, but on most of my airplane models, if there are posable control surfaces, elevator, rudder, flaps, slats, etc., I usually try to show the surfaces in their deployed or off center position.  However, with this big jet, perhaps there would never be an occasion where  the plane, onnn the ground, would ever have slats and/or flaps deployed.   Does anyone know if I'd be completely wrong to show one, the other or both in other than their neutral positions?

11 hours ago, Curt B said:

Agreed, and the link was helpful.  Thank you so much!

Now I've got one more question...has anyone completed their MiG-31 with either or both the wing leading edge slats, or the flaps, deployed?  Maybe it's just something with me, but on most of my airplane models, if there are posable control surfaces, elevator, rudder, flaps, slats, etc., I usually try to show the surfaces in their deployed or off center position.  However, with this big jet, perhaps there would never be an occasion where  the plane, onnn the ground, would ever have slats and/or flaps deployed.   Does anyone know if I'd be completely wrong to show one, the other or both in other than their neutral positions?

No idea, but I built mine flaps/slats down....

20181218_142734.jpg

I'm building one too (for like years...) and given the overwhelming evidence I'll leave the aerodynamic surfaces on my MiG neutral. This seems to be the normal situation, as boring as it may sound. But I think one can always come up with a story how the surfaces on your build might be differently since that can actually happen in the world anyway!

On 3/14/2024 at 12:08 AM, Illu said:

Flaps and flaps.  MiG-31s don’t have slats.

Technically they do. It is just that they have been locked in place for many many years, decades even. IIRC they were locked in place very quickly after they became operational, and when they moved, they didnt move much, like 5 degrees or something. Dunno what happened exactly on the factory floor for later series etc.

Flaps should be up in neutral position on the ground, and the horizontal stabs with a slight angle upwards. If you are so inclined (no pun intended) i would recommend fixing the angle of the airbrakes/front landing gear doors. If one fits them exactly as the kit wants, then they have too shallow angle but they should be at about 45 degrees. Simple fix iirc, by simply not putting the actuators for them all the way down in the wheel well.

(also, gosh, havent posted in aaaages here)

1 hour ago, Berkut said:

Technically they do. It is just that they have been locked in place for many many years, decades even. IIRC they were locked in place very quickly after they became operational, and when they moved, they didnt move much, like 5 degrees or something. Dunno what happened exactly on the factory floor for later series etc.

Flaps should be up in neutral position on the ground, and the horizontal stabs with a slight angle upwards. If you are so inclined (no pun intended) i would recommend fixing the angle of the airbrakes/front landing gear doors. If one fits them exactly as the kit wants, then they have too shallow angle but they should be at about 45 degrees. Simple fix iirc, by simply not putting the actuators for them all the way down in the wheel well.

(also, gosh, havent posted in aaaages here)

I think what Illu was trying to say is that the Mig-31 has trailing edge flaps and leading edge flaps. From the what I can see the leading edge devices look to be hinged from the lower surface and droop very little when extended. Since they don't extend out on tracks like slats do this would make them leading edge flaps.

Cheers,

John