X-15 finsihed some quick pics!

here is my finished Special Hobby 1/48 X-15 the pics aren;t to great as i didn't have time nor the light to do it justice. The canopy is not attached and i did is just loose so i can show others the cockpit detail.

Our%20Digital%20photos%20312.jpg

Our%20Digital%20photos%20304.jpg

Our%20Digital%20photos%20303.jpg

Our%20Digital%20photos%20320.jpg Brothers lol (x-15 and my x-1)

all comments much appreciated, some better pics on the way

Al :cheers:

Thanks for the nice comments andy.

Sebastijan - Erm well the kit conforms to some common feelings in the forum this week of underestimating kits. I underestimated this kit in terms of work required and the time it would require to build. Its a nice kit, the cockpit is nicely detailed and made from resin as is the ejector seat which is equally nice (although lacking seatbelts). There are some SIGNIFICANT fit problems:

1.) The cockpit tub fits well the the walls of the fuselage however it require lots of dry-fitting and sanding to fit it so the fuselage halfs fit together.

2.) Similarly this applies to the wheel well of the front landing gear which requires sanding and dry-fitting with the cockpit to make the fueslage halves fit.

3.) There are signifcant gaps between the wings and fuselage, tail fins and tail rudders that require lots of filler.

4.) The resin plug that forms the exhaust requires some serious filling as well.

apart from these filling issues the kit is good fun and relatively straightforward though thte instrctuions sheet is a little confusin and the fuselage halves (like others i have read about on the web) were warped like bananas but straightened out easy enough with the gluing.

The decals are all nice there is a spelling mistake on some of them with peroxide spelt "peroxhyde" instead.

A very fun and enjoyable kit despite its shortcomings down to its nature of being a short run kit.

I strongly recomend it especially if you are interested in the record breaking craft such as the x-15, x-1 and other reveloutionary aircraft.

AL :cheers:

Your X-15 as well as X-1 are indeed nice builds. :P

I have both boxings of X-15(black and white) from Special Hobby.

And your build inspire me to build one of mine.

One question if you do not mind:

What color did you use and how did you weather the airframe?

Stephen Lin

I primed the airframe with tamiya xf-2 white and then sprayed some of the airframe with a light dusting of tamiya chrome. I then sprayed tamiya Xf-1 flat black over ti at a low pressure thinned down so i could accentuate the panels by applying more paint to the panel lines. when this was done i masked some panels and shaded them with lighter shades of dark grey that i mixed from 80% flat black and 20% flat white. what i do sometimes is apply the masking tape to just one panel line and shade along that line in the direction of the airflow to give a worn lookl o one side of the panel. I did weather it with some pastels in nthe direction of the airflopw but its kinda hard to see in the pics.

hope thats helped anyone

Definately build the x-15 and the x-1 that kit is such a beauty, so easy and quick and has a lovely little cockpit! :rofl:

Al :unsure:

• 1 month later...